Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Is

It's just sinking in for me. This will have IS.

Following discussions on other forums, the Cannonites aren't much interested in having in-camera IS. Besides being concerned about Canon's engineering hurtles (I don't really get it because now 2 others have done it), but also a fear that it won't be as good as In-Lens IS.

Also; thinking is that Canon still has to recoup lots of engineering costs.

Lastly; there's a lot of film shooters using IS lenses.

Now I'm not here to renew this discussion here, but I think that will play out with the Sony.

If:

1. the CCD is what we all expect (excellent IQ and high ISO performance),
    2. flash sync is accordingly better (1/500th - don't know if this model has that but the next could),
    3. IS is built in,
    4. and the lens lineup has some exoticly amazing stuff (as we all know the Zeiss connection can produce).

That's an inticing combo. Think of it, Zeiss lens, IS, 1/500th flash sync, great CCD. For someone doing low-light shots a lot, this could sound attractive. Even for amatures, it'll tip the scales for some - maybe many.

Hmmm. Still mulling it over .... hmmmm. This'll be interesting!
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Ok, no idea how often I have to explain this, but here we go.
    You can not let a full frame sensor move so that you can have in-body IS. The sensor of a Sony/Pentax/KM has to be able to move a few milimeters in every direction. This will mean the sensor will actually move out of the image circle on a full frame 35mm SLR.

This is a BIG reason to have IS lenses. Else you need a totally different line of lenses for the 1.6x crop or 1.3x crop cameras, it will get confusing as hell.

There are technical advantages keeping it in the lens, and with this FF problem and also of course patent issues, Canon and Nikon will probably stay with IS in lenses. Of course IS in lenses will go down in price in future.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Ok, no idea how often I have to explain this, but here we go.
    You can not let a full frame sensor move so that you can have in-body IS. The sensor of a Sony/Pentax/KM has to be able to move a few milimeters in every direction. This will mean the sensor will actually move out of the image circle on a full frame 35mm SLR.

This is a BIG reason to have IS lenses. Else you need a totally different line of lenses for the 1.6x crop or 1.3x crop cameras, it will get confusing as hell.

There are technical advantages keeping it in the lens, and with this FF problem and also of course patent issues, Canon and Nikon will probably stay with IS in lenses. Of course IS in lenses will go down in price in future.
    Cold, you are so quick with your absolute answeres. Honestly, some imagination can resolve all issues. Its the nay-sayers unwilling to be open minded that are usually, in the end, in err. True, we need to recognize the difficulties and confront them, but they are not insurmountable. If a technical problem (like the image circle thing) arises, then deal with it - or go around it.

Off hand, if you want IS on a FF camera, then simply crop the image when IS is on. So what if it's now a 1.3 crop while IS is on - it'll get the sweeter spot of the lens. Actually, on-demand cropping isn't a bad feature all by itself.

Second, suggested by someone else here, is a TC with IS. Sure, it would need to talk to the lens. I don't know if this has some inherent reason for not working (like the moving IS element must be at the center focal point - probably).

Third; I'm not saying to put it on FF. They have a whole crop of 1.6 cameras.

Bottom line is, the competition will have it soon, albiet on cropped cameras. It can be lived without, but its a major factor in many people's decision process.

You have a fine mind and buckets of knowlege, just that nay-saying. Umm, you been hanging out with that horse Andy was talking about? OK, bad pun. Juuuust messin' wit ya!
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by Vich
    1. the CCD is what we all expect (excellent IQ and high ISO performance),
    If it's like the D200 ISO performance, then I wouldn't expect too much at over 400. It's no CMOS.

Somehow I really doubt that the new Sony/Carl Zeiss is all that what it should be. There are some low rent CZ lens that are contracted to Cosina. I won't be surprised these will be one of those too if pricing is to be palatable to the general consumers.

But has to concede that it does have some nice features.

EOS 30D | EOS 350D | EOS 88 | A95
    EF 50mm f1.8 MKI | EF-S 10-22 | EF 28-105 mkII | EF 17-40 F4L| EF 70-200 F4L
    LowePro AW 200
    Canon 550EX Speedlite
    RC-1 IR Remote
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF881 Ballhead Tripod
    Dynatran Carbon Fibre CF901 Monopod

Veritas Images

VI-Blog