Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy
    For me it seems that Sony took same inspiration from Olympus dust protection system.
    D50
    i think they also took same inspiration from sigma's camera with protective shield over the sensors... it said it has 2 anti dust system, the shake and the cover.... and i knew that sigma has that the same cover anti dust system...
    Canon PowerShot G9

ALL GONE! NO SLR
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM II (sold)
    Canon 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG non-APO
    Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC
    Velbon CX-444 tripod
    Canon BG-E2
    Kata W92

http://flickr.com/drew_viii - add me up to your contacts
    Photography is not just a hobby. It's a pleasure and a privilege!

this one seems like a winner so far. now we'll have to see how the lens line up turns out and if there are any problems

i'm thinking this camera's gonna take a good bite out of 30d and d200 sales at $800

hopefully this kind of competition will force canon and nikon to come out with a stabilized sensor of their own SOON (so i don't have to jump ship and sell my stuff or dish out the big bucks for a stabilized lens)
    Last edited by ReF; 06-06-2006 at 06:15 AM.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by daddy
    Price is really too high to have a chance against Eos 350D an Nikon D50
    I'm not so sure... you get considerably more bang for your buck... the Rebel XT generally costs about the same, especially if you want a decent lens better than the 18-55 the kit comes with... the price for the XT in stores is about the same, and I'm sure the online price for the sony will be on par with what you can get the XT for online.

as for the d50, you get features that are more on par with the d70s then the d50 for the extra money.

I've been holding on buying a digital SLR to see if Nikon is going to update the d70s, although now I'm very much looking forward to checking the Sony Alpha out when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by ReF
    this one seems like a winner so far. now we'll have to see how the lens line up turns out and if there are any problems

i'm thinking this camera's gonna take a good bite out of 30d and d200 sales at $800

hopefully this kind of competition will force canon and nikon to come out with a stabilized sensor of their own SOON (so i don't have to jump ship and sell my stuff or dish out the big bucks for a stabilized lens)
    The a100 looks pretty darned impressive... Make that "very" darned impressive. If the images turn out to be as good as the camera, I may start building a small collection of Minolta lenses in the very near future.

About my only niggles are the lack of an info LCD, and using the flash as the AF illuminator (similar to Canon).

I agree with you Ref, this camera could definately, and very seriously, impact the current market leaders, and potentially kill-off the four thirds consortium.

For the first time in a couple of years, I am enthusiatic about a new dSLR, and can't wait to see what Sony throws at us next.

P.S. It's too bad that they didn't find a way add the very nice laser AF system from the 7xx and 8xx series.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 06-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    Proprietary hot shoe = dumb idea that won't help win them any converts...
    Will Sony ever learn?

Maybe it's in the Sony designer handbook, "get'em on the accessories, never share our customers, everything proprietary".

Although, if by some wierd twist of fate, they match the Nikon D200 in IQ (esp. high ISO), have built in IS, Dust protection, and have true Carl Zeiss lense IQ, then $900 will indeed attract some converts. Dream on, ahe?
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Canon can NOT make the sensor have IS over the entire lineup, since only APS-C DSLR's can do that because of the reduced image circle. Full frame sensors would get in trouble (ie. sensor moves out of the image circle). From a purely technological standpoint IS in a lens is a better idea (You can't for instance make advanced sensors with off-center microlenses when the sensor is allowed to move a few mm.)

And I am also sure there are some licensing/patent issues involved in this area too (just like with USM).

And probably the sensor of this Sony will match what Nikon offers. If their software(processing) is up to spec and the range of lenses has some good ones inbetween there (the old Minolta lens lineup is not all that spectacular in that respect), Sony will not have to wait their stated 3 years to gain a 25% market share.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Canon can NOT make the sensor have IS over the entire lineup, since only APS-C DSLR's can do that because of the reduced image circle. Full frame sensors would get in trouble (ie. sensor moves out of the image circle). From a purely technological standpoint IS in a lens is a better idea (You can't for instance make advanced sensors with off-center microlenses when the sensor is allowed to move a few mm.)

And I am also sure there are some licensing/patent issues involved in this area too (just like with USM).

And probably the sensor of this Sony will match what Nikon offers. If their software(processing) is up to spec and the range of lenses has some good ones inbetween there (the old Minolta lens lineup is not all that spectacular in that respect), Sony will not have to wait their stated 3 years to gain a 25% market share.

All very good points especially as the AS system applies to full frame sensors. But if I'm Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax and Samsung I have just seen my entry level cash-cows tipped.

Sony is no stranger to signal processing at the extremes. If the 10MP sensor is as good as the D200, this is a winner. If it's better, and DRO/Bionz work as advertised, then this is a killer.

Now, what if Sony launches a professional dSLR? From what I have read KM had one in the works.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

I agree that Sony may have a winner in this one. It would seem a bit off to pay double for a D200 with in effect only buying weather sealing extra, for instance. If their 10.x mp model performs better than a D200 noise wise for instance, and a bit more smooth in gradients, it will not only compete with entry level cameras, but also with a Canon EOS 30D, a Nikon D80.

KM always had pro cameras.... one of the reasons their marketshare was so very small is their lens lineup. This is where Canon and Nikon are on top. And a LOT has to change there before they will be a viable option for pros... a nice body does not make a nice system.

Canon was very slow to enter the digital camera market, and had to play catch-up with Sony for years. In DSLR land they have been the main player since the introduction of the EOS D30. It will be interesting how Sony's new DSLRs will influence Canon. And to see if Nikon can keep up (they are comparatively a small company). The Dx2 gave/gives good hope Nikon CAN keep up though.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Guess we will have to see what happens with Zeiss, and whether the 9D turns into the a200.

Sonys advantage is a clean slate, but with some history in the Minolta line (I never considered Konica to be a real contributor, but more of the funding unit.

Sony has some pretty deep pockets, and are more a threat to everyone except Canon... but maybe even Canon down the line.

Pretty exciting stuff.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Lightbulb The A-mount stretched out much further...

just Minolta. TAmROn, SIGMA, and Tokina provided and still provide lenses with this mount, also. The range stretches much further that just what SONY... uh, bought. They have more than a head start... they just grabbed 30% of the market, by the gonads...

Stock purchases might be in order... it's on the down tick at 44.6... watch the sales charts in July, when they release.

Name:  sne.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  71.9 KB

One hundred shares, now... might just go a long way to getting you a new A100 in August. Just a thought...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-06-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi