Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What should I replace my S1 IS with? (Fuji F30, Pana TZ1, etc)

Which camera should I buy?

---------------------------------------------

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Also, does the price include accessories / lenses / etc.? If not, how much are you willing to initially invest in the extras that don't come in the box with the camera?

$400 to $500, including accessories. (I might be willing to consider going higher if it's a really good deal, and I put off the purchase decision a little longer.)

When to buy

When do you anticipate wanting to buy the camera? (if not immediately / as soon as possible / today / this week / etc)

earliest: late June 2006. latest: mid December 2006. would be willing to
    consider earlier or later than that, though.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

I'd really like something smaller (thinner) than my S1 IS. Preferably no larger than 140mm wide, 48mm thick, 72mm tall. Smaller is better, but within
    reasonable limitations. (I'm willing to go taller if it's thinner - example 90mm tall and 30mm thick.)

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

At least 5, minimum. Would like 7 or 8, and 10 or 12 would be nice. I will
    probably be doing quite a bit of heavy cropping, and will want to be able to at
    least make 4x6 (up to 8x10) prints from the crops.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom =
    10x-12x, Other - Specify)

What I want and what I think (come later this year) I can reasonably get,
    are two different things. (although, mating the Panasonic TZ1 with the sensor from the Fuji F30 might get me close, though..)
    (I would like a super wide-zoom fast lens (example 21mm-504mm F1.0-F2.0 or 18mm-1440mm F1.0-F2.8 lens, but I don't think that's even REMOTELY possible.)
    Being more reasonable (I think, based on comparing similar things I've seen from things in the past, and assuming some technology to come out in the next several months could make moderate to significant improvements)....
    (Here's where I have a dilemma... I'm willing to consider using a TC, but it'd HAVE to get me at least a 1.5-2x longer telephoto focal length than I'd be able to get with ANY all-in-one lens currently available, and would have to stretch my budget no more than $50-100 from the price mentioned above. I'd prefer that wideangle be built-in. If I'm going to be adding to the bulk of my camera, I want more light-gathering capability (like a faster aperture) or a longer focal length (more "zoom").
    First, the all-in-one option (which I don't think will happen in the size body I'm looking for): 24mm to 504mm F/1.4 to F/4.0 (camcorders have 20x optical zoom lenses and fast apertures)
    Now, the moderate+TC option (which I think is more reasonable):
    27mm to 162mm F/2.0 to F/2.8.
    I'd like the lens to have an aperture at wideangle comparable to the Olympus x0x0 series or Canon G series, and at telephoto comparable to the Panasonic FZ20 if possible.
    (I'd like the ability, with a good TC, to be able to go to 3000 to 4000, or even 5000mm focal lengths (mainly to be used to take long-distance photos outdoors in good light, macro photos of dangerous creatures from a safe distance (where, for example, a small bug's head fills the frame), or lighted heavenly bodies.))

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

8-10. (for reference, I'd rate my S1 IS (resolution/megapixels notwithstanding) at 5-6 (sometimes 7) for daytime outdoor shots, 2-4 (sometimes 5) for indoor shots, and -2-1 (that's minus two to one) for night shots. I especially want a decent high ISO, for example what the Fuji F30 offers. (I read the other day about their new sensor that's supposed to be 3x more sensitive - any chance on a good camera with that sensor being on the market by year's end?)

Do you care for manual controls?

Of course. My S1 IS has them, and there are things I'd like to be able to do with this new camera that I can't do on the S1.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

taking pictures of all kinds of subjects, especially moving subjects in moderate indoor lighting without flash, reviewing them, editing them some in-camera (cropping, layering, etc - like a stripped down version of Photoshop/GIMP), shooting movies, etc.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

If previous track record is any indication, I will not be making hardly ANY prints. However, when I DO make them, the vast majority of them will be 4x6. I may blow some up to 8x10, though.
    When I get prints, I would like to be able to get them priced such that, assuming I print about 240dpi, I would have to print at least 8 to 10 memory cards full of prints before I get to the cost of one of those memory cards (assuming a 1GB memory card at current average discount street prices from reputable vendors.)

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

yes, especially indoor, often also night outdoors. ISO 3200 at full resolution is a MUST, and ISO 6400 at full resolution (so long as it's not noisier than ISO 1600 on the Fuji F10/F11) would be nice (as well as the ability to go even higher in ISO using the following ratio (or something similar): for every halving of megapixels, the sensitivity is doubled.)

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

yes. Hopefully mostly in good lighting - worst lighting would be indoors under incandescent lighting or outdoors under flood lighting. Use of the flash (unless it doesn't draw ANY extra attention to the fact that there's a camera around) is not an option.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I like Fuji's sensors, Panasonic's fitting a long zoom into a compact body.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

[B]Fuji F30 (but a slow lens, xD cards, no AA batteries, and no swivel LCD is turning me off), Panasonic TZ1 (but not having CF, AA, swivel LCD, high ISO turns me off)[B]

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle,
    Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Wide angle: would be nice. The higher the resolution I get, the wider wide angle I want.
    Image Stabilization: I DID ask for good high ISOs, but I also want IS, as I will be doing a lot of handheld low-light telephoto photography, and some handheld 1-second-plus wide-angle photography (I HAVE done this when I'm very careful with my S1 IS, and if I brace myself and lean (including the camera) on something, I've done 15 seconds.)
    Weatherproof: nothing special, so long as I can use it in average southern California rainy weather without damaging the camera. Shockproof would be nice, though. I've been lucky with my S1 IS, but I dropped my A70 1.5 feet to a hard floor and jammed the lens. I want this camera to be able to survive more abuse, although I plan to be careful with it.
    Hotshoe: So far I haven't had a camera that has one, and I haven't missed it. However, if I can get a faster lens by giving up an onboard flash, then I'm willing to connect an external flash when I need to use one (cause when I'm using a flash, I'm obviously not going to be shooting in "stealth" mode, so I won't need the camera to be quite as small.)
    Rotating LCD: this is a MUST.

Is there anything else not mentioned above?

I want a GOOD movie mode (at least 640x480 30fps 32kHz stereo (160kbps MP3 is ok) that's efficiently compressed (like DivX, MPEG, DVD - something that does at least 2x better than my S1 IS without any apparent reduction in quality.)
    If it takes other memory types than CF, I want at least 2GB (preferably 4GB) of memory to be included in the above price range. (second choice for memory format is SD, then DVD+/-R/RW / blu-ray / HD-DVD)
    Same with batteries other than AA. Would prefer that non-AA batteries be obtainable for no more than 1.5-2x the cost of comparable AA batteries (example would be comparing one Li-Ion battery to one set of four 2500mAh Energizer NiMH batteries, where the Li-Ion would be the equivalent cost of 2 sets of Energizers.)
    Last edited by pianoplayer88key; 03-22-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quite honestly, I'd stick with the S1 IS. I use one and love it. I do hav eother digital cameras for other purposes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Quite honestly, I'd stick with the S1 IS. I use one and love it. I do hav eother digital cameras for other purposes though.
    Just leave this guy be, Rhys. He ALWAYS makes posts like this, with unfounded silly requirements. ALWAYS the same long lists of rambling nonsense. Not sure why this floats his boat, but I guess one must have hobbies.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30