Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Powershot S1 CCD Problem

I am having what seems like the same problem that plagues the other Canon cameras with a CCD malfunction. Does anyone else with a Powershot S1 IS also have CCD problems?
    I've read at least one post that says that the Powershot S1 IS has the same sensor as the Ixus V3 (which has been recalled and for which Canon is giving free service). I've done some checks, and a couple of the recalled Canon cameras have the same size (1/2.7 in) and same approximate megapixels (effective 3.2, total 3.4).
    Would anyone know if Canon uses the same CCD in certain cameras? Is there a website that has information regarding the same CCDs? I've done my research but I still haven't found a site.
    Oh, and the camera is sometimes fine, sometimes it isn't (just like in the other thread about Canon CCD problems).
    Thanks in advance to any replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by J.Raphael; 03-09-2006 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Attach Sample Picture and update

I also have a unit of S1 IS having the same problem

My camera is always handled with care and never dropped...

but one day, about 1 month ago it suddenly gives me a bad viewfinder image... then i tried to shot and gives me the same picture as yours..

after I consulted with a digital camera store in my town, the officer said it must be the sensor that having a problem...

So I searched through google and finds out about Canon's CCD Problem at:
    http://dpreview.com/news/0510/051006...ccdproblem.asp

but becase I'm living in Indonesia and Canon doesn't have any official representative here, I contacted Canon Singapore.

They gave me a very bad answer, stating that Canon S1 IS is not in the list...

They didn't give me any solution to my problem, and didn't reply my next email to them, I'm very very disappointed at CANON!

From what I read on Malaysian and Phillipine's forum, these problems also occurs to S1 IS in those countries... And a few forum members said that they must pay about 125 US Dollars to fix it... poor me...

My camera is still neglected in that condition...

Regards,
    Widita
    from Indonesia...

Smile Canon will include it in camera's with a CCD malfunction

I just brought my PS S1 to Canon today. I got an e-mail from Canon Philippines yesterday telling me that they will be including the Powershot S1 in the list of cameras with malfunctioning CCDs.

In other words, if the problem is the CCD (which the service representative said it most likely was) then my PS S1 will be fixed for free.

Yipeee!

Only problem is that there might be a wait of around a month or two before I get my camera back since their backed up because of the service advisory.

A70 CCD problem

Hi All

Today, I got the same probem with my A70 CCD.
    I sent an email to Canon Malaysia, and wait for the reply.
    Hope they will give me their best service

Wijono
    KL

That is the symptom of the CCD problem. If yours looks like that send it in reguardless of what they say. That is what a defective CCD looks like.

I had that problem with an A70 - it looks almost identical (purple smearing), and sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. My camera was bought used, and is well outside any warranty period, so I can't really do much about it. Hopefully Canon will fix yours for you for cheap/free!

Just as a point of reference if it is NOT covered under warranty- Canon charges $181.36 (US $) for the lens/CCD unit (they come as a calibrated pair) as a repair part.. so it's pretty much one of those deals that isn't worth the repair costs if you're the one footing the bill. That's more than a used S1 on ebay, and you're into the S2 price range once you account for labor and their service fees.

That being said- I have an S1 that was dropped that busted the lens assembly.. my CCD is fine, I just need the lens part.. so if Canon won't fix yours and you'd like to sell it, let me know.

- David

I sent my A70 in when it looked like that and they fixed mine for free. Im sure if they see any other damage other then the defect they will charge you to fix that but they call before they do any repairs.

Again, like i said if your getting that purple smearing send it to canon. You can call them first, you can e-mail them to find out but they are repairing this defect and they even pay shipping both ways.

In warantee or not they are fixing it so contact them. WHen i called they asked me where i heard about this and i told them i read it on their website. Wich i did

I just got my A70 back 3 weeks ago ive already put over 100 pictures on it since.

Maximo Guest

Powershot S1 CCD Problem

Hi everybody,

I'm having this same problem with my Canon S1 camera. When I turn it to camera mode, I only see "black" LCD, no image appear at all, although I can still see the settings option. The camera was never dropped. From what I have read over several forums this problem is quite common in very humid places. I have read 4 persons reporting this issue (from Indonesia and Australia) and I live in Manaus - North of Brazil (Amazon). So, this "humidity" argument makes sense. Now, does anyone knows if canon already resported any official statement including S1 in this CCD issue? I read this: http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?...enomena_notice, but it doesn't include S1. My nearest service provider is in São Paulo, and if I go there I really want this fixed for free.

Thanks,
    Máximo

A70 CCD problem: repaired for free

Quote Originally Posted by wijono
    Hi All

Today, I got the same probem with my A70 CCD.
    I sent an email to Canon Malaysia, and wait for the reply.
    Hope they will give me their best service

Wijono
    KL
    Wow .....
    I got back my camera after they repaired it. It took 2 weeks. There was noted that they changed the CCD connector. It was free of charge.
    Good service.

sonicDX Guest
    MyS1 Has the Same Problem