Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Filters for S2, wadda they do?

polarizing , circular, ND, UV.

Anyone have a link to a "filters with Digital Camera's 101"

All this talk about everyone getting adpaters and filters, leads Me to believe that I am missing something, kinda makes Me want to do the "Virtual Urinal Peek" to see what everyone else has got

All kidding aside, I am starting to do alot of outdoor with My S2, sports and High power Rocketry, so I am taxing out the poor S2, I was wondering what "filters could do for Me".

Thanks,
    Nick

Man the polarizer is somthing that has to be seen to be believed. Im not sure how it works but its really cool. Some how it cuts out reflections ands its amazing. The CLP i cant tell any difference from the regular linier one.

The UV i dont seem to see any difference, the FDL reminds me of a set of blue blocker sunglasses. You get this weird since of pop from colors and everything seems to be glowing or somthing. More then anything else it just protects the stock lens from damage.

Filters

You can take a look at some filter and lens examples at

www.photosig.com (sort the filter or lens you wanna check)

or you can get better explanation about each filters at

www.camerafilters.com

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasA
    polarizing , circular, ND, UV.

Anyone have a link to a "filters with Digital Camera's 101"
    Here's exactly what you're looking for...

http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Really helpful page there, JTL. Does anyone have any experiences of using a skylight filter with the S2? It would be really great to see some with/without filter comparison shots if possible.

Thumbs down

As a follow-up to my last post, the answer is that skylight filters do absolutely nothing for your S2. I bought a decent quality Hoya Skylight filter and took a few shots, and there was no difference whatsoever. I'd post comparison shots, but there would be no point as they are almost exactly identical. In fact the only discernible difference was, predictably, the huge extra amount of flare in a test shot facing the sun.

So I guess I'll only be using this filter the next time I find myself shooting in the middle of a sandstorm. Oh well at least it was pretty cheap. I'm looking forward to getting my polariser so that the Lensmate tube I got won't be a complete waste.

Just put the lensmate tube on it and the skylight filter and pretend its all part of the camera. Dont ever take it off, when you want the polarizer just attach it to whats already there. Thats what i would do, clean it as you need remembering that your just wiping the filter clean. The stock S2 glass will stay perfect and protected.

I have a UV filter, i dont see it doing anything either but it doesnt block any light so i just leave it on.

I basically use the UV filter as a protector for the camera lense

I use a polarizer filter if I'm shooting outdoors. I have no experience with other types