Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    You're a lucky man Doug... we still have about two weeks minimum to wait here... still no confirmed date from Panasonic!!??

Good luck tomorrow, I hope it turns out to be exactly what you want as much as I'm hoping the same for myself!

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this little beauty.
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    You're a lucky man Doug... we still have about two weeks minimum to wait here... still no confirmed date from Panasonic!!??

Good luck tomorrow, I hope it turns out to be exactly what you want as much as I'm hoping the same for myself!

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this little beauty.
    Well, it's Friday morning! After doing a little bit of work I'm going over to Shinjuku to check things out.

I feel a little funny about buying yet another camera, since my cell phone here takes "pretty good" pictures and is 3 megapixels. And I also have a digital video camera.

But I really miss being able to take really nice zoom still pictures, like I did with my Olympus C700.

And my dog isn't getting any younger.

doug@figure people here would be very supportive of me buying a new camera

I went - but didn't buy - yet...

The camera itself seems very nice. I think I want one. But what mainly stopped me today was the price of the SD cards.

Panasonic recommends the 10 mb/s cards if you want to take full resolution, full frame video. But they are so expensive! It was $256 for the 2GB SD card alone!

So... much as I wanted to just take one home with me... I decided to come home first and check online and see if there are better memory card bargains out there.

I tried some photos in the store - macro and telephoto - using the stabilizer. I am happy to report that the stabilizer works really well.

doug

Doug - thanks for the report. I know that you'll be able to find much better fast SD card prices than that - just do a little digging online.

How big/small did the TZ1 'feel' to you? How easily would it fit in a jacket pocket? Pants pocket (probably not)? Can you compare its size [subjectively] to another camera that we may be familiar with?

Thanks again, Doug. You're the first at the scene!!
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by cvicisso
    Doug - thanks for the report. I know that you'll be able to find much better fast SD card prices than that - just do a little digging online.

How big/small did the TZ1 'feel' to you? How easily would it fit in a jacket pocket? Pants pocket (probably not)? Can you compare its size [subjectively] to another camera that we may be familiar with?

Thanks again, Doug. You're the first at the scene!!
    It felt pretty compact to me. As a matter of fact you are in luck there. I took a picture of it with my cell phone camera!

You can see it in my hand at the store at

http://lerner.net/doug/tz1.jpg

It definitely sticks out too much to fit into pants pocket. It's not "ultra thin" like Panasonic's 28 mm new model. But it would have been no problem at all to fit into my jacket pocket.

doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lerner
    It felt pretty compact to me. As a matter of fact you are in luck there. I took a picture of it with my cell phone camera!

You can see it in my hand at the store at

http://lerner.net/doug/tz1.jpg

It definitely sticks out too much to fit into pants pocket. It's not "ultra thin" like Panasonic's 28 mm new model. But it would have been no problem at all to fit into my jacket pocket.

doug
    Doug - THANKS! That's great for us that you took a picture of it like that! I agree - it looks pretty compact to me... unless of course you're 7 feet tall or something! In fact, based on your picture, I think I'm going to prep my Canon S2 for eBay. I'm betting the reviews on the TZ1 will be mostly favorable, and like I said, since the S3 is out, the longer I wait to ditch the S2, the less $$ I'll get for it.

Thanks again, Doug!! Great work. Any more info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I know that it's not just me and adamsfamily that are interested in this thing!
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by cvicisso
    Doug - THANKS! That's great for us that you took a picture of it like that! I agree - it looks pretty compact to me... unless of course you're 7 feet tall or something! In fact, based on your picture, I think I'm going to prep my Canon S2 for eBay. I'm betting the reviews on the TZ1 will be mostly favorable, and like I said, since the S3 is out, the longer I wait to ditch the S2, the less $$ I'll get for it.

Thanks again, Doug!! Great work. Any more info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I know that it's not just me and adamsfamily that are interested in this thing!
    I'm not 7 feet tall. I'm just 5' 8" tall and my hands are just normal size.

Like I said, I am definitely interested too. I just want to see if I can get a good-priced SD card first. But the cherry blossoms are about to bloom, so there is that pressure!

Let's see - other info:

* With just the built-in memory (like in the store) and at default settings the camera just holds 6 full resolution photos.

* The menus seemed to be easy to follow - even in Japanese.

* I was surprised at how little the zoom actually extends from the body at 10x optical. It must be that clever thing done with prisms.

* The zoom and focus and startup and shooting operations seemed perfectly fast to me, though I have not compared to anything else lately.

* After taking a photo there was a noticeable pause if you wanted to immediately switch to review mode to look over your pictures. Nothing like the saving time on my cell phone though.

* I tried taking macro and zoom photos in the store. With the stabilizer off the zoomed photos were sort of blurry. With the stabilizer on - it was like a miracle. Every one came out perfect! That is what I'm really looking forward to. I love long zooms! (Does anybody know how nice the "extended optical zoom" is?) Also the macro shots all came out perfectly. (Of course, everything looks perfect on a 2.5" screen I guess!)

* I tried the digital zoom to 40x but the quality was nothing to write home about.

