Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Stylus 300/400 microswitch

The microswitch is mounted on the mainboard of the camera. The black actuating assembly slides across the microswitch and turns the camera on. There seems to be very few problems with the switch but a myriad of problems with the actuating assembly. The vent/actuating assembly is attached to the front case with silicone cement which does not bond to the plastic on the vent. In service, the constant pressure from the plungers and spring pushes
    the assembly through the silicone into the camera body.
    This causes the foot of the arm to hang on the micro switch body and break off the nib.
    I have four (4) Stylus 300 here, one of which has been sent to Olympus for repair. Repair consists of replacing the front case half. The replacement case half contains an upgraded vent/link assembly which has heavier flanges and
    a spring which extends over the case body. This replacement assembly SHOULD cure the recurrent failures.

Olympus refuses to sell the replacement parts and insists the camera be sent in for repair. Apparently the Japanese
    consider the Americans too stupid to affect this repair! It is getting to the point that I would consider Americans stupid to keep buying products from this company. Any good camera repair facility should be capable or repairing one of these cameras in a few minutes if parts were made
    available. These cameras can NOT be repaired without replacement parts! If an aftermarket supplier could be found to supply parts it would be a solution.

Stylus 300/400 defect

Since my last post, I have acquired several more of these cameras to study the failure modes.
    Three Stylus 410; one has a broken micro switch and will not turn on. Two have a failed flash and will only operate with the flash turned off.
    Seven Stylus 300; Three have the vent/link ass'y pushed in and have been repaired. One has the link nib broken off.
    Two have erratic view screens. One is non-operative because a shorted battery erased the memory.

Okay, without parts availability from Olympus is there any work-around for this microswitch. is there a good spot to mount an external slider switch and can the microswitch be removed without destroying the main board? I don't care if it's pretty, I just need to be able to turn it off and on.

cwxmas Guest

Thumbs down Olympus D-580 Zoom Lens Cover won't work

I am so disgusted with this Olympus camera. I've only used it a few times and have invested so much money in additional xD memory cards and accessories for it that can't be used with the next camera I buy since I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER OLYMPUS. As so many have detailed before me, the lens cover will not retract anymore. I have tried the trick of removing the AA batteries but the built-in battery never drains, even after several days; the clock date and time remain set correctly even after I left the batteries out. I'm not sure draining the built-in battery would fix the lens cover problem anyway, after reading the posts. I get the flashing red and green lights and the dozen beeps and the camera turning off whenever I try to close the lens cover which won't close. Only the playback button works, not the OK button. I can't take any pictures. I will let Olympus and everyone else I can think of know how many of us have had to junk this camera and buy another brand rather than paying Olympus to fix what they should have made properly to begin with. I'm mostly disappointed in Consumer Reports since I bought the Olympus based on their review.

Dobbo in Aus Guest

Unhappy Stylus 400

Please add my Olympus Stylus 400 to the list of faulty cameras. Great just purchased 2 new batteries to take on overseas hoildays next month and the camera does not switch on when the cover is retracted. Looking a solution I found this forum.

Annoyed or what the camera was from memory over A$700.00 when new and was chosen after many years on owning numerous SLR film camera which were of extremely high quality.

Here's hoping to a a prompt and favorable response from Olympus.

One year after my first post (see quoted), I decided to re-call de tech service to know about reparation costs. They lowered the price to just 60 , when a year ago it was over 100 .

I decided to say yes to the reparation, in order to have a usable camera instead of an old gadget resting on the shelf. But also, to test how long the camera will resist... I promise I will report!!

After my Stylus 300 was broken in August 2006, I bought an Olympus SP 510 UZ. It has been working fine since then, I'm glad I could use the xD's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dsierraji View Post
    Not surprisingly, I have the same problem with my mju-300 Olympus camera. The cover slider has a design problem that makes the lenses hide at a slight touch of the cover. When I tried to fix the screws that guide the slider, the lenses retracted and they never came out any more.

Reparation costs are, in my case, up to 40% of a new (and better) camera price. And I guess Olympus knows this, because new models do not include the sliding cover.

Anyway, fixing it on my own appears not to be complicated, since the reason for the lenses not to come out must be some sensor indicating the cover is not open, although it really is; but, before I try to do it, has anyone tried before?

Thanks!

Olympus Stylus 400 defect - anyone else?

That's really great to hear, dsierraji. I know the Stylus 300, 400 and 410 have their quirks but a simple phone call to Olympus tech support obviously got you back on track again. As I mentioned before, Olympus is a good company. I don't understand why anyone else can't just pick up the phone and work with their people on this. All these enraged posts are getting ridiculous.

Eric

rmw Guest

I experience the same problem.

I experience the same problem with my Olympus Stylus 400 and another friend did as well. Initially the camera would power down when trying to take a photograph. The camera was used very little before it stopped working all together. I received the camera as a gift and Olympus stated the camera wouldn't be repaired under warranty and the cost of repair would be some amount in excess of a minimum $100 fee, which they would tell me after I sent in the camera.

They acted like there was no problem with similar cameras and no recall would be made. I have repeatedly seen this same problem for olympus cameras with sliding on. As the original poster, I can still review my photos taken but the camera won't engage on to take photos.

meshell5579 Guest

Thumbs down I have a 410

I'm on hold right now..grrrr The previous person who I had spoken with told me that I would have to send in the camera and be charged $100. BUT if I want I could by a repair kit for $25. The kit included 2 screws and a new slider. I told her that I don't believe it's the slider itself, but maybe something under it. She then transfered meto someone in Tech support. The tech support person ot nasty with me b/c I did not want to give her my lastname. She then cut me off when I was in teh middle of telling her my problem and told me that I would HAVE to send it in for repair and that was that. She was very rude. (I just hung up)

Arround 3 years ago 5 people in my famliy (including myself bought this camera. 3 out of the 5 have this problem. Sooo Shady!

fronc Guest

Details

Hey I was wondering, since I have a camera with the same problems, do you have a detailed description of how to access these vent/link assemblies? I was hoping mine could just be pushed back in, but don't want to waste time disassembling if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by R. D. Bryan View Post
    Since my last post, I have acquired several more of these cameras to study the failure modes.
    Three Stylus 410; one has a broken micro switch and will not turn on. Two have a failed flash and will only operate with the flash turned off.
    Seven Stylus 300; Three have the vent/link ass'y pushed in and have been repaired. One has the link nib broken off.
    Two have erratic view screens. One is non-operative because a shorted battery erased the memory.