Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Olympus Stylus 400 defect - anyone else?

I am writing to see if I get any other posts about a defect that my Stylus 400 had.
    My camera began to experience a problem with what I thought was the shutter/lens cover. When I would slide open the cover to take a picture, 80% of the time the lens would retract and the camera would power down. Eventually, my camera quit working altogether.
    The repair bill was $169 and I was furious b/c I pd. $400 for the thing and only used it a yr. and a half! I decided to see what used ones were selling for on eBay and the third item I viewed - the seller was selling her Stylus 400 b/c she was having the same problem. Then, while reading posts on this site, another guy is having what sounds like this problem.
    This leads me to believe this camera series has a defect that I feel needs to be recalled and made right. It could be the reason Olympus came out with a 410 series. I thought this interesting when no other Stylus has a _10 series(?).
    Please respond to let me know. I want Olympus to be aware of their error.
    One more thing, I bought Olympus b/c of their name, but now I realize that they don't even make the top 10 when I read reviews online about digital camera. Very disappointing. I will buy a Canon - they've treated me well in the past.

JimC Guest

Same Problem

I found your post when doing a Google search for cover problems. I have the same problem with the cover/switch on my Stylus 400. I agree this is a systemic problem which should be fixed free by Olympus. Others ?

Quote Originally Posted by abassitt
    I want Olympus to be aware of their error.
    One more thing, I bought Olympus b/c of their name, but now I realize that they don't even make the top 10 when I read reviews online about digital camera. Very disappointing. I will buy a Canon - they've treated me well in the past.
    Oly makes good products, just as do Nikon, Canon and the others. And all manufacturers have their share of lemons. If you think playing musical chairs with brands will solve your problem, good luck. You might do a search for Canon + E18 error, as found in THIS THREAD

I agree that Olympus should be made aware of the issue if it's worthy of recall, and if you can find enough other people with the same problem, you might even start a letter-writing campaign or make a complaint with the competent authorities (FTC? BBB?, not sure, depends on where you live, I guess). Problem is, there are too many new models coming out onto the market with too little prep time--from all manufacturers, so there are bound to be some issues.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Olympus lens cover problem

Not surprisingly, I have the same problem with my mju-300 Olympus camera. The cover slider has a design problem that makes the lenses hide at a slight touch of the cover. When I tried to fix the screws that guide the slider, the lenses retracted and they never came out any more.

Reparation costs are, in my case, up to 40% of a new (and better) camera price. And I guess Olympus knows this, because new models do not include the sliding cover.

Anyway, fixing it on my own appears not to be complicated, since the reason for the lenses not to come out must be some sensor indicating the cover is not open, although it really is; but, before I try to do it, has anyone tried before?

Thanks!

olejk Guest

olympus stylus 400 lens cover problem

I am writing to see if I get any other posts about a defect that my Stylus 400 had.
    My camera began to experience a problem with what I thought was the shutter/lens cover. When I would slide open the cover to take a picture, 80% of the time the lens would retract and the camera would power down. Eventually, my camera quit working altogether.
    The repair bill was $169 and I was furious b/c I pd. $400 for the thing and only used it a yr. and a half! I decided to see what used ones were selling for on eBay and the third item I viewed - the seller was selling her Stylus 400 b/c she was having the same problem. Then, while reading posts on this site, another guy is having what sounds like this problem.
    This leads me to believe this camera series has a defect that I feel needs to be recalled and made right. It could be the reason Olympus came out with a 410 series. I thought this interesting when no other Stylus has a _10 series(?).
    I have had the exact same problem with my stylus 400. The camera has had very, very little use and the lens will not extend. I was told by Olympus it would cost about $250.00 to fix. I now have a $550.00 piece of junk. What a sham on the part of Olympus. They are now in the process of destroying their brand image by refusing to help any of us that have been defrauded in my opinion.

My Olympus 400 started doing this about a month ago. I recently had a chance to remove the lens cover and found that there's a rotary switch that's operated by the cover. When I operate the switch by hand with the cover off, things seem to be fine. However, when I replace the cover the problem returns.

It definately seems like a design flaw and should be fixed by Olympus. Especially if it's just a simple replacement cover.

Additionally, the focus on this camera is a bit odd. Occasionally, it takes pictures slightly out of focus, or gets confused about what it should be focusing on. It's been like this since day 1.

I've owned many film and digital camera over the years. By far, I've been most disappointed with this Olympus.

I just found this on Olympus's web site, a new lens cover kit can be purchased for $21.39

david_caudwell Guest

Olympus u300 Lens Cover

Hi All,

I've had the same experience with my mju-300 Olympus camera. Once the lens cover is retracted, the camera turns on, then off, then on, etc. It is erratic and makes the camera unusable. I bought the thing in March 2005, took it back to the authorised dealer 2 weeks outside warranty, and they say Olympus has refused to correct the problem. I have now written to the parent company in Japan, and I'm awaiting thier reply. I figure if they don't fix it, I can influence the sale of about 10 - 15 cameras over the next 10 years amongst friends and family, and I won't be reccomending Olympus. On the other hand, if they agree to fix it, I'm likely to "sing thier praises". We'll see what happens!
    Last edited by david_caudwell; 04-01-2006 at 03:45 AM.

Olympus Sliding Lens Covers

I have old Olympus C50= zoom. which has the usual slide lens cover.
    After much use the lower guide rail became so worn that the locating pin ( a very small screw) on the cover would pop out and then shut off the camera.

It may be that this system is used on various cameras of Olympus.

However, all is not lost and it is not rocket science to repair it. I used a very thin sliver of aluminum (from a beer can) cemented in the guide rail with super glue.The idea is to repair the groove in which make the sliding pin move correctly again.

I do not know if your problem is similar but its worth a try, and my repair has lasted for over 1 year without problem.

Hope this may help.

shanelf Guest

Thumbs down Olympus 400

I am experiencing the same problem with my camera. When the lens cover is retracted, the lens doesn't come out and the camera is just blank. I had the camera for awhile, however, I used it only a few times. I think that there is truly a defect with this product and that there should be a recall. If anyone has any info, please post it. Meanwhile, I will research and post what I find. This camera is a piece of crap!!!