* I tried the "power LCD" mode and it definitely gets much brighter. I compared the visibility to my cell phone (which has a 2.5" wide color screen) and it was much easier to see than my cell phone under the store lights. But I still wonder a bit how easy it will be to see out of doors in bright sunlight without a viewfinder. (The lack of a viewfinder gives me some pause, since I am 49 and have started to need reading glasses. I found myself removing my eyeglasses to read the screen comfortably. )

* I tried the "high angle" mode and, sure enough, the LCD because nearly invisible straight on but very clear at a high angle. I can't really imagine using that feature much though.

Anyway, not a bad report for 15 minutes playing around in the store.

doug

p.s. In Japan the body colors offered are silver, a dark blue and champagne gold. In the U.S. they have black instead of the gold. The blue looks sort of cheesy I think. But my first choice wasn't silver. I sort of wanted the black... Hmmm...

Thanks for the initial thoughts Doug,

Like I said, I am definitely interested too. I just want to see if I can get a good-priced SD card first. But the cherry blossoms are about to bloom, so there is that pressure! ...
    Cost of this doesn't worry me, I'll be getting a 1GB and that'll be enough!

Let's see - other info:

* With just the built-in memory (like in the store) and at default settings the camera just holds 6 full resolution photos.
    Who uses the built in memory??

* The menus seemed to be easy to follow - even in Japanese.
    Thats good, I want this to be a family camera that everyone can understand.

* I was surprised at how little the zoom actually extends from the body at 10x optical. It must be that clever thing done with prisms.
    And the folding optics.....

* The zoom and focus and startup and shooting operations seemed perfectly fast to me, though I have not compared to anything else lately.
    This is one thing that is of major importance to me... I want/need fast, especially minimal shutter lag!
    Do you think it came close to Panasonics claims of 0.008 lag with 0.5 seconds between shots?
    Did you try the continous mode?

* After taking a photo there was a noticeable pause if you wanted to immediately switch to review mode to look over your pictures. Nothing like the saving time on my cell phone though.
    When you say noticeable... 1 second, two, three???

* I tried taking macro and zoom photos in the store. With the stabilizer off the zoomed photos were sort of blurry. With the stabilizer on - it was like a miracle. Every one came out perfect! That is what I'm really looking forward to. I love long zooms! (Does anybody know how nice the "extended optical zoom" is?) Also the macro shots all came out perfectly. (Of course, everything looks perfect on a 2.5" screen I guess!) .
    Yummy yummy... Image Stabiliser... I'm never turning it off! (unless I'm on a tripod of course) Can't comment on the "extended zoom" quality, but it would appear that a 3mp picture will only give you 12.5x Optical, so I can't see the point personally, 10x will be just perfect for me!!
    I'm glad to hear the macros looked good as well.

* * I tried the digital zoom to 40x but the quality was nothing to write home about. .
    Another feature I've never used, so it can be as useless as it wants to be!!

* * I tried the "power LCD" mode and it definitely gets much brighter. I compared the visibility to my cell phone (which has a 2.5" wide color screen) and it was much easier to see than my cell phone under the store lights. But I still wonder a bit how easy it will be to see out of doors in bright sunlight without a viewfinder. (The lack of a viewfinder gives me some pause, since I am 49 and have started to need reading glasses. I found myself removing my eyeglasses to read the screen comfortably. )

* I tried the "high angle" mode and, sure enough, the LCD because nearly invisible straight on but very clear at a high angle. I can't really imagine using that feature much though.
    Power LCD sounds good, but we will have to wait until someone gets one and tries it outdoors!!
    As for that High Angle mode, it'll be used alright, especially at my sons TKD Gradings!!

So, from Dougs quick 15 minute review (thanks Doug, now get back there and buy it!) It looks like the following important points (to me) are covered....

1. Speed seems fast, would like some confirmed figures though and info on continous
    2. Picture quality seems good
    3. Zoom is great
    4. Pocketable
    5. High angle mode great

And lastly, the only thing left for review is the noise level and picture quality at higher ISO 800.

I'm plumping for the black one too,
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

Well, I wouldn't call my 15-20 minutes playing with it a full report. And one caveat - yes, the photos looked great. But remember, I only saw them on the 2.5" camera display itself. So just take that in mind.

I unfortunately didn't try the continous mode.

I didn't really try to time things like lag either - I paused myself between shots to see what the camera was doing.

By "noticeable time" between going into "review mode" I mean, oh, a second or 1.5 seconds. It wasn't "instant" going into review mode from camera mode.

Everything else seemed very fast.

Maybe I'll drop by again tomorrow.

doug@thinking I could probably also get by with 1GB...

Panasonic recommends the 10 mb/s cards if you want to take full resolution, full frame video. But they are so expensive! It was $256 for the 2GB SD card alone!
    Doug - not sure if you've had any luck finding a fast/cheap SD card yet, but after browsing for a minute in the 'Memory Cards' forum, I quickly found a 11MB/sec 2GB Ridata SD card for $71.99 at Newegg.com. Don't know what the implications of getting one to Japan are, but surely you can find something in the same price ballpark can't you?

Here's the deal at NewEgg.

Thanks again for the scoop!
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film