Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Initial Lens Choice for EOS 30D

Good morning,
    I will likely be purchasing the 30D sometime this week, and am admitedly a novice when it comes to purchasing a lens. I am making a move from a point and shoot digital (Canon Powershot G2) to something that I hope to grow with as a photographer for the next several years. I have decided to just purchase the camera body, and am wondering if folks in this forum have some suggestions on a good all purpose lens to start with. I tend to take more landscape photos than anything else, especially when hiking, but also like to take macro shots and of course the usual family photos.

My budget is probably in the $500 to $700 range for a lens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

What is a landscape lens to you? To me it means allowing to show views, and views often are most appreciated seen wide (like your eyes do).

So... you have to determine how wide you want it to go. Your G2 went 35 to 38mm wide (I am not sure what exactly), and with a 18-55 kitlens you can go 28mm wide (you have to take the 1.6x crop factor of the smaller-than-35mm-film sensor in consideration).

Right now I have a Tokina 12-24mm F4 for "wide", and I love it. It will eat into your quite small budget though, with a price above 400$. Then there is the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, it also is a nice wide zoom, that will eat into your budget even more with a price above 600$.

You could complement those with an EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM (II) lens, to give you more range... This lens is very good and suprisingly cheap, at a bit above 200$.

That will leave macro open still, though. You can either go the cheap route by getting extension tubes for inbetween your camera and the 28-105mm, which will allow it to focus much closer, giving you macro capabilities, or go for a dedicated macro lens. The cheapest yet good to very good macro lens options are:

Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG 1:1 macro
    Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Di 1:1 macro
    Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM 1:1 macro
    Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG 1:1 macro.

A 3rd option would be to get a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG macro lens. It is a tele zoom with a very small price (around 200$?), yet a decent performance, which offers you a 1:2 macro mode. It does give you more tele range, but its macro is of course a compromise.

If you think this all is too expensive, you should realize that the lenses are more important for results than a camera body... Most prefer to skimp on the body rather than skimp on lenses. So... if you can not stretch your budget to get for instance what I suggest above (quite affordable lenses anyway) then maybe it is a good idea to consider an EOS 350D/XT?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

yeah! tha canon ef 28-105 is a nice lens, although for some people it wasnt wide enough, but as a beginner its pretty ok, you can check some of my shots from my site, which is link in my signature and check out the shots i made with 28-105, some are with sigma 70-300 which both lens coldrain mentioned about it... and those pictures are non-processed pics... just certain picture styles while taking it...

or if you really need wide angle, then try out the sigma 18-200mm... its very verstatile and i heard few good insights about this lens from one of the forum members here, search the thread around canon's area and you'll see some sample pics... and they are really great pictures...

well, i have much time, so i just post the link here for you for the sigms 18-200mm thread sample shots with canon rebel xt from one of the forum members

here is it: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19568

check it out, its pretty nice and very cheap lens thats if you cant live with 28mm wide angle total 28mm multiply by 1.6 = 44 or 45 mm length fr fullfram or 35mm cameras...

its around 350 USD or less for the sigma and for the canon its around 230 USD at b&h... so its up to you to decide which one you prefer... i think both lens are great, they produce sharp quality image... i dont know abou the auto-focus of the sigma, but the canon USM is really fascinating... i can say i press the shutter all the way down without waiting for it to make the beep sound and its focuses faster than my finger hehe... which is nice

oh yeah, if you like macro shots, the simga 70-300 DG MACRO APO is a good choice, one of the cheapest but great lens ever made... macro is nice, look at my gallery and check the flower shots there, most of them are taken by sigma, and mine is a non-APO version... sad... but i can live with it for a while

congrats with your 30D!!!! can't believe im still happy to see someone buying new cameras peace out...
    Canon PowerShot G9

ALL GONE! NO SLR
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM II (sold)
    Canon 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG non-APO
    Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC
    Velbon CX-444 tripod
    Canon BG-E2
    Kata W92

http://flickr.com/drew_viii - add me up to your contacts
    Photography is not just a hobby. It's a pleasure and a privilege!

Smile Thanks for advice on initial lens purchase

Just a note to say thanks for the advice on an initial lens for my new EOS 30D. I picked it up yesterday and after careful consideration, opted for the EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II. I chose this because I felt it was the best mix of value and convenience. After I learn how to use the camera, I'll invest in some of the other choices, particularly the EF-S 10-22 for my landscape photos. I was very impressed with the lens when I tried it in the store, but was not so impressed with the price.

I have my old kit lens from an old Canon Rebel SLR, and a 75-300 zoom, also from Canon, so I figure I have some choices to learn with for the time being.

Thanks again for the advice.

Grab the tokina and you can still swing the 50 1.4 prime for portraits. ? ? ?

Edit: Doh! you picked up a lens already. . . bugger! Have fun!
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter