Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camera for trip to europe

I will be traveling to Europe this summer for vacation and figure a trip like that should have a decent camera along. My Minolta dimage xt just wont cut it for this one I think. I have been looking at the canon s1, sony h1, and panasonic fz5/7. Due to the trip I would like to stay away from battery packs so that kind of cancels out the fz5/7. I like the rotating screen on the s2 and the fact that it uses SD; although if the sony stick is reasonably priced I wouldnt shut it out, plus I like 2 AAs over 4. I am very open to other brands that anyone would suggest, but would really like AA power. I've read the reviews and all of those sound great, but really want the one that will take the clearest consistent pictures. I have never owned a good camera before so learning how to use this may be a chore, but I can figure it out I think(hope.) I've seen the S2 for $350(figure they are clearing out for the S3.)

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.I would like to spend no more than $550 for the camera, batteries, and 1gig min memory card

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Not too concerned about the size, I'll bring my XT along incase I need a small one
    Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?I figure 5 will be more than enough

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)hoping for a 12x zoom, can never have enough

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    10; I dont want to come back and find 25% of my pictures are garbage
    Do you care for manual controls? doesnt matter

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?nothing bigger than 8x10 probably

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? probably 50/50 I would guess

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? I would like to be able to get some shots at football games or whereever

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?Was decently happy with my minolta, but dont really want one going out of business

Are there particular models you already have in mind?Sony H1 and Canon S2

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)I have kind of shakey hands so image stabilization

Thanks for your help everyone. I've talked to others and they said either of the main 2 would be good, so I'm stuck on which to actually get.

I find the S2 IS over all the nicest camera of the two with its accurate colours, swivel screen, design and lens. But the H1 is better in lower light because its ISO 200 and 400 is more usable (less noisy). So for non flash photos in not so well lit musea for instance, the H1 is the better choice. BUt under normal light conditions inside or outside the S2 IS will do well.

One thing to get used to is that the S2 IS sometimes will be difficult about focussing, I do not know how the H1 is in that respect. But both will make nice versatile vacation cameras.

But since summer is still far away, I would wait to see what the S3 IS and H2 will offer, they just may be better in higher ISO stuff.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I'm going in mid may and would like to be able to learn it well before hand. So at this point I have 2 months just about. Also, if it came down to the older model for $100-$150 less than the newer model the older one would win in that battle. I'm going to take an SD card and go somewhere and shoot some shots with the S2. Sadly I dont have a sony stick to do the same with.

I would spend a little bit more money and buy a Nikon D50 for your trip to Europe...well at least, thats what the Nikon commercial here in USA sells to us lol.

SCENE:

two incredibly attractive young couple are walking the streets of Paris and all of a sudden see a photo op, so they put the camera in auto mode, and hand the camera to a Frenchie with a paint brush wearing one of those hats that angle to the side- asking him to take the picture. They smile, camera fires, and a perfect picture shows the couple. So...according to Nikon (lol) if you spend the few extra $$$ on the Nikon D50 you will take great pictures and hook up with some total HOT babe in Paris and live happily ever after....

Haha, As tempting as that is I dont think my travel partner(girlfriend) would appreciate that.

I'm trying to read all I can on these two and the only thing that I think is really pulling me from the sony is the screen on the canon.

Has anyone got it thinking the rotating screen would be great and then end up not using it as much as they thought?
    Last edited by gtchief; 03-10-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtchief
    Haha, As tempting as that is I dont think my travel partner(girlfriend) would appreciate that.

I'm trying to read all I can on these two and the only thing that I think is really pulling me from the sony is the screen on the canon.

Has anyone got it thinking the screen would be great and then end up not using it as much as they thought?
    I always compose on the screen. The all-in-ones such as the S1 IS (read S2 IS) tend to be easier to use as psuedo dSLRs though - at eyelevel although the S1 does have a nice screen.

I can see big advantages for small UZ cameras like the S2 IS to a bulky heavy D50, on vacations. It is just very nice to have a compact easy to store camera, so you do not have to lug around your equipment.
    I'd suggest to buy a small capacity memory (16/32mb?)stick to test the H1 too, its a small investment which enables you to get a better idea about te 2 cameras.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    I can see big advantages for small UZ cameras like the S2 IS to a bulky heavy D50, on vacations. It is just very nice to have a compact easy to store camera, so you do not have to lug around your equipment.
    I'd suggest to buy a small capacity memory (16/32mb?)stick to test the H1 too, its a small investment which enables you to get a better idea about te 2 cameras.
    Agreed. Personally, I have the S1 and use it for video and for stills. My recommendation is to buy lots of memory or a couple of 1gb cards and a hyperdrive 80. The reason for this: the S2 will take 1GB of video before it needs to pause. A 1GB card takes about 15-20 minutes to download onto a hyperdrive. As a minimum you need two cards.

Let me add this into what I would hope for. I tend to be slightly rough on certain items I own. This camera may end up going ATVing with me. It will be bounced, jounced, and chilled. I may use it with dirty hands and possibly muddy hands.

With that in mind; between the Sony H1 and Canon S2 which seems like it can take the abuse better? Less cracks and crevices for dirt/dust to get into. A solid answer on this one and my decision will probably be made.

Quote Originally Posted by gtchief
    Let me add this into what I would hope for. I tend to be slightly rough on certain items I own. This camera may end up going ATVing with me. It will be bounced, jounced, and chilled. I may use it with dirty hands and possibly muddy hands.

With that in mind; between the Sony H1 and Canon S2 which seems like it can take the abuse better? Less cracks and crevices for dirt/dust to get into. A solid answer on this one and my decision will probably be made.
    Well, in that case no digital camera will last long. They're all delicate items.