Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ-Austin
    ... I thought I'd ... post this reply I got on 3/24 from the Panasonic USA employee who sent the original press release stating that the TZ1 would be available in March:
    The camera is shipping this month and should be at retail locations like
    Circuit City and www.panasonic.com/lumix within the next couple of
    weeks.
    Yes - but - only today did they finally put an 'add to cart' icon next to the description at www.panasonic.com/lumix. That leads to 'Check availability' which reports 'Ships on or about 04/28/2006'.

I just now looked at Amazon.com: 'will be released on May 1, 2006'

We're almost there....

Also, 6ave.com claims to have received them today but they say they won't ship for 4 days for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lerner
    As requested, I did a test of the "burst sequence" feature that lets you rapidly take multiple pictures per second (2 or 3 depending on setting).

I took these with the "unlimited" mode that lets you keep shooting as long as you want until the memory card is filled:

http://lerner.net/doug/TZ1-Burst/

My impressions:

* Cool! I never did that before. It was, indeed, very fast!
    * I think they came out perfect!

doug
    Doug, I have replied already on these, but jsut wanted to reiterate how good I think the burst shots have done... and I loved your comments under "My Impressions"
    I see you used the "unlimited setting" for these, does that mean you just kept your finger on the shutter and it kept taking these nine shots until released? If so, it's better than I thought... you hardly miss a frame in the sequence you show, maybe 1/8th second between shots which is just great and will capture my kids and dog brilliantly!!!
    Can you tell me what the other options are for multi shot when you have time...

Boy oh boy I can't wait....
    Phoned Panasonic UK, and they still can't give me a firm date, only that they expect it to be end of first week or beginnig od second in April.... which doesn't help me on my hols next week!!
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird
    Thank you so much doug for the first hand review. Really appreciate it. From what I see(your photos) and read about the TZ1, it is a very nice camera. Think I can live without the manual mode. I'm currently using the Sony T9(gosh... it's only 3months old), which I will be selling off to get the TZ1. A few questions doug, does the TZ1 body feels solid? And also the lens cap, does it hv a loop/hole so that we can tie it to the camera body? Otherwise, it would easily get lost.
    Hi, blackbird.

The body does feel very solid to me.

And yes - the lens cap has such a hole and the TZ1 comes with a lens cap string and the first thing I did was attach it.

doug

Thumbs up This thread has helped tremendously!

I wanted to thank everyone (esp Doug) who has posted here. I have been searching for my first digital and was disappointed by the cons for the cameras that I was looking at. This one (TZ1) looks great and it was especially neat to be able to see the pictures that Doug posted. What do they say-a picture is worth a thousand words. I will await the reviews but as I said, this looks like the one!

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    Doug, I have replied already on these, but jsut wanted to reiterate how good I think the burst shots have done... and I loved your comments under "My Impressions"
    I see you used the "unlimited setting" for these, does that mean you just kept your finger on the shutter and it kept taking these nine shots until released? If so, it's better than I thought... you hardly miss a frame in the sequence you show, maybe 1/8th second between shots which is just great and will capture my kids and dog brilliantly!!!
    Can you tell me what the other options are for multi shot when you have time...
    Yes - with the unlimited setting I just kept my finger on the button and it took all 9 shots until I released.

All the sequence modes are:

High Speed - Takes 3 pictures/second.
    Low Sped - Takes 2 pictures/second.

With the above two modes, you can shoot a maximum of 3 photos in fine quality mode or 5 photos in in standard quality mode.

Unlimited mode - Takes approximately 2 pictures/second, to the maximum of the memory card.

And then there is all sorts of fine print about the photo conditions, like speed, ISO setting, whether you use the flash or not, how much of the memory card is full, etc.

doug

I got excited about 6ave.com but the human I talked to said the TZ1 was on the way--just like every body else--

Doug--great work on your analysis--have an FZ20 and can't wait to get the travel cam--

Thanks a bunch for all the info--

As requested, I did a test of the "burst sequence" feature that lets you rapidly take multiple pictures per second (2 or 3 depending on setting).

I took these with the "unlimited" mode that lets you keep shooting as long as you want until the memory card is filled:

http://lerner.net/doug/TZ1-Burst/

My impressions:

* Cool! I never did that before. It was, indeed, very fast!
    * I think they came out perfect!

doug

Very Cool Doug! Do you have any idea why that lady on the bike is wearing a surgical mask???

Quote Originally Posted by cuznvin
    Very Cool Doug! Do you have any idea why that lady on the bike is wearing a surgical mask???
    It's very common to see that during this time of year to protect hay fever sufferers from pollen in the air.

doug

It's very common to see that during this time of year to protect hay fever sufferers from pollen in the air.

doug
    Maybe thats what I need now! AAaaaachooo~