Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Does anyone know there is a way to measure read/write speed of a sd card? a link?

Hi,

I am wondering whether anybody know whether there is a way to measure speed of a sd card for its read/write speed, software or a card reader maybe? I contact Patriot support, they claimed that the card marked as 133x has write speed of 16mb/s. But, I use a sd card reader with USB 2.0 interface by transfering 381MB movie from PC(Dell P2.8Ghz, 512Ram) to Patriot card, it measures up only ~4mb/s. I did a couple of times, same result. I am not sure the way I did my test had some meaning or not, pls advise, thx.

By the way, Patriot claims that they only have all cards tested on Sanddisk card reader, and they are write speed of 16mb/s for 133x sd card, and they said that my card reader may have limitation to prevent it reading/writing with higher speed than ~4mb/s. Very strange claim to me, since USB2.0 should be able to support up to ~400mb/s data transfer, right?

Card reader

You are right about the USB 2.0, but I found out the same: a SD card of 150x (22,5 MB/s according the factory) reads only with 4 MB/second. I tried it with other cards, all fast cards were working with this speed. My cardreader is now 2 years old, in those days they didn't have much High speed cards, so the factory could use first their "slower" components. Even a new reader is not always that fast, when I asked in a shop about the speed of a certain reader I found out that the plug was usb 2.0 (480 Mb/s) but the reader was maximum 66x. So USB 2.0 is not the guarantee for High Speed!!!

and sometimes, a USB2.0 device is only USB1.1 . It's some kind of marketing trick. You'll only get 480mbps when you have a USB2.0 Hi-speed device...

Retired: Fuji A205S
    Current: Fuji F6500FD

My album -> http://wutske.deviantart.com/
    My blog -> http://my.opera.com/wutske

Thumbs up I'm using USB 2.0 Card reader with my MacBook Pro

(Running in its OS X partition; haven't tried the same on Windows partition) A little "i dot Connect" reader that cost me $7.99 at my local Fry's. I haven't measured the data throughput, but when my machine is "ingesting" photos (~2MB image size) from my PQI 133X card into the computer, it practically looks like movie frames flipping by, they move so FAST! (OK, maybe "movie frames" is an exaggeration) Compared to my old 1.1 connection, it's dramatically faster.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by wenmang
    By the way, Patriot claims that they only have all cards tested on Sanddisk card reader, and they are write speed of 16mb/s for 133x sd card, and they said that my card reader may have limitation to prevent it reading/writing with higher speed than ~4mb/s. Very strange claim to me, since USB2.0 should be able to support up to ~400mb/s data transfer, right?
    oh boy - long answer...

but I'll cut to the chase. you have to use an sd-card v1.1 spec (like a sandisk 'esp' branded reader) AND a VERY good usb2.0 chip and driver AND have a well tuned pc to get close to the 133x that they claim.

the MOST you'll get from sd-card 1.0 is 66x. any more than that is a LIE.

I'll leave it at that. but it has nothing to do with usb2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by wutske
    and sometimes, a USB2.0 device is only USB1.1 . It's some kind of marketing trick. You'll only get 480mbps when you have a USB2.0 Hi-speed device...
    google 'full speed' and 'high speed'.

usb had marketing droids that worked directly for satan, it seems

Web Site with tested CF/SD speeds

Bryan et al interested-

This is a site that has perfomed write/read tests of CF/SD memory cards both with in-model digi and card - PC speeds. I replied over on DPR but you don't get cc'd on replies so I thought I repost here. You may wish to review and evaluate the speed tests performed on both in-camera writes and card - PC transfer rates at:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

It doesn't appear that many (if any) of the latest high - XX speed memory card offerings have been tested lately but the site has some good background info on memory cards for digis..

By the by, I seem to also remember a forum poster that had did a hardware/software setup and tested the card-PC speeds. It would have been on either DCRP, DPR, Steves or OLP but I didn't bookmark it. You may want to do a forum-wide search...

--
    Telecorder
    FZee5/FZee30+RD-S+OlyTC1.7XBryan-
    Telecorder [Dave]
    Apple Valley, CA
    FZ30+TCON17+RDS
    D50+Nikkor 35 f/2; 18-70 DX; 70-300 VRii + BIGMA 50-500 EX HSM
    Kenko Pro 1.4X TC
    Sigma EX 1.4X TC
    SB-600
    My Image Galleries