Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PowerShot S3 IS

Quote Originally Posted by St. Chris
    Thanks for the BeBit link!

[Addendum: Still going through the BeBit site. One of the pages refers to the AE Lock button, which doesn't exist anymore...I wonder how much of the text is copied from the S2.]
    When the shutter is pressed down halfway, the ISO button becomes the AE lock button.
    -Dave
    Canon 40D | Canon XTi | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Looks worthwhile for me as my first digital camera. True. The improvements over the S2 aren't jaw-dropping but welcomed.

I would have like to have seen RAW support. As for ISO 800 support...that's part of the initial specs. Don't see why it wouldn't be ISO 800.

What I was surprised to see on the recent list of new models was no G7. To replace the G6. Has Canon really killed off the G-series?? Or, will Canon still announce other models prior to the PMA show? I know the G-series has done very well for Canon. Can't see why they would suddenly decide to kill it off. If they have...I'll most likely consider the S3 IS or the SD700 IS. Or possibly the SD630 (3" LCD!!).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDTSHD
    Looks worthwhile for me as my first digital camera.
    I completely agree. If I was shopping for my first digicam, the S3 would be on the short list (but further from the top of the list than the S2 was when it first came out).
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDTSHD
    As for ISO 800 support...that's part of the initial specs. Don't see why it wouldn't be ISO 800.
    I think what some of us were saying WRT the ISO 800 claim is that having it and being able to use it are two very different things. A lot of cameras have ISO 400 (like my S2 IS for example), but it's so noisy that it's effectively useless (generally speaking of course).

"... but ours go to 11." - Spinal Tap
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by cvicisso
    I completely agree. If I was shopping for my first digicam, the S3 would be on the short list (but further from the top of the list than the S2 was when it first came out). I think what some of us were saying WRT the ISO 800 claim is that having it and being able to use it are two very different things. A lot of cameras have ISO 400 (like my S2 IS for example), but it's so noisy that it's effectively useless (generally speaking of course).

"... but ours go to 11." - Spinal Tap
    I see. Thanks for clearing it up about the IS0 800 thing. Any how, assuming there really won't be a G7, I guess I'll go with the S3 IS. So far no word on the G7. Unless Canon is planning to spring it on us at the last minute...which I doubt. As I said. I find it VERY strange that Canon would kill off a sucessful line like the G-series.

PowerShot S3 IS

I'm thinking of upgrading for the sports mode..low light improvement.. what would be a good price to sell the S2 IS?

My main concern is that I'm going to Disney World at the end of the year. I want to be able to shoot indoors, even (perhaps hoping against hope) on the dark rides. If the S3 offers a significant improvement in light sensitivity, it'll make a significant improvement in my pictures there. For that reason, I'm considering the upgrade; otherwise, yeah, I'd wait for the S4.

well it was inevitable.

I heard about this about a month ago when a bunch of us on another forum jumped on a crazy price for the S2

i got in on that deal
    i absolutely love this camera. it does everything I need, so i'm not sweating the s3.

I was actually hoping that the S3 would have better specs than it does. The S3 is to the S2 as the D30 to the D20. Incremental changes, but nothing really groundbreaking. I hope the S3 has a new sensor as people are reporting.

9 point aiaf

hello,

i am no expert, but almost near the bottom of this review, i see 9 point aiaf http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

whether it's true or not, i don't know. i am researching my first real digital camera, but think this is what you are referring to.

indera

The press release doesn't say anything about whether the S3 will use 9-point AiAF or manual focus-point selection. I'd really prefer AiAF in Auto mode for quick shooting with multiple subjects (candid portraits, mainly). Would it be too much to ask for both?

I am glad to see Sports Mode come back. Beats me why they killed it before.

Tonio Guest

S3...no raw mode...does it matter?

What's the consensus these days about raw mode?
    I used to shoot a lot with it on my G2, but didn't really see great advantages...at least worth the effort in processing several hundred shots after a session.
    Anyway, thinking it's time to upgrade the G2 and the S3 looks like a possible good move for that.

S2.1

Seems to me that the specs on this camera indicate Canon is going to have to release the S4 in fall (if they want to stay competitive). Sony's new H5 has 7 megapixels at the same price, and who knows what kind of new Panasonic ultrazooms may be around by then.

The black coloring is very cool though... obviously intended to try and satisfy those who were waiting for the Pro2.