Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerShot S3 IS

PowerShot S3 IS

So the word is out.

If the S3's light sensitivity is truly better, I'll seriously consider selling my S2 (if anyone will buy them once the S3 is out) and getting an S3. My one lasting complaint about the S2 is the low-light focusing -- which is to say, can I have some, please? If the S3 gets focusing performance anywhere near, say, the Panazonic DMC-FZ5, I'm utterly sold.

The press release doesn't say anything about whether the S3 will use 9-point AiAF or manual focus-point selection. I'd really prefer AiAF in Auto mode for quick shooting with multiple subjects (candid portraits, mainly). Would it be too much to ask for both?

I am glad to see Sports Mode come back. Beats me why they killed it before.
    Last edited by St. Chris; 02-21-2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Keep thinking of more stuff

Post Tech specs

From Canon's S3 specifications page:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=13077

It looks like it's still got only spot AF, not 9-point AiAF. Ah, well.

Thanks for the link. First I'd heard of it.

Doesn't look like a huge improvement over the S2 spec-wise, but maybe the new sensor will improve image quality. It's hard to judge by the three sample shots (plus I'm at work with a different computer/monitor than I usually use), but noise levels look to be similar (maybe less in shaded areas), purple fringing is still present (but it looks reduced at F3.5), and the images look perhaps sharper (especially the clock tower). ISO 100 doesn't look very bad either, but I only use ISO 50 on my S2 so I can't really compare them.

Looking forward to some others' thoughts.

Side by side.... I prefer the silver S2 personally!!

But I agree on the the sports mode, why it was taken away is mind numbing!

As for low light shooting... yes, without flash it's a little slow on focus, but I've had worse! But with the flash... no complaints here!

I rang Canon UK last week and asked if there were any cameras in the new range that would boost ISO to 800. "No" was the reply... well you got it wrong mister, cos the S3's got it!!

Love the "slightly" bigger screen too..

Now all Canon have to do is keep their promise on the noise issue.... and then I might buy one!!!
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

I don't see enough improvements to make it worth my while to upgrade. I was hoping for ISO 1600. I also thought they might go for a 15x zoom. I was also hoping for a hotshoe. I am glad they re-added sports mode, I use it on the A510 fairly often when I need to get a daylight shot quickly and don't want to mess with manual settings. I am just not getting excited about this one. I like the black color, It makes it look more like an SLR. I expect if I were to upgrade unfortunately it would not be for this camera, but I will be keeping my camera for a couple more years so maybe by then I will be looking at the S4 or S5 by then.
    Last edited by Severin; 02-21-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    Canon S2 IS, Canon A510

My main concern is that I'm going to Disney World at the end of the year. I want to be able to shoot indoors, even (perhaps hoping against hope) on the dark rides. If the S3 offers a significant improvement in light sensitivity, it'll make a significant improvement in my pictures there. For that reason, I'm considering the upgrade; otherwise, yeah, I'd wait for the S4.

So what?

Severin - I'm with you: I must say that I am completely underwhelmed by the specs of the S3. It's more like an S2 version 2 or something. Ok, they squeezed out another megapixel of resolution... albeit out of the exact same CCD. Same 1GB movie file size limit. Same exact zoom lens (yawn). Another whopping 0.2" of LCD (gee - thanks Canon). As for the ISO 800 - I'll believe that when I see it. The black body looks cool (very Lumix-esque...), but where is the hot shoe?? Where's the manual focus ring?? Where's the wide-screen movie mode?? (All Lumix features, BTW). Where's the UPGRADE???!! This is not a new model (IMHO). This is a slightly better, slightly cooler-looking (I really like the black body) S2 IS.

If I had an S1 - I would take the plunge and get the new camera (or maybe try to get a good deal on an S2 once the S3s flood the market), but I see no reason to trade in an S2 (for a loss) on this thing. Are you guys seriously considering trading your S2's for this?? I honestly don't think this thing will see the huge swell of interest that the S2 enjoyed when it was announced. But it'll still drive the price of used S2's down. Great... guess I waited too long to ebay my S2!
    Last edited by cvicisso; 02-22-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    Nikon D70 | 18-70 | 50/1.8 | 70-210
    Pentax Optio W20
    Film
    Nikon F100: 5 fps, weather-sealed, full frame 'sensor' and VR & AF-S compatibility

Here is the bebit site for the S3IS

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss3is/index-e.html

Looks like it has a live histogram now...
    -Dave
    Canon 40D | Canon XTi | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Smile

Thanks for the BeBit link!

I didn't notice this at first, but Canon changed the second function button to ISO speed instead of metering mode. You can set the S3's Shortcut button for metering mode.

And yes, it does look like there's a live histogram now! And HEY, you can impose 3x3 gridlines, too! You can pick and choose those (along with the usual info around the edge) to customize two views for the LCD and two views for the EVF. Well, that's rather nice.

Widescreen video is a curious omission, yes. For that matter, could we maybe, gee, have DV-resolution video?

Even more crucial for me: Would it kill them to let you SET a custom white balance from the shortcut button?

[Addendum: Still going through the BeBit site. One of the pages refers to the AE Lock button, which doesn't exist anymore...I wonder how much of the text is copied from the S2.]
    Last edited by St. Chris; 02-22-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Questionable Upgrade?

Aside from the black exterior which admittedly looks good I find it difficult to get excited about the S3.There are a number of tweaks but ultimately will they result in a noticeable improvement in image quality or camera usability?I suspect not.Having been a long time S1 user and relatively recent S2 user I think I'll wait for the S4.Perhaps I should be looking at giving my S2 a respray........

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6