Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon Capture NX Beta

Here is an article on a Beta copy of NX.

Looking forward to actually trying this out. If it's better than NC4 then it's a winner.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonCapture_NX.shtml
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the link, George.

Capture NX looks great, I like the new U Point stuff. Also, it looks like it will be a lot easier to use. The one thing I don't like about Capture 4 is these two toolbars on the right, they always seem to be covering each other. I'm definitly looking forward to using Capture NX (if only I had the money, I still have so much other equipment on my wishlist )
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

One obvious initial (remaining) question is how much for the upgrade?
    Another, based on info in the article, is will the Nikon Camera Capture Control plug-in be a free download, or an additional cost?

Beyond that, this article mostly adds detail to what we already knew. I do particularly like the idea of multiple versions of an NEF file, all taking up one single space. Of course, I don't know why someone didn't think of this before. The raw data doesn't change, so you have the raw data and a sets of extended data for each version of the NEF. Since the vast bulk of the data is the raw data, each version only adds a small amount of disk space. Over time, this will save me money on hard drives, DVDs and other storage media.

In the original release there was a mention of a special price for NC4 owners. Speculation is that the retail price will be $149 (similar to Phase One LE), so I'm hoping that, worst case, it will be $49 and best case, maybe $29. I don't see free in the cards.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Aperture

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund
    One obvious initial (remaining) question is how much for the upgrade?
    Another, based on info in the article, is will the Nikon Camera Capture Control plug-in be a free download, or an additional cost?

Beyond that, this article mostly adds detail to what we already knew. I do particularly like the idea of multiple versions of an NEF file, all taking up one single space. Of course, I don't know why someone didn't think of this before. The raw data doesn't change, so you have the raw data and a sets of extended data for each version of the NEF. Since the vast bulk of the data is the raw data, each version only adds a small amount of disk space. Over time, this will save me money on hard drives, DVDs and other storage media.
    That's exactly the thinking behind Apple's Aperture raw software, the original file always remains, all adjustments are just that - adjustments that only come into play when "called" by the program.