Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Capture w/NIK

Capture w/NIK

I'll apologize right up front for being such a dummy. I've read a number of posts re: PP and most are Greek to me. Right now I am focused on learning my D70, lenses and the characteristics of raw digital images vs film.

I have Capture w/all recent updates and NIK filters. The software is fun to play with but I don't really understand the fine points.

Currently I transfer w/PictureProject and edit w/Capture.

My concern is that as my archive of "keeper images" grows, and my knowledge of PP and printing grows, I may want to change software at some point. If I continue to edit w/Capture and NIK filters, will this in any way prevent me from switching software at a later date and PP images that have previously been edited w/Capture?

My understanding is that Capture will not modify the origional image and if you save a modified image it will create a new file. I haven't seen that yet so it is probably "operator error".

Any advice written in lay terms would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin
    I'll apologize right up front for being such a dummy. I've read a number of posts re: PP and most are Greek to me. Right now I am focused on learning my D70, lenses and the characteristics of raw digital images vs film.

I have Capture w/all recent updates and NIK filters. The software is fun to play with but I don't really understand the fine points.

Currently I transfer w/PictureProject and edit w/Capture.

My concern is that as my archive of "keeper images" grows, and my knowledge of PP and printing grows, I may want to change software at some point. If I continue to edit w/Capture and NIK filters, will this in any way prevent me from switching software at a later date and PP images that have previously been edited w/Capture?

My understanding is that Capture will not modify the origional image and if you save a modified image it will create a new file. I haven't seen that yet so it is probably "operator error".

Any advice written in lay terms would be appreciated.
    First, you have to understand the nature of a raw (.nef) file. The file has two parts. The first is the sensor data. This is the digital version of the analog sensor capture that has some processing done and then is digitized. None of the processing has any relation to camera settings other than basic exposure (shutter and aperture). The other part of the file is what you see when you display the EXIF data. Nikon calls this the "instruction set", and it contains much more than just what is displayed as EXIF.

No matter how many times you save a file in Capture, the "Original" settings remain in the file. However, you do not get a new file unless you save under a different filename. In Capture, you can always go back to the Original settings.

Some other editors make only limited use of the instruction set. I don't know much about these, but I suspect changes you make in Capture and don't freeze by converting to tiff or jpg, are lost in some or all other editors. That doesn't mean the image is no good. It just means that some editors will only show the original settings, and maybe not all of those, defaulting some items that it cannot read due to Nikon's encryption of portions of the instruction set. There may be some editors that cannot open a Capture edited file, but again, I'm not privy to that information.

One thing you can take to the bank. The sensor data is NEVER changed by editing the file, only the instruction set.

Thanks Erich.

I'm the type of guy where a little technical knowledge makes me dangerous!

I'm hoping to take a Nikon workflow class next month that will get me up to speed on how to transfer, store, backup, PP and printing.