Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Crician Guest

Cool Problems with SD300 sd card please help

Hi
    I'm new to this forum and also new to digital photo so I may be worring for something stupid but my original 16 mega sd card given to me with my new canon ixus 40 or sd300 its show just a 14 mega capacity instead of it's full 16 plus when for exemple if I set for M1 (1600 x1200) image size, the camera indicates a maximum of 24 pictures but actualy it doese not more than 20 or even 18 shots than the card is full......why ???? it's a card problem or a camera problem ?? What should I do !!

Thanks

Ciao

There is no problem with your card... It shows less mb than what is supposed, that is because there is formatting info(not sure its the right term) on the card... Every card you own will show a little less than what written.

As for the pictures... Well, the number your camera gives you is just an approximate, because you will notice that not all of your pictures have the same size... even if all the settings were the same. You see the size of your picture depends on the color, the brightness, the ISO and many factors... So I'd say its a good thing that u can't do as many pictures as your camera thinks... That just means that ur files take more space, so they are less compressed, which means there is less quality loss.

Arrow

Don't worry about what the 16mb card does as it's no more than a teaser.
    you'll want to buy something that's at least 128mb and when you do, you'll wish you'd have gotten 256mb or 512.
    Fact is that these cards have come down in price dramatically and it is what sets these cameras apart from film cameras.
    You'll find that you take three pictures where you used to take one and then keep the one where noone had his eyes shot or finger up his nose.
    The other two you erase to free up the space.

size matters

Really 16 mb is not enough. Take at least a 256 or even better a 512 mb SD card. You can take about 440 pics with that, but only about 4 minutes of movie in the highest setting! And this movie-mode (which is super at 60 fps!!) is also the reason to buy a fast card, otherwise the camera stops because the card can't keep up with the big datastream.

Exclamation

I just bought a Canon SD300 today... I like it a lot but I already have problems (though it's probably just because I'm completely new at this!). The LCD is often blurry, especially when I press the shutter button halfway down, instead of focusing it blurs completely. It's not so much a problem when I turn it on, but after taking one relatively clear picture, the LCD turns blurry.
    Also, when I turned it off just now the lens didn't retract... and when I turn it on it beeps a few times and turns off again. And the lens are still sticking out... please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LIUnatic
    I just bought a Canon SD300 today... I like it a lot but I already have problems (though it's probably just because I'm completely new at this!). The LCD is often blurry, especially when I press the shutter button halfway down, instead of focusing it blurs completely. It's not so much a problem when I turn it on, but after taking one relatively clear picture, the LCD turns blurry.
    Also, when I turned it off just now the lens didn't retract... and when I turn it on it beeps a few times and turns off again. And the lens are still sticking out... please help!!!
    Return it. It should not be blurry like that, and the lens should always retract when turned off. You got a lemon.

office depot 256mb sd card for $34.95

throw the 16mb sd card in the trash. canon should just not ship with any memory and give you $1 or $2 off the price. its such a waste. how many 16mb sd cards have to die?? please, spare them.
    anyway, 256mb cards are so cheap now. office depot has a pny for $34.95 minus a $10 rebate. fry's has a 256mb for $29 with no rebates.
    not sure if they're fast enough to shoot unlimited video. but they are cheap.