Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Its mango time in India!

HI all . Its mango time again in Chennai ,India. The tree branches grown right into my terrace from the next house.
    Krishna
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Krishna, Kirshna - I've said it before: I love your enthusiasm for photography and don't want to do anything to dampen that, but dude, you've got to go for more interesting subject matter. Or make what you're shooting more interesting to your audience.

I love mangos as much as the next person but is there a playground nearby with color images of little kids running around? Or a harbor with colorful boats? Or even interesting architectural studies close by? And if you want to do mangos, that's cool. But why not capture them in their most flattering light - I mean that literally. Is there a point during the day when they're bathed in the glow of the morning sunrise, covered with dew with brightly colored birds flittering around them? (Heck if there's no dew, get a spray bottle and create the illusion!) But give me something that conveys emotion and tells a story. That - as much as being technically proficient -is what makes for great photography. What story do you want to tell; what feelings do you want to convey. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what will draw me more into your pictures.

Look at some of the other people's photos on this forum that you like. What is it that you really like about them? For me, it's how they make me feel. Even Jamie and Parm's peanut butter photos can tell a story/cause and emotion. Study lighting, both in photos and in paintings. See how it creates a mood. I'll stop now b/c all you really wanted to do was share your mango photos with us. So take what I say with a grain of salt. If it speaks to you as is, that's all that matters. Wait for the rest of the world to catch up with you brother!
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Krishna - I agree with Peters assessment -

Let me just say this - This is a cool idea for a thread to me. I mean, the only thing I have that grows into my yard that has any interest to me is. . . well nothing. weeds, grass and just plain old trees. No fruit trees/plants at all. And while I enjoy mangos, they are found at my local grocer, but its really neat to hear about and see where they just grow locally, ie your yard. Thats a really cool thing for those of us who don't have that sorta stuff. But I think you can take a better image to help tell your story with more, as peter put it, emotion, or if not emotion, at least a little more eye candy to keep us looking at it. That would be the part where peter described basked in morning light or sunset light, covered in dew, a different angle perhaps. . .

The current picture is more along the lines of a snap shot - which I'll be honest I have tons of snap shots, there is nothing wrong with them. But for peak interest you'll want to "Make" a better shot, which I know you can if you tried. Its all about the experimentation and creation - thats photography and when you get both of those working for you and the experimentation pays off with the creation of a wonderful photograph its a wonder thing.

So get back out there when you have time and see how you can improve on that first photo - My suggestion is this - you have posted a photo that is exactly what someone else would see if they walked up to this tree and looked at it - try varying your point of view - shows the mangos at a different angle than the most common, walk up and look at it angle. . . Any other info to share with us about the Mangos? I don't know but are they harvest in your part of the world and sent elsewhere, are they found elsewhere in the world growning naturally? whats the story with Mangos, help us understand more with words and images.

Looking forward to seeing more.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Couple more thoughts - I agree with Parm - it's kind of the difference between a photo and snapshot. One records what anyone could see and the other conveys a vision/emotion or tells the story the photographer wants to tell. This is not easy stuff - for me at least. After my little diatribe this morning I got to thinking about my own photography and I have to admit I'm usually more caught up in the technical than artistic aspects of it. So what story do I want to tell? It could be as simple as "Mango's are delicious" and then creating an image that portrays that. But it happens before I take the photo. Considerations of lighting and composition become primary (in addition to choosing a compelling subject to begin with). But it is a subjective thing. What speaks to me may not speak to everyone else and vice versa. So I don't want to come across as ragging on your photo. If you like it, that's all that matters.

One other thought from my earlier post: if there is a playground close by, make sure you get the parents consent first before shooting shots of their kids. When I took these shots for instance I made sure Justin's mom was fine with it (I sent her a disc for free later and she loved it.)

Story: The joy of exploration and discovery

Story: the power of mom's love (she was singing softly to him here and he was just mesmerized by her voice.)

See the rest here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/kids2
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

All right guys! Well said. Actually to be very honest I just wanted to share the mangoes! All right the next ones gonna be a shot from a good angle. Actually and unfortunately I did not not have the sun on the fruit! Peter and Parm I shall get an A in the next!
    cheers
    BTW the kid is really cute! Esp the first shot

Quote Originally Posted by mediyoga
    All right guys! Well said. Actually to be very honest I just wanted to share the mangoes! All right the next ones gonna be a shot from a good angle. Actually and unfortunately I did not not have the sun on the fruit! Peter and Parm I shall get an A in the next!
    cheers
    BTW the kid is really cute! Esp the first shot
    Hey Krishna, I am looking forward to seeing the next image(s). I like your enthusiasm! Don't ever loose it.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Parm
    see my post" perspectives" and comment. BTW I always like prove to myself that I am capable of good work in anything I do. I like doing a thorough job always! All the pics are from my vacation shots in US and Hawaii. I aim to post plenty more to learn if my perspectives are good.
    krishna
    Last edited by mediyoga; 02-27-2006 at 07:53 PM.