Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Withdrawal sucks...

...and I'm already going through it. I just got back from 7 hours on the road taking pretty much my entire equipment list to Canon Factory Service in New Jersey. They have both bodies, the 70-200 f/2.8L, the 24-70 f/2.8L, and the 50mm f/1.4.

Focus problems galore on anything from a relative distance. I stood about 20 feet from my light blue shed, aimed center focus point on a black hinge, and nothing in the frame was focused. Tried the same thing with my van. About 30 feet away, van filling the frame with the 50mm f/1.4 mounted. Broad daylight just as the shed shot (taken within seconds of each other). Again, van out of focus and nothing in the frame either. No evidence of front or back focus. Just no focus. False confirmation via the beep and light up focus point.

I've been having problems for awhile but was reluctant to send everything in. Finally got fed up and drove it there today.

I just want my stuff to work like it should. 10% successful focus in broad daylight just doesn't cut it.

Anywho just wanted to vent. Thanks.
    Ouch.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    ...and I'm already going through it. I just got back from 7 hours on the road taking pretty much my entire equipment list to Canon Factory Service in New Jersey. They have both bodies, the 70-200 f/2.8L, the 24-70 f/2.8L, and the 50mm f/1.4.

Focus problems galore on anything from a relative distance. I stood about 20 feet from my light blue shed, aimed center focus point on a black hinge, and nothing in the frame was focused. Tried the same thing with my van. About 30 feet away, van filling the frame with the 50mm f/1.4 mounted. Broad daylight just as the shed shot (taken within seconds of each other). Again, van out of focus and nothing in the frame either. No evidence of front or back focus. Just no focus. False confirmation via the beep and light up focus point.

I've been having problems for awhile but was reluctant to send everything in. Finally got fed up and drove it there today.

I just want my stuff to work like it should. 10% successful focus in broad daylight just doesn't cut it.

Anywho just wanted to vent. Thanks.
    I'm not overly impressed with 80-90 percent accuracy with focus - which is what I seem to get with most autofocus cameras.

If in a year's time I'm still not overly impressed with my Canon experiment then I'll most likely sell it off and buy a Nikon D200 or its sucessor to use with my existing AIS manual focus lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I'm not overly impressed with 80-90 percent accuracy with focus - which is what I seem to get with most autofocus cameras.

If in a year's time I'm still not overly impressed with my Canon experiment then I'll most likely sell it off and buy a Nikon D200 or its sucessor to use with my existing AIS manual focus lenses.
    I was getting 80-90 percent failure of focus. 80-90 percent success would kick ass on an entry level dSLR.
    Ouch.

Question Just out of curiosity...

How many shots did you have on your rig before focal failure?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You'd be better off with a EOS 5D. It focusses great, has full frame and hence a viewfinder you will appreciate, and you can still use your AIF lenses on it, in the focal lengths you are used to!

Not to mention its superior image quality.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap
    How many shots did you have on your rig before focal failure?
    It's not really total failure. It's hit or miss, but more miss than hit. I don't know if it just started or if it's always been a problem but never "discovered" it until buying the shorter/wider/faster glass. I didn't notice the problem when I only had the kit lens and Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm). Problem really is they're both slow lenses, and with Bigma I could always fill the frame with my subject, so there's no real room to screw up. I also couldn't rule out user error when I only had those 2 lenses either because I was still a relatively new shooter. Still am but I've seen problem time and time again and now I know it's not me causing it.

As far as the shots go, I have about 5,000 or so on the silver body purchased last June, and maybe 1500 at most on the black body purchased I think in September. The silver one has already had the mirror/shutter assembly replaced by Canon because it failed completely back in August. No idea what caused that but it could be that it was never put together correctly from the rebuild.

So many variables it's impossible to pinpoint how/why/where the problem started to occur.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 04-04-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Ouch.

Talk about a shocker. I had no idea you were having focus issues.

All those shots of kyle and never a peep out of you? Anyway, I hope things are returned promptly and are repaired to your satisfaction!

I Agree with Don. I think the user has perfected the use of the XT if he/she can get about 75-80% in focus shots. I know there are times when I know I did everything I could have - the XT just did not focus accurately. If I start to to notice it doing it consistantly, the lure of Nikon could take hold. . LOL just kidding - the 30D will be calling my name! haha!
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Don, Curious if you may have tried cleaning the lens to body contacts, alcohol dampened swab or something.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    You'd be better off with a EOS 5D. It focusses great, has full frame and hence a viewfinder you will appreciate, and you can still use your AIF lenses on it, in the focal lengths you are used to!

Not to mention its superior image quality.
    Actually, the 5D wouldn't do. It's not got an interchangable focussing screen. I've heard of the Haoda and Katz Eye screens but they just seem a bit dicky to me. I wouldn't trust something that the camera's not explicitly designed to accept.

Actually, the 5D wouldn't do. It's not got an interchangable focussing screen. I've heard of the Haoda and Katz Eye screens but they just seem a bit dicky to me. I wouldn't trust something that the camera's not explicitly designed to accept.
    You always go on about wanting full frame. Well, the Nikon D200 is not full frame. Never will be. You go on about focussing. The 5D is faster and more accurate. You want the ability to use your anchient manual single focal length lenses, you say. The 5D delivers there with an adapter ring, and you will not have to bother with focal length conversion. So the 5D delivers there too.

Exchangable focus screens you say? Where do you get that it does not support that? It is supported, designed for it, and canon offers 3 different screens for it. So, check there too.

And with its superior dynamic range and colour, it should be the perfect Rhys camera (bar the AA battery in doy without battery grip only Pentax offers).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30