Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Dropped Camera, Lens Broken

Hello,

I am writing about our D50 with the bundled Nikon 18-55mm lens. It fell in the case and now the lens does not work. It attempts to fine focus however does not as the camera will not take a picture. Also when I move to zoom in/out its rough and there is about 1/4" of loose play if you manually move press on it.

Are these lens repairable in general or throwaway? The replacement cost looks like ~$180.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_j
    Hello,

I am writing about our D50 with the bundled Nikon 18-55mm lens. It fell in the case and now the lens does not work. It attempts to fine focus however does not as the camera will not take a picture. Also when I move to zoom in/out its rough and there is about 1/4" of loose play if you manually move press on it.

Are these lens repairable in general or throwaway? The replacement cost looks like ~$180.
    They're throwaway at that kind of price. It's only really worth sending a lens for repair if it's cheaper to repair than replace. I'd say that lens is cheaper to replace.

The lens is probably repairable, but may cost as much as a new lens. Contact Nikon Service to find out.

You can pick up the "imported" version of the 18-55 DX for $139 at B&H.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Use the $150.00 you were going to...

use for repair and pop for a new lens. In fact, add a few more bucks to it and may I suggest you grab the Sigma 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC?

Take the opportunity to get something a bit more useful than the toss away 18-55mm.

I found myself instantly wanting a deeper zoom, when I first grabbed the kit lens (18-55mm) with my Canon 20D. Oh, I still have it, but is sits quite dorment in my bag, as a backup only. For the budget I've limited myself to the Tamron 18-200mm does most of the work, now... giving me solid zoom range, smooth operation and darn nice shots.

Also, the Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3D DC Aspherical (IF) Lens would do the same. Either the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8... great portraits on a shoestring budget or the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 utility player. All are about the same cost... $290

Just a suggestion, but once you go there, you will not look back.

Good luck... and be careful with that equipment. It's not cheap
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Once I got away from my 18-55 kit lens and got something with a little more zoom to it, I started realizing how much fun you can have. I would recommend looking at an upgrade also - you won't regret it.
    Having fun...learning...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_j
    Hello,

Just my 2 cents about dropping cameras...
    When I am out for an extended time walking around with my camera I use this neoprene wrist strap that attaches fast and easy with velcro and snaps to the other 1/2 that is located on the camera instead of a neckstrap, it's well worth the low cost in case you do happen to have the camera slip out of your hand...
    Bullitt

Nikon D200
    Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro
    www.betterphoto.com/?darrell

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I was able to pick up the same lens never used for ~$100 off Craiglist. I will stress to my wife to retract the lens before placing into the case, it only fell approx 1.5' in a soft case off a couch however with full extension I guess broke it.

I'll give you $5 for the broken one

I need a broken Nikon lens that will either fit my D70 or one of the older Nikons. I plan to shatter it and then use it as a prop in a picture taken using my other D70.

Obviously you wouldn't have to worry about packing it too well.

Curt

You realize this thread is almost 3 years old don't you?
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

... oh how dated we all are, eh?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi