Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Date stamp on actual photo?

After many looong days (and nights) of research, I'm still perplexed as to if I should get the new S600, or Z750, only to recently discover the new Z850, and this after first beginning my search with the S500, as if I wasn't already confused enough.

I know about the great battery life, and weak flash, low LCD lighting etc., but I'm really interested in one that provides the date stamp on the actual photo, not just one that reflects it when looking at photos on your computer. What good is that, anyway, when looking through an actual photo album, and trying to recall what Summer it was when you took that picture, or was it Fall, well, now, that is where the date would be quite helpful.

Also, which of these provides the best picture resolution, and movie quality, as I will be using it mainly for my newborn and want to catch all those amazing "firsts" pictures and shake- free movie clips, in an instant. That is where the shutter time lag and anti- shake features comes in, but which is the best of these, I am not sure. In reading a prior posting, if the electronic stabilizer feature does not work during movie mode in the S600, then what good is the new and improved anti- shake feature that claims to now be usable in when using the S600 during movie mode??

Lastly, does anyone have any problems with red eye in using any of these? And what's with the lense, is it really that sensitive, as I've heard this all too often? Hopefully it is with regards to a particular model and not all of the casio cameras. I'm leaving my HP 2.5 MP behind and moving onto a more updated model, one that has a much improved resolution, and battery life. And, talk about horrible shutter time! I don't know why it is that people hate waiting with cemented smiles, while your camera decides to take it's time loading itself for the next photo. I dont think my little one will be nearly as patient.

Please help, baby's on the way, I need to get one asap!

Thank you kindly,
    Melissa
    Last edited by nmprice11; 04-02-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Scratch off the Z850 from your list, the video quality is horrible!

The only contenders are Z750 and S600.

Z750 has slight edge in picture quality and has manual mode which you may/may not need.

THe S600 lacks the manual mode but adds the ff features:
    -takes pictures while recording movies
    -movie stabilizer
    -super slim

As for the date stamp no Casio digicam imprints the date stamp on the picture itself. It's really a bad idea in the first place because it obscures your photos and adds jpeg artifacts. Anyway, the date and time and all encoded into the jpeg file via the EXIF tags, so they're there if you know how to look.

Talking Thanks

Yes, I've since learned about the horrible video problems with the Z850, and how they are being returned for the limited time offered Z750. Good thing im doing my research and didnt just jump the gun for the newest model, huh. So, thank you.

Now, on the Z750, that limited option of not being able to take a picture while taking video was really upsetting to me, until, that is, I learned about the Motion Print where you can print segments from your 8 sec Short videos, which I thought was pretty much the same feature, so was extremely delighted about that. About the stabilizer, doesn't that just decrease the resolution and quality of the photo, not being a true stabilizer, therefor, not the best selling feature to consider?

Can you tell me if the anthracite (gun) colored Z750 model offers movies at 640x480? I love the color and it never seemed to have lens issues in reviews, but the following site only boasts the 30 fps with sound, which I thougt the Z750 offers movies either or. Also, when would you use the 30 fps over the 60 fps? Which in your opinion is best.

That site is specific to Exilim:Great site! http://www.exilim.de/euro/exilimzoom...razit/flexible

Thanks for your information and quick reply. With the larger LCD, better picture quality and bonus viewfinder for those sunny days and active photos, I think the Z750 is a winner. Any other perks I should know about please do share.

Much obliged,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by nmprice11
    Yes, I've since learned about the horrible video problems with the Z850, and how they are being returned for the limited time offered Z750. Good thing im doing my research and didnt just jump the gun for the newest model, huh. So, thank you.

Now, on the Z750, that limited option of not being able to take a picture while taking video was really upsetting to me, until, that is, I learned about the Motion Print where you can print segments from your 8 sec Short videos, which I thought was pretty much the same feature, so was extremely delighted about that. About the stabilizer, doesn't that just decrease the resolution and quality of the photo, not being a true stabilizer, therefor, not the best selling feature to consider?

Can you tell me if the anthracite (gun) colored Z750 model offers movies at 640x480? I love the color and it never seemed to have lens issues in reviews, but the following site only boasts the 30 fps with sound, which I thougt the Z750 offers movies either or. Also, when would you use the 30 fps over the 60 fps? Which in your opinion is best.

That site is specific to Exilim:Great site! http://www.exilim.de/euro/exilimzoom...razit/flexible

Thanks for your information and quick reply. With the larger LCD, better picture quality and bonus viewfinder for those sunny days and active photos, I think the Z750 is a winner. Any other perks I should know about please do share.

Much obliged,
    Melissa

Motion print grabs 640x480 stills from the movies, very low resolution, it's not the same as the S600's snapshots-in-movie feature.

S600 movie stabilizer results in 10% less resolution.

Exilims capture at 30fps, not 60fps.

I'd take the Z750.

My S500 is small. But too small for my liking. You gotta hold the camera really really steady because of its thin profile and light weight. Also, the Z750's got a viewfinder. Its not the best but its better then nothing. You can save a LOt of battery turning off the LCD.

Well, like DCResouce always says, check'em both out. Make sure its a choice you won't regret the next day or down the road!
    ================================
    Gallery : DeviantArt

dSLR : SAMSUNG GX-1L
    dP&S : CASIO EXILIM EX-S500
    35mm SLR : PENTAX MZ-M w/ PENTAX FG Battery Grip

SIGMA 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF (Pentax AF Mount)
    18-55/3.5-5.6, 35-70/3.5-4.8, 70-210/4-5.6, 80-200/4.5
    28/2.8, 50/2, 135/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/3.5, 300/5.6