Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

s2 memory card error

i have been using my canon s2 for the last two months and have not had any problem so far. but yesterday, when i switched the camera on, i got an error message " memory card error". i was shocked and switched off the camera immediately. when i powered it on again after five minutes, it worked fine from then on with no error message the whole day.

can anyone explain what is this error and why it could have occured? is it due to some camera malfunctioning? has anyone else got this error? please enlighten me.

What error was it?Write down the codes. Maybe it needs to be removed and put back in. Connection problem or somthing? Ive come to the conclusion that some memory cards are junk. I had one made by "Dane-Elec" and it worked fine then one day i couldnt access it. I put it in another device and it couldnt reconize it either. I put it back in the camera and then windows said it was an unknown format i needed to format it. So i did and i put some files on it and it seems to be working. I dont trust it though, i got a sandisk 512 now.

What brand is yours?

actually there was no error code. it just said "memory card error".

There might've been a speck of dust on the card's media or at the terminals, the card could've lost contact due to being jarred or vibrated at some point, or there could've been a "glitch" in the camera's bootup procedure. Just to be safe, I would remove the card, lightly blow on it or wipe it with a lent-free piece of material, place it firmly back in place, and run a "low level format" on the card before using it again.

I have purchased while ago an A-Data 2GB 50x memory card. At least once out of 10 times when I turn the camera on, I get a Memory Card Error. I usually get around it by either turning the camera off and on again in review mode or, I turn the camera off and release/reinsert the card (you do not have to take it out all the way, just push it out and back in.
    It seems like the Memory Card Error happens more often when there is no or very few pictures on the card.
    I eventually got tired of this error and purchased Sandisk 1 GB UltraII, which never gave me an error so far.

I had problems with low quality memory card also. I read on e-bay there is some fake memory cards being sold. They are not sandisk but are lower quality cheap with a reprint lable. I think these cards are the ones that have a high falure rate.

I would rather have a good quality memory card then one that has large storage. My camera holds about 200 pictures on a sandisk 512 meg card. Ive yet to fill it.

RE: s2 memory card error

I inadvertently purchased two "labelled" Sandisk 1GB cards on Ebay from a Canadian seller in the Vancouver area. I actually had ordered two 512mg cards from her. These 1GB ones can only format to 512mg and are actually "fakes". I've yet to get an error message but I'm waiting. Queries to the seller are not very positive.

hey Goldguy3005,
    I have had the same thing recently with my Canon Powershot A60, about 18 months after I bought it new.

I have been looking around forums on the net and found it to be a common occurrence to the Canon Powershot range, with many angry and frustrated owners/ victims. The worst part of it is that in most cases (mine included) it not only happens just outside of manufacturer's warranty but it can't be fixed other than being sent to a registered repairer. I've had 2 quotes for a minimum of 60 (over $100 USD) in each case. Considering I got the camera from an Amazon sale for 129, I think I'm now the owner of a rather fancy door stop, since this error renders the camera completely inoperable and it's not going to be worth paying out 60 to get it looked at.

I don't know if any other owners out there who've had the same experience can convince me to keep trying with it (eg, buy another flash card to try etc) but I've tried all 3 of mine (one which came with the camera, a Canon own-brand and 2x Viking cards of different capacities) and it doesn't stop reading "memory card error" at any time.

That's why I've returned to the world of digital camera shopping (and reading this forum !) because I believe I have to find a replacement (and not a Canon product ever again I might add, even though I was very happy my camera during its very short life !!)