Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full manual controls on small camera???

Hello there,

Could any of you guys point me out a small camera which has lots of manual control? I'm pretty new to photography, but in the future I'm sure I will learn all the techniques. I know there are lots of camera's who have those manual controls, but they are all pretty big, and (semi-)professional.

So far i have only found the Casio EX-Z750 to have all the things I am looking for, but I think there must be more camera's who live up to my expectations.
    Please help....

budget: < 400 $
    Size: Pocketsize
    Lots of manual control wanted
    resolution: => 5 MP
    Good picture quality
    Nice movie mode (640x480) 30 fps

SONY DSC-W100 is the best choice, released soon (i think, or already out, dunno)

Canon A610, aging model

Canon Powershot S80
    dont take me seriously

Quote Originally Posted by belboxtel
    Hello there,

Could any of you guys point me out a small camera which has lots of manual control? I'm pretty new to photography, but in the future I'm sure I will learn all the techniques. I know there are lots of camera's who have those manual controls, but they are all pretty big, and (semi-)professional.
    One other aging model to consider would be the Olympus C-750 (or others in that series). It's only got 4MP, but they're solid, with full manual controls, 10x zoom, and they take excellent photos up to at least 8x10. Negatives? Shutter lag typical of a digicam, and poor manual focus (I found the evf impossible to really focus on, so I ended up using the distance scale and guessing it in those instances).
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

About as compact as that casio you mention, the Sony P200. It has full manual options.
    Last edited by coldrain; 03-31-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

In the cameras that were suggested, I'm interested in what type of controls these are. Someone I know wants not only manual control but, as much as possible, traditional rings and dials to do it, rather than + and - buttons moving something on the screen.

Any other opinions about these models, such as size, noise, optics?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrewster
    In the cameras that were suggested, I'm interested in what type of controls these are. Someone I know wants not only manual control but, as much as possible, traditional rings and dials to do it, rather than + and - buttons moving something on the screen.

When you have a "small" camera, you don't have room for traditional rings and dials to perform certain functions. That's why the need for + and - buttons to perform multiple functions. If you want rings and dials to control manual functions/change settings, you will have to get a larger camera.

I would suggest looking at a dSLR.

Ray.

I understand the limitations, which is why I said "as much as possible". All I can tell you is that the person in question can be hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrewster

Why not read the reviews of these cameras?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Thanks guys,

Didn't think of so many helpfull replies on such a short notice.

Sure the dsc-w100 is an interesting option too. Some of the other camera's still work with AA power supply, of which i think it makes camera's just a little to robust.

But do you guys think the Casio Ex-z750 is a good camera to start with as a newbie willing to learn some moderate photographing skills? If I like making photograps serious, I know I need a serious camera like dslr. But a bit waste of money if I'm not going to use it for more then some quick snapping of pictures....

Like to hear from you guys again..

According to the database on this site, the Sony's mentioned don't quite have full manual controls. The P200 lacks white balance, the W100 lacks white balance and manual focus.

The Canon A610/620 are nice but will only fit in large pockets. As far as aging, they are only 6 months old but the Olympus C-750 came out in 2003 so would be hard to find.

How about the Casio Z110/Z120? They are small, have full manual controls, use AA's, and cost less than the Z750.