Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Grafton, MA
    Posts
    1,714

    20D vs 30D vs XT High ISO...FWIW

    Took a few quick snaps to see if they improved the (already excellent) high noise performance of the 20D in the 30D. I shot the first set in AV then manually dialed in the settings for the other two cameras so (despite appearances) the settings are the same on all three. I also used AWB for all shots to see if there were any differences in the AWB characteristics. FInally, I set all parameters on all cameras to 0.0.0.

    Here's the full image:



    And the Crops (missed focus on the first 30D shot):






    www.jamisonwexler.com

    Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

    Past Gear

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    As expected, all three cameras are very capable up to ISO1600 if you nail the exposure. The 20D is quite impressive (I never did see it at ISO3200 until now), and it looks like the 30D is even better.

    If only my lowly XT could do that ISO3200...


    Looks like your 20D is a bit on the pink side. XT and 30D look close to the same to me.
    Ouch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,118
    I really don't think there is much (noticable) difference between the 20d and the 30d (other than that pink tint ) I can see slightly more noise in the dark area of the 3200 20d shot, but those are at 100% - a normal image it would barely be noticable. I would like to know what that pink tint is though...is there any WB correction being done on the 20d menu?
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by ktixx
    I would like to know what that pink tint is though...is there any WB correction being done on the 20d menu?
    Ken
    Wonder if maybe they improved the WB function on the 30D? Was that on the list of improvements?
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Near St. Louis
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter
    Wonder if maybe they improved the WB function on the 30D? Was that on the list of improvements?
    Ya they improved the 20D's white balance on the 30D by using the XT's white balance algorithim. LMAO

    Thanks for the sample images! Its chrismas in March baby! 30Ds showing up all over the place! Except for my place. =(
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    At the pixel level, they all seem so close that there's little to choose between them image-quality wise. How about lattitude?

    Also, are you using sRGB or aRGB?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,029
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    As expected, all three cameras are very capable up to ISO1600 if you nail the exposure. The 20D is quite impressive (I never did see it at ISO3200 until now), and it looks like the 30D is even better.

    If only my lowly XT could do that ISO3200...
    Just set it at ISO1600 and -1EV... same result except you have to recover it in post processing instead of letting the camera do the work.

    Looks like your 20D is a bit on the pink side. XT and 30D look close to the same to me.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Just set it at ISO1600 and -1EV... same result except you have to recover it in post processing instead of letting the camera do the work.

    Yeah I've done that before. My real point was I wish it had GOOD ISO3200.
    Ouch.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,029
    Quote Originally Posted by jamison55
    Took a few quick snaps to see if they improved the (already excellent) high noise performance of the 20D in the 30D. I shot the first set in AV then manually dialed in the settings for the other two cameras so (despite appearances) the settings are the same on all three. I also used AWB for all shots to see if there were any differences in the AWB characteristics. FInally, I set all parameters on all cameras to 0.0.0.

    Here's the full image:

    And the Crops (missed focus on the first 30D shot):
    Looks like the camera differences are pretty marginal...

    What is attractive is the subject. Kind of young, but I'm sure that Speyside 12 year old is most enjoyable. I prefer the Highland 18 year olds, and sometimes an Islay, but can only afford them once a year.

    For those in the audience thinking I'm a dirty old man, I'm talking single malt scotch. Anyone can build a camera, but a good single malt is a work of masters and one of mans truely great inventions.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Looks like the camera differences are pretty marginal...

    What is attractive is the subject. Kind of young, but I'm sure that Speyside 12 year old is most enjoyable. I prefer the Highland 18 year olds, and sometimes an Islay, but can only afford them once a year.

    For those in the audience thinking I'm a dirty old man, I'm talking single malt scotch. Anyone can build a camera, but a good single malt is a work of masters and one of mans truely great inventions.
    Since I spent a lot of time working with Soviet soldiers, my tipple is better-priced - vodka or white stork if I can find it. - white stork is moldovan cognac.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •