Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Angry CF card help with Canon Rebel XT

I am so upset. Today I went to the campground where my niece and her family are spending the weekend. I took lots of pictures. Special pictures, her friend's 3yr. old son caught his first fish. He was so proud. Here's the problem......
    I turned on the camera like usual to take another picture and there was error message. It says Err CF So I looked in the book, it said try to get the pictures using something else, so I tried putting it in my photosmart printer. It says "0 photos found on the card." I tried for the heck of it to start dowloading from the camera, it says "there is no card in the camera."
    I could just cry, I can't believe this.
    Please somebody help me, those pictures have to be there. What could have happened?

Well, it sounds like the card's filesystem has been corrupted. You can get the photos back by using a program on your computer designed to rescue files from for instance a card like this. It will search the card without looking at the damaged index part that usually tells where the files are stored.

There are a lot of programs for this task. Some are free (I know I have seen a free one for windows), most require you to buy it for about 30 to 90 dollars or so. Then you also need a card reader for the computer (around 15$).

Try to google for forinstance "compact flash rescue".
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thankyou. I downloaded a program, PC Inspector File Recovery and was able to recover my pictures. I just used the printer as the card reader and it worked. It took over an hour to recover them, but at least i have them all. The CF card is still not working, I know I can try to format it, but I just don't trust it so I will buy a new one tomorrow.

Not sure what brand you have now, but SanDisk are quite good with new recently lowered pricing, and I also have some nice Kingstons that have proven reliable as well. If you don't already, using a card reader instead of the camera connected directly then reformatting your card in-camera after transferring all your files is a good habit to get into. These two practices will help minimize the risks of getting card errors.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula63
    The CF card is still not working, I know I can try to format it, but I just don't trust it so I will buy a new one tomorrow.
    There's unlikely to be anything wrong with the card. I'd definately do a reformat and use if for a while to see if it reoccurs. You can just take a few dozen throwaway photos to test things out.

-dave-

I was scared to use the card again. I had a Lexar, but I bought the SanDisk Ultra II today.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula63
    I was scared to use the card again. I had a Lexar, but I bought the SanDisk Ultra II today.

Lexars are known to be problematic in Canon cameras. Going with the SanDisk was a good move.
    Ouch.

There are certainly brands that are more prone to errors with certain cameras than others. I started in my Canon G2 with Dane Elec cards and got several similar errors with them, I quickly learned to use recovery software and was pretty much everytime able to recover the photos. The biggest problem is that when you get such an error, you should always recover the photos before shooting new photos because you might overwrite the data of the photos you mean to recover (you might, but you may not, depending on how much data they take up and what position the new write begins. That's a gamble)
    So if you're out shooting and the card errors, you cannot use the card until you get a chance to recover the photos (unless you want to risk overwriting them in order to get better shots).

Anyway, after a bunch of errors I got a PQI card and that has worked flawlessly (the green hi-speed kind). I stopped using the Dane Elecs and got an additional Sandisk Ultra II card which also hasn't given any errors.

My father also had problems with Dane Elecs in his Canon S60. He's switched to PQI and Sandisk Ultra II as well.

For my 30D I went for Sandisk Extreme III (only usefull if you shoot in burst mode in RAw from what I understand, which I will do on occasion) and have had no in-camera problems but a few with transfers to the computer, but these might have been user errors. Time will tell.
    Karin van den Berg
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM II (Ordered)
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
    Canon Powershot G2 / Canon Powershot A520