Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Where's the TZ1??

This is killing me! While I'm waiting for the reviews to surface on this thing, I find myself wandering... maybe I'll go with the Canon A540 for price/expandability/AA batteries... or... maybe the Fuji F10/11/30 for size and the most incredible pocket-sized low-light performance on the planet... or maybe just get a SD-based 5MP camcorder like the Sanyo HD1...

I know, I know... none of those are even remotely in the same category as the TZ1 - which I'm pretty sure is in a category all its own (or will be when it's released!): the only pocketable ultra-zoom (although it's hard to visualize just how 'pocketable' it is) PLUS one of the few (but growing number of) digicams that can use the optical zoom while shooting video. With the exception of that whole non-AA battery issue that I promise NOT to get into here , it's potentially my dream come true.

So where is it? It's now mid-March (Happy St. Patrick's Day BTW!), and I'm daydreaming...
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by cvicisso
    This is killing me!
    You and me both!!!

While I'm waiting for the reviews to surface on this thing, I find myself wandering... maybe I'll go with the Canon A540
    Don't do it... you know you'll regret it!!

for price/expandability/AA batteries... or... maybe the Fuji F10/11/30 for size and the most incredible pocket-sized low-light performance on the planet...
    Ok, yes the Fuji F11 may be the most pocketable camera out there with the incredible low light solution, but the FZ30.... Pocketable??? I think not!!

or maybe just get a SD-based 5MP camcorder like the Sanyo HD1...
    You know this just won't cut the cloth!!! Yeah it's good, but it's not what you want!!

I know, I know... none of those are even remotely in the same category as the TZ1 - which I'm pretty sure is in a category all its own (or will be when it's released!): the only pocketable ultra-zoom (although it's hard to visualize just how 'pocketable' it is) PLUS one of the few (but growing number of) digicams that can use the optical zoom while shooting video. With the exception of that whole non-AA battery issue that I promise NOT to get into here , it's potentially my dream come true.
    You damn right... they're not even close, so I'm still hoping it will be in a league of it's own and be true to Panasonics write up!!! And please, forget about the bugbear of AA batteries!!!

So where is it? It's now mid-March (Happy St. Patrick's Day BTW!), and I'm daydreaming...
    I've just phoned Panasonic UK and they can only tell me it'll be available early april!!!

As for any reviews.... no-one seems to have it planned at all which is dissapointing, because I'd love to see their thoughts.

Hang on in their CVICISSO.... I'm sure it'll be worth it!!
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    Hang on in their CVICISSO.... I'm sure it'll be worth it!!
    I know, I know, but... EARLY APRIL??!! Man! I was hoping that it was only days away... now we're talking weeks again. I'll try to stay focused... but it's hard not to let my mind wander... Thanks for slapping me back into reality!!

Gotta stay on target... stay on target...
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    Ok, yes the Fuji F11 may be the most pocketable camera out there with the incredible low light solution, but the FZ30.... Pocketable??? I think not!!
    I concur. But I was actually talking about the upcoming Fuji F30. Same form factor as the F10/11 but now with ISO 3200 at full res! I love the tactic that Fuji is taking here and I wish more companies would follow suit: Upgrade the sensor, but stay out of the megapixel war and instead use the extra resources to increase low light sensitivity. I don't really need a bizillion megapixels, but it sure would be nice to shoot in a dimly lit room without a flash! But NEVER with an XD card!!! WHY Fuji?? WHY???!!
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

My apologies.... I forgot about the new F30!!

I must say though I do agree, who needs anything bigger than 6mp and Fuji seem to be going along the right lines! If only the zoom was biiger, or it took conversion lenses... a 2x on this or the F11 would suit me to the ground! But alas it has the cursed XD card... hate 'em!!

Anyway, back on track please, the TZ1. Unfortunately it will be at least two weeks I feel, which is a bummer as I'm on me hols at the beginning of April and at this moment I don't have a camera... AAAaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!

Come on Panasonic, get a move on!!
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE

I'd like to see something with a body like the Pana FZ1, but with the Fuji F30's sensor, and an F/2.0 (like Canon G series) or F/1.8 (like some older Olympus cameras) lens at wide, and preferably no more than an F/4.0 at telephoto. I would (SURPRISE!!) be willing to give up some zoom on the tele end, so long as I still have at least 144 to 180mm (35mm equivalent), and the lens is threaded. (an F/1.4 wideangle would be nice, even, as well as the ability to run 1 stop higher ISO for every halving of megapixels selected in the menu, and 1 or 2 stops higher for grayscale shots.) Oh, and the ability to take CF and AA batteries would be nice, too, and what's the chance that something like that, and a TC sufficient to bring zoom up to the 500 to 700mm range, and (if it doesn't take CF), 2 GB of memory cards, could be had for $500 shipped?

I'm hoping to get one on Friday

They go on sale here on the 24th.

Doug@Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lerner
    They go on sale here on the 24th.

Doug@Tokyo
    Doug, if I interpret your message correctly, the TZ1 will be available in Japan this Friday (24 March)? If so, that's great and thanks for the update!

If you do indeed get your hands on one, can you give us a preliminary look/feel report? I'm mainly curious how big/small this thing is going to be (it's hard to visualize), and just how much more portable/convenient it will be than my behemoth Canon S2 IS - which is collecting more and more dust since I rarely want to lug it around with me. If the TZ1 is still too big to be 'pocketable' (and I know it's going to be pushing it) then I might have to look elsewhere. Now that the Canon S3 IS is announced, the eBay value of my S2 is dropping daily, so that's the reason for my urgency. Thanks again!!
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film

I second that Doug,
    The more you can tell us the better.....
    I'm not worried about the size personally, theres nothing out there to beat the size with that lens so that works for me!!
    It's the picture quality I want, and the high ISO. If noise is average if not better, then it's mine.... if it's bad, then I'm back to the board!!

WSo again, anything you can let us have will be VERY VERY much appreciated!!
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE

Yes - the 24th!

It is now Thursday evening, March 23rd here in Tokyo and the TZ1 is scheduled to go on sale tomorrow, Friday the 24th. I've been checking out different cameras and specs and have almost certainly decided to go with the TZ1!

So tomorrow morning I'm going over to Shinjuku to Bic Camera and first try it out and if it looks good I think I'll get one - with a 2GB SD card to boot!

I'll let people know how it goes.

doug@been wanting another digital camera since my sister dropped my old Olympus Ultra Zoom 700 on the sidewalk a year and half ago.