Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Samsung dSLRs = Pentax dSLRs

Since Samsung dSLRs are rebadged Pentax this forum could be joined with Pentax.
    Pentax *Ist DS + growing number of equipment
    Canon PowerShot A510
    Earth/Europe/Slovenia

- Gallery -

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatH
    Since Samsung dSLRs are rebadged Pentax this forum could be joined with Pentax.
    Today they might be but tomorrow Samsung will probably develop its own variant. I can see the usual suspects (Cosina, Ricoh, Samsung, Zenith etc all producing their own dSLRs in K-mount).

I read that they will target different markets. Samsung will target the USA and korea, Pentax japan, rest of asia, europe.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    I read that they will target different markets. Samsung will target the USA and korea, Pentax japan, rest of asia, europe.
    It's a global market though. Acer is based in Asia yet sell worldwide. Pentax is based all over the place and sells worldwide. The same for the other companies.

In the samsung press releases and subsequent interviews I have read, I got the impression that they are simply rebadging at the moment. But in time they are jointly developing new cameras (being I think the SR models later this year). And further down the track Samsung and Pentax will have their own distinct models..

Though even now the GX-1S and GX-1L do have different PC software and quite different looking firmware so it is probably relevant to have a seperate forum, which will become more relevant as time goes by.. we hope..
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Talking the same but diffferent

the interesting thing will be how they will manage the image processing in camera, they may use pentax stuff, but the image processing programming will be Samsung own algorithms, it would be interesting to see how they fare against pentax, and how they will compete with cameras that sports the same sony's manufactured 6.1 mpxl sensor (defunct Konica Minolta now Sony and Nikon)

cheers!