Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Taking photos of old slides (S2 / A620)

I have a whole load of old slides that we want to get into the computer. I'm thinking that the simplest way would be to take macro photos of them, so I tested one with my S2. I also have an A620 I can try with, or the nikon D100.

I've encountered a problem which I think will occur whichever camera I use (no, not the barrel distortion ). How can I do this without getting a reflection of the camera lens ?

Cheers
    Gary

I don't know, but if you want good quality digital images from your slides, I would suggest getting a scanner that can scan film and slides. I have one that only ran about $100 dollars and I have scanned many 35mm negatives and they look good.
    Canon S2 IS, Canon A510

How big are the images from the scanner ?

Cheers
    Gary

I copy slides with my Nikon 995 with a slide copy attachment that screws to the front of the lens. You just use a uniform light source to point the camera at, I find a window on a bright day or Ott-lit to work best but have used standard florescent and tungsten in a pinch. Works well and I can copy much faster than a slide scanner. I also use a slide scanner if I only have a few to do or need the last little bit of quality. With my setup I can copy 100-200 slides an hour. Some post processing is usually needed to crop and make minor corrections.

I plan to set my S2 up to do the same thing. I have bought the Lensmate 52mm adapter and DCR-250 so I don't have to run in wide angle mode to get the macro but I need to find or make a tube to mount my slide copy attachment to get it about 2" further from the lens for proper size and focus.

Jim...

I tried putting some slides through a scanner tonight, the frames scanned perfectly but the actual transparencies would have been at least a millimeter above the plate behind another layer of glass (they're old slides) and came out largely black.

Any suggestions from those who have done this successfully with scanners ?

Thanks
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman
    ..the actual transparencies would have been at least a millimeter above the plate behind another layer of glass (they're old slides) and came out largely black...
    This may be a bit obvious but does your scanner have a transparency adaptor?Your description suggests not.If so you need a scanner that does which can be picked up cheaply as many inexpensive scanners now come with one as standard.I managed to borrow one just to copy some old family slides and it produced perfectly acceptable results

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6

I think you need a slide adapter. You need to turn the flash off and use light behind the slide. What you could do is get a few sheets of white paper, like printer paper and staple them together, this may take some trial and error. Tape the few sheets to a window with the bright light behind it. Then hold the slides next to the paper. Use some cardboard and cut out a little makeshift box. Use a tube of toilet paper as the barrel. Affix the makeshift unit to the camer. The problem you will have is the distance of the macro. The S2 has 2 macro modes. Super macro and regular macro. regular macro has a limit of 0-50cm (3.9"-1.6') super macro is 0-10cm (0-3.9") so depending on how big you make your little cardboard adapter you may need to use one or the other modes.

This would be the cheap way to do it and you may have fun. You could use the blank white pages to set the white balance. You could take the images a little to wide then crop them to fit.

Search e-bay for some ideas to build it if you want to go that route. If not you may have to buy somthing. It sounds like fun