Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S2 Best Settings for Indoor Photos Please

Hi Friends,
    I recently bought a canon S2 IS and took some 200 photographs at my daughter's birthday party. This was celebrated indoors at night. A week ago I took some sample photographs in similar lighting conditions to know which setting would best suit. After observing lost of photos, I finally decided to use the scene mode 'Indoor' with exposure compensation +1/3 and also used flash. With out flash the photos were very noisy (grainy whichever is correct). When I compared the actual birthday photographs with that of the ones that were taken with a freind's sony W7, I was disappointed to see my S2's are noisy (grainy) though the flash of S2 seems to be stronger than W7. When viewed on a computer screen at actual size, this difference is even more visible. I can't believe a point & shoot compact camera that costs some 100 dollars less could take better photos than the one that is judged as one os the best cameras in 2005. Do you think its because W7 has big sensor and 7.2 MP?
    Could any one of you (S2 owners), please let me know the best settings for indoor photos? I don't mind if its with or with out flash as long as the images look nice and with no noise. But I must admit that its not practical for me to use a tripod with my toddler.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time.

Rocky

I just fired mine up and it wants to shoot at 1/60 F2.7 with the flash. Thats at 100 ISO. The more light you have the better. The bigger sensor on the sony will help because it wont need as much light so it can use a faster shutter speed. If its too dark it may need a slower shutter and this can cause blur and noise.

If you do alot of indoor under low light, you might want to pickup an external flash. The shots will look alot better with one. You can hold it down low or sit it near your subject and when your cameras flash fires the external will add more lighting and you can speed up the shutter. It will help ALOT

The canon flash is cool, but i would want one with a movable head. Pointing the flash at the ceiling really can light up a room well.

Hi BowerR64,
    Thanks a lot for your quick response. I had gone through many posts on this forum before deciding to buy S2 and I can say that you are one of the most active members. Your active participation in addressing the issues of other members is very much appreciated.

Coming back to the issue, I don't do lots of indoor photography, but I definitely want to capture some of the beautiful moments of my toddler indoors. When ever I see something nice, I just want to grab the camera and capture it. External flash would work, but only when you are pre-plan for the event. Something like a birthday etc. For all other spontanious situations, could you please suggest an optimum Indoor setting. I am prepared to use manual settings (such as altering shutter speed, aperture, ISO & custom white balance), instead of the standard scene modes on the camera.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Rocky

I did give a sugestion but that was one that is a bit on the slow side. I always have the vivid on when im in manual mode just because i feel it gives more pop to the color. Indoor you will probobly find 100 ISO gives the best lighting then it will depend on the lighting available how fast the shutter speed. If your not zoomed in go with the largest appature you can use (F 2.7) the lower the number the more light it lets in.

The thing about an external flash is they are very easy to use. Here is what you can do. Say its a birthday party and everyone is in the family room watching your kids unwrap gifts. You think you may get some good shots. Get the camera and an external flash and just sit it on the table or in the corner leave it on but just dont worry about it. It triggers when the onboard camera triggers. so no matter where it is it will fire and add to the flash. Thats the cool thing about them. They also have them built in these little light bulbs you can screw into a lamp. They dont fire till the camera flash fires and no one but you knows they are there.

Try 100 ISO, vivid in the effects, F2.7 and like 1/60th - 1/80th. If your anywhere near a window try and have the window light behind you or on the left or right. Try several things the more things you try the higher your chances are to get more good ones.

When i sugest more lighting what it does is helps the camera to use a faster shutter. The faster the shutter the better your pictures will be because you will lower the chance of motion blur. More lighting also gives more depth. One of the reasons P&S cameras have poor DOF is because the flash is so close to the lens. The further away it is the better the DOF.

Do you have cable tv? in my area they have an "On demand" channel called DIY and they have 4 photography classes on there and one of them deals with indoor lighting. Its REALLY good! ive watched em all like 5 times, its free and part of basic cable so why not?

thanks

Hi BowerR64,
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They should form a good base for me to start with.

Rocky

Question

What's a good external flash to use? Are we talking about the Canon HF-DC1 High Power Flash here?

Quote Originally Posted by Legion
    What's a good external flash to use? Are we talking about the Canon HF-DC1 High Power Flash here?
    Any slave flash, the canon DC1 is ok because you can mount it to a little tripod and sit it anywhere. I would prefer one with a rotating head. Bounceing the flash off the floor or the ceiling can really help for the shot.

You could always shoot one handed and then direction the flash with the other hand.

I use the Phoenix D92-BZS with my S2 and it works fairly well...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=311150

But the creme 'de la creme of slave flashes is the Digislave Deluxe 3000...

http://www.srelectronics.com/
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Whats the difference between the phenox and the digi slave? they look like the same thing. They both have the tilting head that moves in and out and the defuzer looks the same also.

How do you know what is a slave and what needs a hotshoe? if you search e-bay for canon speedlite there are PAGES of units but i cant tell wich will fire as a slave and wich wont. Do they only need an infra red panel? they work off infra red right?

Ive read you can cover the onboard flash with an old negative from a film camera and the flash then converts to infra red and it will fire the slave that way without using the onboard flash.

I normaly use lamps indoor or a tripod but i think its time for me to learn more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    I use the Phoenix D92-BZS with my S2 and it works fairly well...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=311150

But the creme 'de la creme of slave flashes is the Digislave Deluxe 3000...

http://www.srelectronics.com/
    Can you post some shots with and without the slave? so we have an idea how it helps.