Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Canon Powershot S3IS

Can the camera zoom in/out during movie mode (while recording) like the Sony DSC-H5 can?

And can you get more out of the video length. Right now, the number I've seen in 9min = 1GB, that's INSANE! Is it true?

The S2 you can, and i agree the .AVI files are huge and crap compression. The S2 uses stereo hifi sound so that maybe why the video files are so large. The thing is these cameras arnt really designed to be a "Video" camera. It doesnt do bad but it could be alot better. I didnt get mine to use it as a video camera. Im sure a canon video camera is WAY more effecient on the file size.

I recorded a 1 minute video file an it was nearly 48 megs in AVI when i reripped it using windows movie maker is compressed it down to about 5 megs.

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64
    The S2 you can, and i agree the .AVI files are huge and crap compression. The S2 uses stereo hifi sound so that maybe why the video files are so large. The thing is these cameras arnt really designed to be a "Video" camera. It doesnt do bad but it could be alot better. I didnt get mine to use it as a video camera. Im sure a canon video camera is WAY more effecient on the file size.

I recorded a 1 minute video file an it was nearly 48 megs in AVI when i reripped it using windows movie maker is compressed it down to about 5 megs.

Well, I'm asking about the S3....

And what do you mean you "reripped it" ? That doesnt make sense. I'd like the files to be as small as possible once on my PC, but for the moment I dont have that software and I've never heard the phrase "reripped" Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheNetwerk2020
    Well, I'm asking about the S3....

And what do you mean you "reripped it" ? That doesnt make sense. I'd like the files to be as small as possible once on my PC, but for the moment I dont have that software and I've never heard the phrase "reripped" Thanks
    You won't get many responses if you reply to posts that try to assist in this fashion!!!

Yes the S3 can zoom as does the S2. If you read the information provided on these sites, you would have found that!!

Yes it's true you can only get approx 9 minutes on a 1GB card... if you ewant anymore, buy yourself a video camera!

As Bower64 pointed out he "reripped" the movie once transferred to his PC which reduced the size from 48 to 5mb. That small enough for you??
    I'm assuming by reripped he means he changed the format using his PC software....

I would suggest you do some more research too as you seem to have done it on the Sony.
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    You won't get many responses if you reply to posts that try to assist in this fashion!!!

Yes the S3 can zoom as does the S2. If you read the information provided on these sites, you would have found that!!

Yes it's true you can only get approx 9 minutes on a 1GB card... if you ewant anymore, buy yourself a video camera!

As Bower64 pointed out he "reripped" the movie once transferred to his PC which reduced the size from 48 to 5mb. That small enough for you??
    I'm assuming by reripped he means he changed the format using his PC software....

I would suggest you do some more research too as you seem to have done it on the Sony.
    I asked about a specific camera and got an answer about a camera I did NOT ask about. I've seen NOWHERE on these sites that provided the info i was looking for. And changing format is not "reripping." It's changing format.

it's seems you replied for no other reason than to be rude and unhelpful. Get a life. I've done as much if not more research on the S3 as I have the Sony, but could not find answers to questions, so I asked, Exxxxxxxxxxcuse meeee.

bobkeenan Guest

Relax

Everyone Take a Big deep Breath..... and relax.

I agree with the original poster.

There is not much S3 info on this site WRT his question. DPReview is a more active forum. I am just lurking around for more info. Even if there was more info at this site I think its ok to ask questions that others think are lame. Forums are all about helping people. Not yelling at their lack of research. And His response to the first answer was appropriate. He asked about the S3 not the S2. And ripping is one of the more over used terms these days. You might as well have said I did "what-not" to the file and brought the size down.

Back to the question of time of video. I have the S3 and a 4gb card. You are limited to 1 GB which means 9 min at the high quality. But the lower quality provides much longer times. With a 4gb card I can run 36 minutes but with a pause between each 1gb section. I am a mac user and , using quicktime pro or other software, I can take any video of any size and make it any smaller size but at a cost of some quality. I have not tried to compress the S3 video yet to see what I get with different codecs at different settings.

