Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Recommended top SD card for Lumix FX01?

I have decided on purchasing the Panasonic Lumix FX01, and am looking for advice on what would be the best, top end memory card to purchase for it. I am considering the SanDsk Extreme III 2GB card, but since I am completely new to the Digital Camera world (aka - first time user outside of my old Sony HI8 video cam) I was hoping to get advice from the more knowledgeable users in this field....

I'd get anywhere from a 512 MB card to 2 GB. currently own Corsair cards (512 60x and 2 GB 133x). i've found that pretty much all brands with decent speed ratings work well nowadays, so it's not necessary here to get a name brand like SanDisk, which currently has a higher price premium. The Extreme III is rated for a wide range of temperature usage, however normal ranges for SD card use are more than enough for me. Looks like the Extreme III corresponds to 133x speed. SanDisk does make the Ultra II SD Plus card which converts to a USB adapter -- this seems intriguing to me. The 1 GB is available at Buy.com for $40 after rebate. They will be releasing a 2 GB version in October. Although not sure how reliable the hinge would be on this card.

I've got this page bookmarked:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...hp/page_id=152
    filter the memory type for "SecureDigital" on the left.

for example, you can get a Patriot 2 GB 133x for ~$40 now. fast 512 MB cards can sometimes be found for as little as $10.
    Last edited by ryanbrancel; 05-20-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Ryanbrancel! I am going to try the link you gave me...

I appreciate the advice, I am going to try the link yuo gave me. It's good to know that there is a wide price spread among similar cards......

The USB capable cards had some problems in some cameras. They don't work in certain cases, do a search here for the correct thread.

I don't think your camera will be able to take advantage of the added speed of the Extreme-III card. The camera just isn't fast enough.

-dave-

Thanks David!

Good point. Though I do wonder if the Extreme card might be a little more durable, (as I see myself testing unknowingly how durable and rugged my poor little camera is)...hmmm...

I always use Newegg.com for memory card buys. They always seem to have the best prices.I got my 60x 1gb Corsair SD for 24 dollars.http://www.newegg.com

this card is still one of the best price/performance:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=82032-8
    Corsair 512 MB 60x for $18.60

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Evans
    Good point. Though I do wonder if the Extreme card might be a little more durable, (as I see myself testing unknowingly how durable and rugged my poor little camera is)...hmmm...
    Memory cards aren't subjected to much stress or demanding environments. There are no moving parts, there's very little to go wrong. Anything that will damage the card will have already messed up your camera.

I've abused my cameras over the years, memory card failure really isn't an issue.

-dave-

No need to be so Extreme...

I use Sandisk Ultra II 1 Gb SD Card for my FX8 - I believe the camera can't fully take advantage of cards that are 150x speed anyway. Minimum 1 Gb Card though if you are going to shoot video !
    Too Many Cams, Too Little Cash

The Corsair 2GB 133x has been great for me.