Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Raw Processing

Raw Processing

I took a whole load of shots of my son at a Football Cup Final. By mistake I shot everything in Raw format. How do I retrieve these images to view and print bearing in mind that i don't have Nikon Capture or any other such tool, I only have Paint Shop pro which I suspect will not handle this format?
    Last edited by EdBoy; 04-27-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Sony IP55E (Digital VCR)
    Canon T90:
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8, Canon FD 35-70mm f/3.5, Canon FD 100-300mm f/4
    Canon Speedlite 300TL
    Slik Black Diamond tripod
    Manfrotto Monopod 682B
    Tamrac Pro8 kit bag

You can download the free trial version of raw shooter and convert those images to jpegs. Photoshop can also do the same thing.

Will Nikon's manufacturers software, Nikon Project 1.4 (I think it's called) do the job?

It has a trial version of Nikon Capture 4.2 included with it, maybe this will work ?
    Sony IP55E (Digital VCR)
    Canon T90:
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8, Canon FD 35-70mm f/3.5, Canon FD 100-300mm f/4
    Canon Speedlite 300TL
    Slik Black Diamond tripod
    Manfrotto Monopod 682B
    Tamrac Pro8 kit bag

Quote Originally Posted by EdBoy
    I tool a whole load of shots of my son at a Football Cup Final. By mistake I shot everything in Raw format. How do I retrieve these images to view and print bearing in mind that i don't have Nikon Capture or any other such tool, I only have Paint Shop pro which I suspect will not handle this format?

OK no panic. As arigato explaned you can download RAW shooter Essential which is a great free software for RAW processing (if you own a PC)
    you can also download the free version of Silkypix, another great software. (if you own a PC or a Powermacintosh only)
    and you install the free editor The Gimp on your computer and install his RAW processing plug-in UFRaw. (whatever PC or Mac).

first head out and get windows RAW viewer - free download from microsoft.

Ok then check to see if Paint shop pro has any new updates that allow RAW editing if not then I guess you could D/L RSE, but I didn't care for it and others state its not as good as RSP. . . . good luck
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

http://www.pixmantec.com/

Raw shooter estentials, free.

Great peice of software, corrects CA the best of any I've seen yet in raws.

You can play with optins to convert them click batch on right and click add from active picture you've selected. Can play with white balance and exposure in it, not as automatic as ACR but I think in some ways better.

Tim