I have a SLR, a small compact, and a movie camera. But I hate hauling all of that crap around. The S3 does all of those things but maybe only 80% as well. But its only one thing and not a bunch of things. So I like it.

I asked about a specific camera and got an answer about a camera I did NOT ask about. I've seen NOWHERE on these sites that provided the info i was looking for. And changing format is not "reripping." It's changing format.

it's seems you replied for no other reason than to be rude and unhelpful. Get a life. I've done as much if not more research on the S3 as I have the Sony, but could not find answers to questions, so I asked, Exxxxxxxxxxcuse meeee.
    I have just seen bobkeenan's post and I agree.I am not trying to be rude or unhelpful and the replies posted are trying to help.In Movie Mode the S2 and S3 are pretty much the same.the advice given by Bower64 is therefore accurate.I certainly understood what he meant by re-ripping even if the term is not strictly correct.Yes the files will be big but you can save and compress them if you want.If you want smaller movie files you need to look at a camera that uses MPEG-4.I believe the Sony you refer to is not yet on sale yet.It will presumably use MPEG which will gve smaller files but the quality will not be quite as good as the s2/s3.There is a lot of information out there about this if you look for it.I have an S2 and as a compromise between a digicam/videocam it does the job for me.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6

I'm sorry if you took me to be rude, I was merely pointing out that the previous poster was trying to respond in as positive way as possible!! I just felt your opening comment was unnecessary to someone who thought they were trying to help.

After all, most of us are amateurs and try to help each other, and we occasionally get it wrong, or give diverse answers....

Please be assured that I have nt replied in this manner to cause offence. You will see from my numerous posts, I try to be nothing but helpful, and on this occasion I was trying to clarify the previous answer for you.
    I too have not heard of reripping, but again was trying to give you my best interpretation of his answewr.

Apologies again if you feel unjustly treated.

regards
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE

Just read Bobs response, and read it again, then read my post.

OK, maybe mine appeared a little harsh after reading it twice. For that I have apologised (above), but like JPW states, we are trying to be helpful, but we aren't all perfect.

Lets forget the above and get on with the matter inhand.

I'm sure there are others out there with the S3 now as it's been out a few weeks, so there should be more threads coming up that we can al share our experience in.

Good Luck
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bobkeenan
    Everyone Take a Big deep Breath..... and relax.

I agree with the original poster.

There is not much S3 info on this site WRT his question. DPReview is a more active forum. I am just lurking around for more info. Even if there was more info at this site I think its ok to ask questions that others think are lame. Forums are all about helping people. Not yelling at their lack of research. And His response to the first answer was appropriate. He asked about the S3 not the S2. And ripping is one of the more over used terms these days. You might as well have said I did "what-not" to the file and brought the size down.

Back to the question of time of video. I have the S3 and a 4gb card. You are limited to 1 GB which means 9 min at the high quality. But the lower quality provides much longer times. With a 4gb card I can run 36 minutes but with a pause between each 1gb section. I am a mac user and , using quicktime pro or other software, I can take any video of any size and make it any smaller size but at a cost of some quality. I have not tried to compress the S3 video yet to see what I get with different codecs at different settings.

I have a SLR, a small compact, and a movie camera. But I hate hauling all of that crap around. The S3 does all of those things but maybe only 80% as well. But its only one thing and not a bunch of things. So I like it.

Thank you thank you thank you. I've looked at DPreview a few times and have not had much luck there either. And there wasnt a lack of research. People do grossly overuse/misuse the word, so it's hard to understand people, totally.

So eventhough there'd be a 4gig card, only 1gig could be of video? That seems really weird to me. You say "at the lower quality" ..how is it lower? Are the dimensions smaller? Sound "worse" ? Can you expand on the differences you are able to notice?

I've never compressed video before, so I'll probably have to brush up on whats free/useful. I'm not looking at it for primarily video (as some users seem to think), but that will be a partial role and I want to make sure it can do it decently I havent been able to find any video clips comparing the S3's various levels and such, it'd be nice if Canon was more complete in their product description.. hell that goes for every camera manufacturer!