Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64
    There is a little button on the front of the camera, you push that and turn the little ring around the lens then you can pull the front off.

You need to get in there and measure that componet. Use the continuity mode, on the meter and test that. There are 2 copper pads you touch with the probes on your meter to check if the fuse is still good.
    Okay, so assume the fuse is not good. Do I buy a new fuse or solder the one I have?
    --Jabber

Canon S2 IS
    52mm Lensmate adapter
    52mm Hoya UV filter

Well you can use a jumper to test it, but the right way is to replace it. Its just a common surface mount fuse you may be able to get one localy. Not sure that is the problem but that is a good place to start if the camera is completly dead.

My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64
    There is a little button on the front of the camera, you push that and turn the little ring around the lens then you can pull the front off.

You need to get in there and measure that componet. Use the continuity mode, on the meter and test that. There are 2 copper pads you touch with the probes on your meter to check if the fuse is still good.
    The front still doesn't pull off. Do I need to pull it off to access the fuse?
    --Jabber

Canon S2 IS
    52mm Lensmate adapter
    52mm Hoya UV filter

You may, is it bad? do you have a soldering iron? solder a wire accross the fuse (bypassing the fuse) and see if it turns on. You have to put the case back on to put the batteries back in unless you have an AC adapter?

A85 Power Fuse replacement: is it same in A75 ?

Hello Jabber and BowerR64,

I'm watching this A85 fuse replacement with interest.

I have a Canon A75 that will not power up. Perhaps its fuse is also defective, since I've tried the basic troubleshooting techniques: batteries, terminals, memory cards, and I opened the rear case but didn't see any obvious faults.

Do you know if the A75 fuse is in a similar location and can you tell me where that location is, with respect to the shooter's perspective? That is, is it the front or rear, left or right, top or bottom corner?

Finally, should I replace the fuse with a jumper wire, or are suitable replacements available or fabricated?

Thanks in advance, Cal

Quote Originally Posted by CalOto
    Hello Jabber and BowerR64,

I'm watching this A85 fuse replacement with interest.

I have a Canon A75 that will not power up. Perhaps its fuse is also defective, since I've tried the basic troubleshooting techniques: batteries, terminals, memory cards, and I opened the rear case but didn't see any obvious faults.

Do you know if the A75 fuse is in a similar location and can you tell me where that location is, with respect to the shooter's perspective? That is, is it the front or rear, left or right, top or bottom corner?

Finally, should I replace the fuse with a jumper wire, or are suitable replacements available or fabricated?

Thanks in advance, Cal
    Okay, I'm going to answer you and comment about me. First off, I don't have an A85 even though that's the title of this thread (I didn't start the thread). I have an A60, so I think it will work just fine on an A75. Now, remove the screws as Bower said. One tip - to get to the last screw in the battery compartment, take out the date battery and it's underneath. You don't need to remove the ring as Bower said - well, at least, I didn't. You should be able to get the back off. While looking at the LCD, you should see a powerboard on the bottom. Rotate the camera away from you so the LCD is on top and you'll see two copper circles on the left of the powerboard (see Bower's pic for more details). Put some batteries in and test for continuity.

As for me, I tested, and there is continuity. I think now that maybe it's a problem with one of the switches, etc. What should I do next?
    Last edited by jabber; 06-15-2006 at 02:01 PM.
    --Jabber

Canon S2 IS
    52mm Lensmate adapter
    52mm Hoya UV filter

No you dont check continuity with the batteries in. It should check open or closed with no power. If it tests ok then it may be a switch.

I had one that had another open componet on the top side of the powerboard. I jumped it with solder and im still using it. Ive put over 2K pictures on it since.

Here is where it is located.

Another componet on the top side looks similar to the one on mine that looks burnt. This may actualy be the fuse, but some one told me on anothe rforum it was the corner componet that says "5F" meanin .5 amp fuse

If you look close at the componet on mine (red arrow) you can actualy see its burnt. I jumped it with solder and so far so good. I know its not the correct way to do it but the camera didnt work before so i didnt hae anything to lose.

You could probobly get a whole board used from a few sources if you needed it. 1 is a guy i know who does camera repair on e-bay, another is a guy named "Darntoothysam" on e-bay. He also has a website if you google that name you can get info and he has a bunch of used parts.

Those fuses blow randomly. The one i fixed with the solder was working fine and just out of the blue it blew lol

So should I take mine apart completely to look for broken fuses? I can't seem to get it apart - the front won't come off.

EDIT: Okay, I got the front off - it was as simple as opening the battery compartment! However, I then removed so many screws that my old camera is now just a bunch of pieces (lens, CCD, LCD, etc.) attached by orange tape. It is such a mess that, even if I did fix it, I'd never get it back together. So thanks for all the help, but I won't be needing it anymore. I didn't lose anything, and I sure had a lot of fun. Thanks again!
    Last edited by jabber; 06-15-2006 at 07:46 PM.
    --Jabber

Canon S2 IS
    52mm Lensmate adapter
    52mm Hoya UV filter

Throw it all in a bag then in a box and send it to me. I think i could get it working. Im still using an A70, it takes good pictures but its not in the best condition.

What other camera do you use?

When you took it apart did you see the little part burnt like the one i have? Dont throw it away though. Ide pay for shipping or what ever.

I just bought an S2 IS to replace my dead A60. Before it died, the CCD kept going completely purple every time I turned the camera vertical. Then it worked again, and then it just shut down while I was in playback mode. That's how it is now - off with the lens not retracted.

Don't worry, you don't have to fix it. My new S2 takes great pictures! I can't exactly see the entire bottom powerboard (I got all the other parts off except what's covering the powerboard) but, from what I see now, nothing is burnt.

I then got really bored and started picking it apart. For example, I unscrewed the contacts on the battery door and then the springs (where the little piece slides open and shut) flew out. I have them well-preserved, I just can't get them back in.

So, all in all, thanks for the offer, but if I hadn't read this post online and gotten help from you, it would be in the trash already. I had fun, but I don't need it fixed.

EDIT: I got the bottom powerboard off! But nothing looks burnt. And when I say I took apart, I mean that I really took it apart. I even took the black plastic off the optical viewfinder because I was trying to get to the mirrors inside (just to see how it works).
    Last edited by jabber; 06-16-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    --Jabber

Canon S2 IS
    52mm Lensmate adapter
    52mm Hoya UV filter