Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question SONY DSC-H5 vs PANASONIC FZ30

The Sony DSC - H5 has good image quality, low noise levels and an enormous high resolution LCD screen. However, it has high purple fringing levels. The Panasonic DMC - FZ30 has the DSLR feel. It has an extended number of controls which makes this a better camera for creative photography. However, the image quality is not so good. It has high noise levels, which makes it obligatory to have to further process the images in the computer.

So, which one is the best camera? Is it really worth having to sacrifice image quality with the FZ30 for obtaining a bigger number of controls? Or is it better to have good image quality and not having to process the pictures in your pc, but not obtaining the extended features with the Sony DSC - H5?

PS: SONY DSC-H5 and Panasonic FZ30 owners, please post your answers¡¡¡

[QUOTE=Juan Camilo]Or is it better to have good image quality and not having to process the pictures in your pc, but not obtaining the extended features with the Sony DSC - H5?
    QUOTE]

Well all photos should be processed on your computer, all photos taken by digital cameras will need a little sharpening, levels etc
    Never yet seen a photo that appeared perfect on the camera screen not needing a quick boost on the pc as they all show darker on the computer screen (cameras boost the pic to be viewable on the relatively small lcd).

Purple fringing is perhaps not as bad as it seems especially from the early reviews, and even if it is can easily be cured by processing with the Correct function in Panorama Tools or with a similar function in PTLens .
    Last edited by Sintares; 06-13-2006 at 08:14 PM.

I think you've answered your own question - both are very good cameras but it's all about image quality in the end so it has to be the H5.

Before you run out and pickup a H5...I thought I'd let you know that I was a H5 owner till last night. I returned mine because I was getting battery power related problems. The reading would fluctuate and it would suddenlly shutdown. With fully charged Sony NiMH batteries. And third party batteries like the Panasonic Oxyrides.

Read up on other H5 posts first is my advice.

Surprisingly, users of the H1 have told me they have not run into the battery power problems I have. Also, this problem is happening with many H5 owners. Not just me. Now, I'm considering the H1. Have always like the picture quality I've seen from Sony cameras.

Also considering the slim/compact T30 and T9. Plus the Fuji F30.

Good luck.

Thumbs up I'll keep that in mind

Thank's for your warning DarkDTSHD, I'll keep it in mind when buying my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Camilo
    Thank's for your warning DarkDTSHD, I'll keep it in mind when buying my camera.
    Let me add to my last post. There has been reports of other H5 users having battery power readout errors. But no one on this forum has had sudden shutdowns but me.

Perhaps, I was unlucky and got a damaged camera. Not sure what happened. Was it the Panasonic Oxyride batteries I used as the first set of batteries? Don't know.

But, I think I just might give the H5 one last chance. Will buy from a local Sony Store as they have a 30 day return policy. So, I'd have nothing to loose but time. And, I'd find out once and for all, if the H5's are a gamble. And should I get a second dud of a H5. I think I'll try my luck with a Canon S3 IS.

Many S3 owners have mentioned to me that they have not had a sudden shutdown problem. Nor a problem with the battery level indicutor. Which with the S3 is a blinking red icon on the LCD then the battery gets low. Like that design more than the one used in the H5. So, if I go with the S3 I'll expect not to enounter the problems I had with my H5. One less thing to worry about.

I really do want a digital camera with a 12x optical lens. The S3 was my other choice before I chose the H5 any how.

Tell us what you end up with.
    Last edited by DarkDTSHD; 06-15-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Thumbs up Better luck with your next H5!!

Will buy from a local Sony Store as they have a 30 day return policy. So, I'd have nothing to loose but time. And, I'd find out once and for all, if the H5's are a gamble.
    DarkDTSHD, it would be great if you posted your findings when you get the replacement for your damaged H5, I hope you have no problems this time. I'm currently waiting for a friend in the US to buy me a camera, since due to taxes; here in Colombia they cost twice as much. It would be very helpful to know if all the H5 cameras in general have a power battery issue. Thanks a lot for your help¡¡¡

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Camilo
    DarkDTSHD, it would be great if you posted your findings when you get the replacement for your damaged H5, I hope you have no problems this time. I'm currently waiting for a friend in the US to buy me a camera, since due to taxes; here in Colombia they cost twice as much. It would be very helpful to know if all the H5 cameras in general have a power battery issue. Thanks a lot for your help¡¡¡
    Hello Juan,

I was just reading more messages on this topic of mine on another forum. Turns out that with the H5, when using NiMH batteries, it's not uncommon to see the battery level indicator fluctuate. From saying it's full to half-full. Even though you had just fully charged the battery.

Apparently, NiMH batteries can't really hold a charge well initially. Drop down a little before stabilizing. And will show you 1/4-full when it shuts down. That cameras with Lithium-ion batteries are best.

I just found out that the Sony T30 uses a lithium battery and can "...tell you exactly how much battery energy is left".

So, I don't know now. Maybe I won't get another H5. Forget about the fact that it has a 12x optical zoom and go with the T30. I think it IS important that the camera uses a good high quality battery and that you can get an "exact" reading of the remaining battery power. Which as far as I'm aware is only possible with cameras using Lithium batteries.

I mean the H5 and T30 are almost identical in every way. Price and features. Except for a few things like:

H5=12x optical zoom (T30 has 3x optical zoom) and is bulky. Cannot put in shirt/jacket pocket.

T30=Lithium battery, 58MB internal memory, and is slim.

Good luck. Please tell us which camera you end up with.