Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

SkiRacer Guest

Thumbs down Best Compact Camera for Outdoor Sports

I am looking to get a compact digital that I can take with mountain biking, skiing, ect. I will mostly be using it for action photography.

Which cameras have the least lag time between pushing the shutter button and the camera capturing the image?

It seems like a lot of cameras I have used are too slow for action shots, even with a fast film settings. There doesn't seem to be this sort of info included with camera specs.

Thanks

Aaron,

Quote Originally Posted by SkiRacer
    I am looking to get a compact digital that I can take with mountain biking, skiing, ect. I will mostly be using it for action photography.

Which cameras have the least lag time between pushing the shutter button and the camera capturing the image?

It seems like a lot of cameras I have used are too slow for action shots, even with a fast film settings. There doesn't seem to be this sort of info included with camera specs.

Thanks

Aaron,
    The "purest" answer to your question is dSLR's. Like film cameras when you hit the shutter button the picture is yours. And shot-to-shot is as fast as you can shoot or 3+ frames per second in continuous mode. Most dSLR's are also instant on. In the case of the D70 if you hold the shutter down and turn the camera on the frame is captured in about 0.5 sec.

Most modern consumer digital all-in-ones are ready to shoot from power-on in 2 to 5 seconds and can capture in less than 0.3 sec in prefocus (shutter half-pressed) mode and some down to 0.2 sec. Without prefocus that time can go out to 0.5 sec. and more.

Shot-to-shot speeds can be about 1 second when you turn off the picture review function. Keep in mind that the faster cameras seem to be in the higher price range all-in-ones.

Also keep in mind that sometimes you can anticipate the shot and a little "lag" is no big deal. On the flip-side of that are frequently missed shots. That's one of the reasons that you will not likely see a professional sports photographer using an all-in-one camera.

Jeff usually gives this speed information at the first paragraph of the "using the {camera}" section of his reviews.

So come up with a list of cameras you like and then read Jeffs reviews.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Red face Re: Shutter Lag

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Most modern consumer digital all-in-ones are ready to shoot from power-on in 2 to 5 seconds and can capture in less than 0.3 sec in prefocus (shutter half-pressed) mode and some down to 0.2 sec. Without prefocus that time can go out to 0.5 sec. and more.
    Actually, George, several "all-in-ones" can beat the times you mentioned. At least according to the spec sheets, the Panasonic FZ15 fires in .06s from pre-focus, the FZ20 in .08s. The FZ3 is about that fast also. The Kyocera cameras (SL300R, SL400R, M410R) also deliver shutter lags in the same ballpark. Moreover, for fast action shots, both the Panasonics and the Kyoceras offer high-speed burst or continuous shooting modes. For the FZ3 and FZ15, that's 4 full-res images per second in burst, ~3/second in continuous. For the FZ20, I think it's 3/second in burst. And I think the Kyoceras will do 3.3 frames/second in a continuous mode. And other makers may be hitting these speeds too; I'm just ignorant of the whole spectrum.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed
    Actually, George, several "all-in-ones" can beat the times you mentioned. At least according to the spec sheets, the Panasonic FZ15 fires in .06s from pre-focus, the FZ20 in .08s. The FZ3 is about that fast also. The Kyocera cameras (SL300R, SL400R, M410R) also deliver shutter lags in the same ballpark. Moreover, for fast action shots, both the Panasonics and the Kyoceras offer high-speed burst or continuous shooting modes. For the FZ3 and FZ15, that's 4 full-res images per second in burst, ~3/second in continuous. For the FZ20, I think it's 3/second in burst. And I think the Kyoceras will do 3.3 frames/second in a continuous mode. And other makers may be hitting these speeds too; I'm just ignorant of the whole spectrum.
    Thanks for that update John, In my own defense the cameras mentioned are fairly new and I was going by the (34) cameras I have tried this year. Additionally the cameras you mentioned are currently the exception rather than the norm.

I honestly didn't know that these cameras were that quick. Guess it's time to spend a day shooting with some of the newer cameras, as it sounds like they have improved (speed-wise) quite a bit. I don't recall the FZ10 being that quick.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/