Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Angry Defects with Olympus Stylus 400

You all need to bombard Olympus with letters, emails and phone calls to their 800 number. I wrote a letter, sent it to VP in Charge of Sales, VP in Charge of Customer Relations and to Customer Service. After a month I got a call from Customer Service with the same broken record reply: "Send your camera in and for $119.00 we will look at it and let you know the charges to repair it" After I challenged her on the fact this was a manufacturing defect ( I have cut and pasted all the negatives I could find on the Stylus 400 to Customer Service and have told them the 400s are being offered on EBay for $5.) she had the nerve to say I had probably broken it by trying to get it to work. I explained that I had seen where others had held down the door on the front and could take pictures so I tried it. She said I broke the camera at that point. This is an insult to all of us to have a camera we bought in good faith and now we can't use it. Get those cards and calls going!!!!!!!

Talking Wrong diagnosis.

Apparently, my camera wasn't charging properly ... it FLASHED red instead of a solid green light when charging.

atrickpay Guest
    Looking for help on how the switch on the inside works.
    I've opened the camera but couldn't see what the "arm"
    from the slide door was suppost to contact with.

Can anyone give me a lead?

Olympus Stylus 400 defect - anyone else?

Hey All -

The best thing to do would be to contact Olympus. Walk up the ladder and ask for management. They'll work it out. I did it and got the results.

"Squeaky wheels gets the oil!"

Olympus is really a good company. They're fair.

Eric

zeppe Guest

Angry other stlyus 300 lens cover broke

Just like all that have posted I to have a stylus 300 with a lens cover that closes as soon as it opens. I called tech support and the said they had never heard of this issue. Which leads me to belive that they are not recognizing it as a problem, or the are told not to say anything. Emails to complain only if they hit the right desks. So, the internal email domain for Olympus is first name period "." last name @olympus.com. Mark Gumz is the president (American division), Lawrence Wang is the CEO, and Tsuyoshi Kikukawa is the president of the entire corporation. If we hit these indivisuals with a mass amount of emails, we may make a dent.
    P.S. I did ask about the trade up program they have, we can trade up for a stylus 710 (normally $299), and with trade in it would be $269 (woot $30). So, its good to know that Olympus cameras do not hold value for anything. Just in case you were wondering....

mark.gumz@olympus.com
    Tsuyoshi.Kikukawa@olympus.com
    Lawrence.Wang@olympus.com
    Last edited by zeppe; 09-25-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Re: On/Off lever mechanism Stylus 400

I had the same problem where the lever that operates the switch that controls the on-off mechanism. I thought about soldering, but was unsure how this would effect the on-off mechanism.

Would you mind telling me exactly what did you solder to enable some on-off functionality? i have the camera open already, and thanks to your warning, I'll be careful to avoid the capacitor holding the charge for the flash (though the camera has been off for some time now).

-John

Quote Originally Posted by betracq View Post
    I read with interest the posts on this topic. There is absolutely no doubt that there is a defect with the on/off mechanism operated by the sliding cover. Occasionally this can be fixed by adjustments to the cover, but more usually the problem lies with a tiny switch inside the camera. I have now seen many of these where the (minute) operating lever for this switch has broken, and of course no amount of adjustment of the cover will fix that. It is necessary to dismantle the camera, and in a few cases I have managed to lash up a temporary fix with a bit of copper strip soldered to the circuit board. If you open up the camera be very careful to avoid touching the contacts of the capacitor which drives the flash unit; it holds its charge well, at around 300 volts, for several days and can give you quite a shock. I speak from personal experience!

I feel sure Olympus are very well aware of this problem; I have never contacted them since I feel it would be pointless, although if anyone out there can be bothered the threat of a law suit might wake them up. If you look on E-bay you'll see no end of these cameras with a similar fault.

The black lever operates a switch on the circuit board just above the red LED. It is at the lower-middle of the circuit board, approximately one centimeter into the camera above the location where the camera mounts to a tripod.

Any luck on finding a replacement lever would be much appreciated...

-John

Quote Originally Posted by atrickpay View Post
    Looking for help on how the switch on the inside works.
    I've opened the camera but couldn't see what the "arm"
    from the slide door was suppost to contact with.

Can anyone give me a lead?

Madsen Guest
    I had the door of a Stylus 300 pop off, and now it doesn't turn on at all. I tried snapping the door back on and it didn't do any good.
    Earlier in the thread I saw the tip about keeping the black lever in the "up" position and taking the battery out and in but that didn't work in my case.

When opening up the whole case was suggested, that seemed to be for the problem of the door being attached and just not working, as opposed to the door being off in the first place. Perhaps when the door popped off the switch was damaged?

I have made it a project to identify the cause of this too often occuring problem.
    The black knob in the center of the front of the camera is connected to an "L" lever that operates a micro switch on the main board. There is a pin sticking up on the perimeter
    of the knob that rides in a slot in the cover. The assembly the knob is mounted in sometimes warps so the foot of the "L" lever hangs up on the micro switch and causes the operating pin to break off. The plastic assembly can NOT be repaired but must be replaced! The plastic assembly is not a switch but a connecting link between the cover and the micro switch. It is necessary to open the camera case to properly access this assembly. If Olympus would make this assembly available, any good camera repairman could replace it in less than one hour. The cost of having Olympus to replace a $5.00 part is only about $150. This "in my opinion" is unacceptable! Hundreds of the Stylus 300 and 400 series are inoperable because of the failure of this part. I would say this is a serious factory defect!! I have observed that the operating lever assembly
    can be improperly mounted, causing the housing to warp and put the 'L' lever at an angle to the face of the micro switch, which causes it to hang up and break the pin. This may be the cause of failure on the majority of cameras.
    Update: I have discovered the plastic operating assembly is glued into the front body of the camera. On the camera I am working on, the glue had begun to set before the assembly was installed and the assembly was not attached to the body. It is not necessary to dismantle the camera other than the sliding cover, this gives access to the assembly. The assembly can be replaced by removing it from the body and lifting it out. A new assembly could be installed by coating the edge with the proper cement and slipping it into place and securing it until the glue sets.
    Farther Update: I have aquired a later model Stylus 300 to examine.
    The plastic link assembly on this one has locating flanges on all four sides and the spring now supports the assembly. On this one the link operates perfectly and should give no problems. IMHO, Olympus should
    be compelled to recall all of the cameras with the earlier assembly and update to the later one! This would appear to be the only method by which this problem can be rectified.
    Last edited by R. D. Bryan; 04-07-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Update

Keep the updates coming. Add my Stylus 300 to the list of flawed cameras with the sliding cover problems. I took my cover off and removed the mechanism with the little black actuating arm, but cannot see any microswitch inside.

Can you describe it a little better for me? There are no loose, i.e. broken off, parts inside the camera and I don't see where the arm on the back side of the mechanism contacts anything inside.

I'll drill a hole and mount a switch on the camera if I have to, but I'm afraid to start disassembling without a good diagram to work off of.