Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

quick recommendations

I just received my S2IS. I am heading to London in a couple of weeks. I am looking for some advice on the best settings to use, for typical landmark shots. How fine a quality should I shoot in? Want to be able to print some quality shots, and not just post on line. Do I use straight auto as a newbie to the camera or should I use pre set modes like landscape, portrait etc.? It seems like the camera has a bit more on it than I as a relative newcomer to better cameras know how to use. I wanted something with a good zoom, which is why I picked it, but now I am a little worried it may be too much camera for me.

The auto mode is fine, i usualy start with auto and pay attention to the settings it choses. I pay attention to the Fstop, and the shutter speed. Then i usualy go into manual and pic the same settings but add vivad maybe ill change the shutter speed a little if i want a little more exsposure or somthing.

Auto is fine and seems to work ok for most of the stuff. IMO the manual modes or the presets are just for creativity. If you are shooting for memorys or to share i think auto is good because you know the camera is ready and you wont have to mess around with it. It sucks when somthing happens you wnat a picture of but you have to adjust it you can never seem to get it set fast enough.

thanks for the reply. Where do you find the information as to the setting the camera used to take a particular shot in the auto mode? One extra dumb question, after really using the camera quite a bit this weekend, I can't figure out how to see the number of pictures remaining on the card? Plenty of other info on the display, but can't locate that one bit of info..duh.

When you push the button halfway it will focus and adjust the image. Then it will give you the settings it chose when it beeps. You may have to push the disp button for it to show some extra info.

Since you just got it i would use auto for now. Give yourself some more time to learn it before you play with the settings. Just test yourself though using auto mode. Make a guess on shutter speed and Fstop, then hit the shutter halfway and see how close you are.

try some shots with the flash up and down.

thanks for the input. You are right that I should probably stick to the auto functions at this point. It is just so tempting with all the other settings to play with. I have been trying different settings just to get a feel for things. Was in Chicago over the weekend and got a couple of decent shots from a moving car on the lakefront and of Soldier Field using the TV setting. Since I don't know when I am heading back to England, I will probably just concentrate on the auto settings. Thanks again.

Shoot at highest resolution, fine or superfine quality. You should buy at least one large memory card, 1 Gig is very cheap these days.

-dave-

David, thanks for the input. I actually have picked up two 1GB SD cards. I may pick up another 512 just as a back up.