Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does the A530 have full manual controls?

On the News page of this site, for the A530 announcement on Feb 21, it says the A530 only has "Some manual controls (manual exposure, custom white balance, manual focus)"
    http://www.dcresource.com/news/index...e=2006-02&cat=

On the the Reviews and Info part of this site, if you click on the A530, it says it has full "Manual controls: Exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, focus"
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=851

Which is correct? Does it have aperture and shutter speed manual controls?

A530 has Shutter speed priority/Aperture priority controls only. It doesn't have full Manual mode that you can select combinations of shutter & aparture of your own choice.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

So both links on this site are wrong? What is your source for this info? Dpreview says the A530 has white balance manual control.
    Last edited by bascom; 03-14-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Dpreview is somehow confusing to me. For instance, my own FZ20 has S, A and M controls, but REVIEWS & INFO only states Shutter & Aparture. In fact, full-control mode M is hardly mentioned.
    Here is my source of info:
    A530:
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...530_specs.html
    A540:
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...540_specs.html
    Under "Selectable Shooting Modes:"
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    A530 has Shutter speed priority/Aperture priority controls only. It doesn't have full Manual mode that you can select combinations of shutter & aparture of your own choice.
    What Tim says is correct. I don't think the camera database listing says "full manual controls" anywhere.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/psa530/201-e.html#mode-m
    you can voth select shutter speed and aparture
    "When you press the shutter button halfway, a number indicating the difference between the standard exposure* and the selected exposure appears on the LCD monitor" (with only setting one this would be impossible since it would try to set the standard exposure)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
    What Tim says is correct. I don't think the camera database listing says "full manual controls" anywhere.
    I'm confused. In my original post, I gave the two links and there is a difference between what they say. The Reviews and Info link says the A530 has "shutter speed, aperture" control, but the News page says it doesn't. I used the word "full manual controls" to describe what I saw on the Reviews and Info link, but you are right, it doesn't used the words "full manual control" in the database listing.

Tim says you can't select combinations of shutter & aparture of your own choice, but Stema seems to be saying you can, so I'm confused about that, too. Forgive my ignorance but I'm a newbie.

Stema is (partly) correct. A530 has M mode. When selecting this M mode you can choose Aparture or Shutter priority. If choosing Aparture priority, the camera will choose whatever shutter speed it thinks will give a perfect exposure. The reverse applies if you choose Shutter priority.
    What I understand by 'full manual control mode' is human's ability to select a combination of shutter/aparture for a shot; for instance, when you purposefully want an under or over exposed shot or when you want DOF at your own selected shutter speed. This is what A530 doesn't have.
    Check out the link and see the difference in Shooting Mode dials on A530 (refer to stema's link above) and A540:
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/psa540/201-e.html

Manual modes on A540: Aperture-priority AE, Shutter-speed priority AE, Manual Exposure.
    Manual modes on A530: Manual Exposure (and from here you can use either Aparture or Shutter-priority AE).

I hope this will clear up the matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tim11; 03-16-2006 at 04:09 AM.
    Nikon D90, D80

Yes it does. Thanks for the great diagrams and explanation.

Going back to my original post, I still find the two links of this site a bit contradictory. One says it has:
    manual exposure, custom white balance, manual focus,

the other says it has:
    Exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, focus.