Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is there a maximum SD memory for camera's?

Hey Guys,

Second post here but long time lurker/researcher!

Having bought my Coolpix 3700 a while ago I am looking at purchasing some more SD memory. My question that I have been unable to find the answer to is this. Is there a maximum capacity SD card for a camera? For instance I have 256M and am looking at buying 512M or even 1G but will it work, is there a limit to a camera's forward memory capacity ability?

Thanks in advance!
    Coolpix 3700 owner

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Hey Guys,

Second post here but long time lurker/researcher!

Having bought my Coolpix 3700 a while ago I am looking at purchasing some more SD memory. My question that I have been unable to find the answer to is this. Is there a maximum capacity SD card for a camera? For instance I have 256M and am looking at buying 512M or even 1G but will it work, is there a limit to a camera's forward memory capacity ability?

Thanks in advance!
    You should be ok to about 2GB. But I think Nikon is using FAT32 so that may not be true anymore.

Either way 2GB is more than enough.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

These were the quick responses that I received from the crew at Nikon..

Hello Luke

I cannot see why you could not use a larger card the camera is capable of handling the size so that should not be an issue. As I stated in my previous email as seen on the website larger cards can be used but we cannot guarantee their operation. As long as you have at least one appoved card for troubleshooting purposes you can go ahead and purchase a larger card. Since it can handle cards that have been tested and approved up to 512mb there is no reason to beleive larger cards would not work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Nikon has tested the following cards and approved their use in the Coolpix 3700:

SD memory cards:
    SanDisk 16/32/64/128/256MB
    Panasonic 16/32/64/128/256/512
    Toshiba 16/32/64/128/256MB
    Nikon/Lexar 16MB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation. Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information. Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting.

Multi Media cards (MMC) are not recommended and should not be used.

Thanks for using Nikon products!
    Coolpix 3700 owner

mc_cool Guest

Smile

Transcend 1Gb works fine with Nikon 3700.

Haven't tested movie mode properly yet... But I gonna test it soon.

Sandisk 1GB works with it also. Call me old fashioned or paranoid but I'd be bothered using a card larger then 1GB due to possiblity of failure ( very rare but present ) . If you really need lots of room - get a few 1GB cards.

Maximum Size SD for Nikon4100

Just purchased a 8GB memory card for my Nikon 4100
    Any idea what size is compatible as it is coming up with the error unable to read.

SD cards max out at 2G. (Well, there are some 4G cards but avoid them, they're a hack.) All 8G cards are SDHC which looks the same as SD but isn't. Your Coolpix 4100 doesn't support SDHC, you'll need to get an SD card. Check the labels; all SDHC cards will be labeled as such.