Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

HELP PLEASE MEMMORY CARD ERROR Canon Powershot A85

ok I have a cannon powershot A85 and i took the memory card out just for no reason and when i put it back it keeps saying memory card error it won't allow me to take pictures or do anything it just keeps saying memory card error I tried just blowing in it but says same thing is there anyway i could like reset the camera because the pictures i have on it i dont need i just want it fixed before i go back to school monday it will be my last 5 days of high school i am about to graduate can someone please please please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its done. This memory style is famous for bent pins inside the camera. The symptom of this is exactly what your describing. One of the big mistakes people make is removing the memory card. The pins in the cameras that use CF memory is SUPER fragile and you can push it in and bend or pop a pin out and not even feel there is a problem.

Ive heard of this hapening with canon rebels and other high end cameras, be thankful yours is just a P&S model. One of the main reasons they have changed from CF memory to SD is because of the design.

Here is what you can do, first take the memory back out, and look into the door where the memory goes. Peek down inside holding it up to a well lit light. Sunlight may work good. Check and see if there is any pins that look out of uniform. There should be 2 even rows of pins. If there is any spots that look out of normal all the way on both sides. Ive heard of people using mechanical pencils and slipping the pencil tip over the pins and bending them back into position. If they are to far bent then it needs a part replaced.

Good luck, i say you barrow anotother camera.

they look to all be there so there is nothing else to do ?

They try a new memory card. Try a new one from walmart, if it still doesnt work you can return it. They take back anything no questions asked.

What, if anything, did you do with the card when it was out of the camera? Did you use it in any other device that would have changed the format of the data on the card?

I wouldn't be so quick to suspect bent pins.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    What, if anything, did you do with the card when it was out of the camera? Did you use it in any other device that would have changed the format of the data on the card?

I wouldn't be so quick to suspect bent pins.

-dave-
    Yeah it never happens.

The #1 cause of memory errors is bent pins. Ive repaired a camera that had this problem and at first i couldnt tell. It wasnt till i took the camera apart and look at the pin socket from the side i could see it.

CF memory is a bad design period.

They dont have to be bent though, it cam push them back and then they dont slide up into the card. They usualy bend but they can also be pushed back inside the socket.

They only way to know forsure is to try your memory in a different camera, and then try new memory in yours.
    Last edited by BowerR64; 05-15-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Canon A85 CF Memory Card Error Fix

Hi guys,

I've experienced this problem with my beloved old camera and after a while realised, the problem CAN BE EASILY FIXED!

The problem is in a printed circuit-connector, which slipped out from its counterpart due to vibration, impacts or temperature changes.

All you need is a cross-shaped screwdriver and approx 30 minutes of time. The procedure is as follows:

(1)Remove the back lid. This involves removing the battery and the shutter cover, then by opening the rear cover from the bottom up (there are clicks on the top, be careful).
    (2)Then you need to remove the front plastic cover. There are just ~3 or 4 screws. It goes easily out by popping out the battery side first, the flash-side follows easily.
    (3)Consequently, remove the mode-chooser on the top of the camera (2 screws).

Now you can see the large printed circuit-film from the back. It is attached to the camera's body using little pins and holes, so you can carefuly unclick it from its position. I recommend starting from the bottom (where the two LED's (printer & disp) are) and proceed to the top. Very close to the shutter you realise the film is plugged into a connector – this is the source of the problem!. Don't be affraid to remove the film from the camera completely.

[At this moment, you can see one more very close to the metal sheet (the CF card casing). This ine seemed to be quite solid, so better not to touch it. You may try to push it a little bit in, but bettern don't try to disconnect this one.]

Then, straighten the connector side of the film and slide it carefully back into the connector. Be sure you don't break it, but also doublecheck it is in the correct hole! Followingly, place the entire circuit back onto the camera body onto the correct pins.

After mounting back the mode selector, front and back lid, you realise, your good old camera „magically“ WORKS AGAIN! Problem solved.

Hope this helps to many! Please share as much as required!

Ibisek, CZ