Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs down went to B&H all ready to get a 679B Monopod

with the 3229 Swivel/tilt head. Picked it up and thought "yuck!!!". Longer then I though it would be, kind of cheap feeling, small diameter at the handle and the head was tricky to operate. Ended up with the 680B (much better feel to it and a little shorter folded up) with the 3265 Grip action ball head with quick release. Yeah so my wife just spent an extra $70 on my Xmas present but I'm worth it. Of course now I have to wait a week before I can try it out.

That was the first time I had been in B&H and let me tell you a week before Xmas it was a freaking zoo!!! Must make a mint there though.

www.how-wood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary24 View Post
    with the 3229 Swivel/tilt head. Picked it up and thought "yuck!!!". Longer then I though it would be, kind of cheap feeling, small diameter at the handle and the head was tricky to operate. Ended up with the 680B (much better feel to it and a little shorter folded up) with the 3265 Grip action ball head with quick release. Yeah so my wife just spent an extra $70 on my Xmas present but I'm worth it. Of course now I have to wait a week before I can try it out.

That was the first time I had been in B&H and let me tell you a week before Xmas it was a freaking zoo!!! Must make a mint there though.

www.how-wood.com
    A "Manfrotto", "cheap" feeling?
    Or was it that such a superb piece of work only cost $40 and you thought: "That can't be right, no way $40 is that (Manfrotto) good"?!
    I do not know the specs on the 680B, but my 679B MANFROTTO Monopod is rated to support 22 pounds, for which I have nothing even approaching that weight.
    Of course I am in B&H whenever I feel like going so my choices are usually made at a more leasurely, less hectic holiday pace.
    (I see you didn't try that fancy 3265 Grip action ball head with quick release on the 679B). No fair!
    And I do not know if the 680B has the dual thread, 1/4-3/8 camera mounting capability.
    My superb Manfrotto 479B Monopod certainly does.
    Last edited by Razr; 12-19-2006 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    A "Manfrotto", "cheap" feeling?
    Or was it that such a superb piece of work only cost $40 and you thought: "That can't be right, no way $40 is that (Manfrotto) good"?!
    I do not know the specs on the 680B, but my 679B MANFROTTO Monopod is rated to support 22 pounds, for which I have nothing even approaching that weight.
    Of course I am in B&H whenever I feel like going so my choices are usually made at a more leasurely, less hectic holiday pace.
    (I see you didn't try that fancy 3265 Grip action ball head with quick release on the 679B). No fair!
    And I do not know if the 680B has the dual thread, 1/4-3/8 camera mounting capability.
    My superb Manfrotto 479B Monopod certainly does.
    Well I had one in each hand and the 680 felt much better to ME! I think the diameter of the grip made the bigger difference to me and I liked that it was about 5 inches shorter when folded (has 4 sections instead of 3). And it was only $10 difference for something that felt more comfortable to me. Maybe "Cheap" was not the right word but the 680 felt more "substantial"

It also holds 22 pounds and does have the 1/4-3/8 capability but with the grip it doesn't really matter. Also got an extra quick release plate for my camcorder.

www.how-wood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary24 View Post
    Well I had one in each hand and the 680 felt much better to ME! (SNIP) Also got an extra quick release plate for my camcorder.

www.how-wood.com
    I like the length of 679B (adjusted) as a walking stick.
    Both serve well as heavy duty mugger deterrants on the streets of Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    Both serve well as heavy duty mugger deterrants on the streets of Brooklyn.
    LOL...I was looking at mine on the PATH train and the conductor was keeping a close eye on me in case I attacked him with it.

www.how-wood.com