Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Sony Alpha 100 dSLR Announced

Newest dSLR on the block from the recent buyers of Konica-Minolta:

Sony Alpha 100 dSLR
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

A $900 body seems an odd point to enter the market...

too expensive to take much of a bite out of the D50/Digital Rebel camp, yet is there enough there to tempt the more serious photgraphers, who presumably will already have a significant collection of Canon/Nikon glass, away from the D200/30D
    D300 | MB-D10

18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR | 105mm f/1.8 AI-S | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR | 80-200 f/2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | SB-900 | SB-600

Thumbs down The 18-70mm lens...

The only lens that seems unusual is the 18-70mm offering. That is close the to perfect walk-around focal length... except they didn't open it up. At f/3.5-5.6, that's not enough juice for anyone to make the leap. It appears to be just another mediocre 'KIT' lens. (Yawn...)

To me, it appears that they are simply offering a roster of K-M, TAmROn and SIGMA medium-end glass. There is nothing extraordinary here... so I'm probably sticking with the Canon... at least for for the time being and do them a big favor. Call me if things get significantly better... otherwise, this is just a rehash of two-year old technology.

Now, if they came out with f/2.8 glass in a 18-70mm or even a 17-200mm... they'd effectively kill off everything. Ah yes, the dream offering, eh? Still, it's not there... wow, another BLOWN opportunity for what could have been a super launch! It's not like they didn't know this was going to happen. (shaking head in disappointment.)

Oh well... Zzzzzzzzzzzz Shake me when they do... oh yeah, I forgot... it's a got "anti-shake" technology built into the camera... and full sensor, too? No, that's NOT a full sensor... that's a LARGER than normal APS-C sensor. Much better idea than trying to get the same effect for the KM-7D's 6.1MP. So... the lenses are still geared to APS-C style shooting, although it can make use of 35mm lensing. Not much of a change, here. Kind of reminiscent of the Fujifilm S3 (12MP).

Okay, y'all... as I consider this... I'll bite. Honestly, I'll get one of these SONY ALPHA bodies... in July, just for the hell of it and "take one for the team!" Heck, the price is right ($900) (considering they are still selling KM-7Ds for about the same price) and they are effectively "dumping" these 10MP units to initially flood the market. God knows, I've got glass... others have glass... heck, we all might have glass... from the earlier Minolta MAXXUMs. Might as well get some more mileage out of it. This darn thing better have "standard" flash hot-shoe, but I kind of doubt it. They are already talking about all sorts of new flash items. Upon closer examination, they have the KM-style of foot on the flashes... so it's SONY/K-M flash or nothing.

Hey... is there a new "money-tree" out there or something?

Check this link for more...

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20565
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-05-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    Newest dSLR on the block from the recent buyers of Konica-Minolta:

Sony Alpha 100 dSLR
    They're so brave. IS + full APC sensor + larger viewfinder + 2 1/2 inch LCD, good so far. Word on price? No mention on the Sony site.

Their relationship with Zeiss should give them a confidence boost.

EDIT: Oh, I see BritKev has a price ($900). Yeah, very odd. Maybe they figure on starting a Megapixel war. Some sample high ISO shots will come along soon and we'll see if their APC sensor can cut it at over 10MP.
    Last edited by Vich; 06-05-2006 at 06:19 PM.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by Vich
    Some sample high ISO shots will come along soon and we'll see if their APC sensor can cut it at over 10MP.
    I'm guessing this will be their weakness!??
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

10mp Ccd

Only time will tell how these pictures will shape up but I got a pretty good feeling they'll will be similar to those from the Nikon D200... since Sony did supply Nikon the CCD used in it.

My thinking is if Sony can make things right (marketing, technology, etc.), they could come up on top or atleast on par with Nikon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maxxum 7D, 7000
    AF 17-35 f2.8-4, 28-85 f3.5-4.5, 28-80 f4-5.6, 50 f1.7, 75-300 f4.5-5.6

Proprietary hot shoe = dumb idea that won't help win them any converts...
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Dust Protection

For me it seems that Sony took same inspiration from Olympus dust protection system.
    Price is really too high to have a chance against Eos 350D an Nikon D50

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    Proprietary hot shoe = dumb idea that won't help win them any converts...
    Will Sony ever learn?

Maybe it's in the Sony designer handbook, "get'em on the accessories, never share our customers, everything proprietary".

Although, if by some wierd twist of fate, they match the Nikon D200 in IQ (esp. high ISO), have built in IS, Dust protection, and have true Carl Zeiss lense IQ, then $900 will indeed attract some converts. Dream on, ahe?
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10