Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: D70s service

D70s service

Hey.. I'm using a d70s now and wondering how many times I can shoot 'till I have to send it for service.. some told me 15, 000.. some told me 150, 000... i'm really cutting on my photos i'm taking everday.. Help me please.. Thanks!

You only need to take it for service when it stops working or if it gets so full of dust and junk that you can't clean it yourself. Cameras are not cars, they don't need to do to the service dept every xx number of clicks for a lube job.

It's widely reported that Nikon consumer DSLRs are built to a MTBF of 50,000 shutter releases. What this means is that your camera may last 35,000 releases or it may last 176,000 releases but over the whole range the average will be 50,000. There is no way of knowing what an individual camera will do.

Oh.. So I can just clean it myself with some eq.. lol thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by -m i n g
    Oh.. So I can just clean it myself with some eq.. lol thanks a lot
    I would suggest you read up a lot on the subject before you do too much cleaning inside the mirror box, especially when it comes to cleaning the sensor, or rather, the filters covering the sensor. While many people are successfully cleaning the sensors in their camera, it's a process you want to understand in detail, and not take lightly. It's very easy to damage the sensor if you don't know what you are doing.

Then, if you manage to do the sensor correctly, but you don't take the proper precautions, the shutter could close on your cleaning tool. This has happened to a guy on another forum, and the fix (a new shutter) was about $400 on a D200.

It can be done safely and successfully, but it's not to be taken lightly.

I read up on it in DCM. Thanks everyone, for the help.. i'll do more studies about my sensors... I wouldn't want to take out $400... poor d200