Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Dust in lens, am I the only one driven crazy by it?

You know... those tiny little dust particles in your lens... first one... then two... then 3 on a deeper element...

Am I the only one who is driven crazy by this?

I KNOW it has no effect I can see on image quality but STILL!

I really wish canon would seal the elements from front and rear on the L lenses atleast.

Tim

I have no dust inside any of my lenses, including my old EF 28-80 cheapo lens...
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by timmciglobal
    You know... those tiny little dust particles in your lens... first one... then two... then 3 on a deeper element...

Am I the only one who is driven crazy by this?

I KNOW it has no effect I can see on image quality but STILL!

I really wish canon would seal the elements from front and rear on the L lenses atleast.

Tim
    I know what you mean and it bugs me when I look down the barrel but otherwise I don't give it a second thought. On the kit lens I could care less but on the high dollar ones ($1000 and up) it's more irritating. Just because it's like "why oh why can they not seal a lens I paid this much for?!?"

Fortunately the one I use most is the 24-70 and it IS sealed. However, the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 is sealed, whereas my non-IS is not. Makes no sense to me. Bigma is practically a vaccum bag so it's worse than the others. Not enough to affect PQ but still annoying.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    I have no dust inside any of my lenses, including my old EF 28-80 cheapo lens...
    I find that hard to believe. Do you use your lenses? Do you live in a bubble? Have you ever been outside of it with your gear? Dust is inevitable.
    Ouch.

Thats what drives me insane, the 24-105 for example IS sealed but it still gets dust inside..

I found out "sealed" means "sealed from the front/sides" not back. It's only sealed from back if you mount it on a perfectly dust free chamber of a 1 series body. (good luck with perfectly dust free)

Tim

I don't think any of my lenses have dust in 'em. But the viewfinder on my XT is a veritable wonderland of dust bunnies and fibers in my optics. (Or maybe it's on the mirror? Both?) Just have to look past it I guess...
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Quote Originally Posted by 24Peter
    I don't think any of my lenses have dust in 'em. But the viewfinder on my XT is a veritable wonderland of dust bunnies and fibers in my optics. (Or maybe it's on the mirror? Both?) Just have to look past it I guess...
    Are you sure about that? I know in my 24-70 I can't see the dust unless I put it under light and angle it the right way...but it's still there.
    Ouch.

I've only had my 30D for about 2 weeks now. I took it to China and while I was there, I noticed a couple of dust specks through my view finder.

I used my rocket blaster to blow off both sides of my both of my L lenses. I also used it to blow off the inside of my camera.

The two dust specks still remain.

They don't show up in my photos.

I guess I can live with them as long as they don't ruin my pics.

I've got some dust and fibres on the focussing screen of my 3 week old 350D. Some were added in my futile attempts to remove what was originally there. It doesn't affect the picture quality so I can ignore it.

So, is a blower an effective and safe tool? Any recommendations for dealing with the problem of dust in the body (but not on the sensor)?
    Canon 350D
    28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM II
    18-55 kit lens

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    I find that hard to believe. Do you use your lenses? Do you live in a bubble? Have you ever been outside of it with your gear? Dust is inevitable.
    Yes I am sure. The Sigma and Tamron are not internal focussing either, so they move air in and out... yet still no dust inside the lens. The 70-200 and Tokina are internal focussing so they in theory are less vunerable. Inside is a much bigger dust hazard than outside btw.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30