Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Angry Problems downloading from XT

When I download images from my XT using the Adobe software that came with the camera, the downloaded images all are defaulting to 72 dpi. I've double-checked the camera settings about a million times over to ensure that I'm shooting on high resolution, and I've tried to find a way in the software to reset the default download, but I'm missing something somewhere. Some good it does to have a camera that will take beautiful high resolution photos when I can't get them downloaded that way! To add insult to injury, the images from the Canon powershot camera that cost half the $$ download at a default of 180 dpi.

Now my commercial printer wants images from the point & shoot camera instead of the XT. Arg!!! Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Jen

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    dpi is meaningless applied to a digital image.

dpi is only relevant when it's applied to a printed image.

Here's how it works:
    Your XT takes an image (at high-res) of 3456 x 2304 pixels (8mp)

You can print that at any dpi.

Now, let's make an 8 x 12 print

Dividing 3456 by 12 gives us 288 dpi
    Dividing 2304 by 8 gives us 288 dpi

Thus, your final print will be 288 dpi. Now print dpi is entirely different from printer dpi which is the count of ink droplets per inch.

It seems to me that your commercial printer doesn't understand dpi either.

Ah, I probably have the wrong terminology here. (I'm very much a digital photography novice.) Sorry about that.

The setting that is coming across at 72 is the one Photoshop calls "resolution". The images all are downloading from the camera at a default "resolution" of 72 pixels per inch. (So I think I should have said ppi, not dpi.) A 16x20 print at 72 ppi resolution isn't much to brag about, but to adjust the ppi to anything above that, I have to resample, and resampling up obviously creates extrapolation problems and even uglier prints.

Since another camera's resolution is defaulting at 180 ppi, and since I'm shooting with the XT on the high resolution setting, it seems to me that I ought to be able to download images from camera to computer with the resolution at well above 72 ppi. I suspect I need to change either a software or hardware setting somewhere, but so far I'm not figuring out wich one(s).

Ignore whatever PhotoShop tells you. What are you trying to do anyway?

This problem arose in that an author wants a few images for illustrations in his book. However, the images selected are the ones that are downloading to my computer at 72 ppi. Their printer wants the highest resolution file possible, and is not happy with the 72 ppi jpeg file. So I'm trying to download the images from the memory card to the computer at the maximum possible resolution.

Just download the files. As long as they're shot at the highest resolution, they'll be fine.

It sounds as though you're talking to some dimwit at the publisher, rather than somebody who knows what they're talking about. Ask for their boss as they obviously know less about the printing industry than the average doorknob does.

A file of 3456 x 2304 can have any number of ppi/dpi that you wish. If you want to print to 1ppi then your print will be 3456 inches x 2304 inches. If you want to print to 1000 ppi then your print will be 3.456 inches by 2.304 inches. Whatever Photoshop tells you your dpi is, is irrelevant.

Indeed, the printer is stupid. Very stupid. Dots per inch is just what thet means, dots per inch. Pixels per inch is also just what it is, pixels per inch. The photo is nothing per inch, it is just pixels. And it is up to the printer how many pixels he wants to fit into an inch... just a setting HE has to make (or he actually does not even have to make that, he only has to fit the photo in the place on the page in software and scale it).

Your photo are not in inches, just pixels.... and the smaller you print it, the more pixels you will have in an inch.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30