Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Farewell to the Pro1 and G6

The PowerShot Pro1 and G6 will be officially discontinued next week. They will not be replaced at PMA.

Other cameras getting the ax include the SD400/SD500 and the A510/A520. No comment about possible replacements for those.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Thanks for putting this rumor/huge seed of speculation to rest. Let's hope that the discontinuation of the venerable G series is for the best and will be replaced in time by a budget DSLR.

It is probably for the best. They were all good cameras but time and technology moves on. I love my A510 but it is a bit out of date.
    Canon S2 IS, Canon A510

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
    The PowerShot Pro1 and G6 will be officially discontinued next week. They will not be replaced at PMA.

Other cameras getting the ax include the SD400/SD500 and the A510/A520. No comment about possible replacements for those.

Thanks for the info. Once again you beat the competition with news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Thanks for putting this rumor/huge seed of speculation to rest. Let's hope that the discontinuation of the venerable G series is for the best and will be replaced in time by a budget DSLR.
    Hmm I thought the XT is a budget dSLR....
    Ouch.

the discontinuation of a product name doesnt mean anything.

they might release an EVF style camera like SonyR1 protocol but with interchangeable lens.

BTW who said the target market of a Pro1 G series camera would be interested in a mirror slapping DSLR with bring it to the eyelevel viewfinder???

and why is there always comparason to "budget" DSLR! like we could not afford one before???

well im keeping my G3 till something better comes along.. an E330 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    Hmm I thought the XT is a budget dSLR....
    A sub $500 DSLR would be a true budget DSLR, and Canon could be the first to do it.

Cool Fact or Rumor - Canon are you listening?

Jeff, no oofense - is this a fact from a good source or just a rumor you heard?

I have been waiting a few months for PMA - If Canon does not announce a Pro 2 then lots of us will go to Sony for the R1 or maybe a D50.

I know companies get a lot of bad press for announcing products too much in advance, but it would be good to know if Canon's way for a serious photography enthusiast is DSLR only.

I owned an S2 for about 6 months - great camera but the sharpness isn't there and anything beyond ISO 200 is useless. a $200 A520 takes better quality pictures.

I don't want to go to a DSLR because I don't want to spend a fortune on lenses and carry a big bag when I travel plus the lime lost (sometimes opportunities missed) when changing lenses - plus the risk of getting dust in the sensor. I used a Nikon N70 with 4 lenses for many years before going full digital.

Hey Canon - if you are listening, there is a (big) market for the Pro 2 - just read the forums here and at dpreview! you are not going to let Sony kick your legandary-Canon-photography-butt with the R1, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by GMan
    Jeff, no oofense - is this a fact from a good source or just a rumor you heard?

I have been waiting a few months for PMA - If Canon does not announce a Pro 2 then lots of us will go to Sony for the R1 or maybe a D50.

I know companies get a lot of bad press for announcing products too much in advance, but it would be good to know if Canon's way for a serious photography enthusiast is DSLR only.

I owned an S2 for about 6 months - great camera but the sharpness isn't there and anything beyond ISO 200 is useless. a $200 A520 takes better quality pictures.

I don't want to go to a DSLR because I don't want to spend a fortune on lenses and carry a big bag when I travel plus the lime lost (sometimes opportunities missed) when changing lenses - plus the risk of getting dust in the sensor. I used a Nikon N70 with 4 lenses for many years before going full digital.

Hey Canon - if you are listening, there is a (big) market for the Pro 2 - just read the forums here and at dpreview! you are not going to let Sony kick your legandary-Canon-photography-butt with the R1, are you?
    Jeff would not say something that came from forums or some flabby rumor. This case straight from the horses's mouth, and if you paid attention to the announcements, it's clear that the G series and Pro series are now defunct.

The high end all in one market is dwindling no matter how you see it. Just because a few people want to buy a product doesn't mean that it's profitable. The R1's great, but it was probably a loss on Sony's part to introduce it, produce it, and market it. I like innovation too, but a) This is not innovation we're talking about and b) You can't reverse a trend that's been going on for the past 2 years. I've watched this market crumble before my very eyes. Sony is the last company to even introduce a model in this segment. Nikon backed out. KM died. Olympus backed out. And now Canon has backed out. DSLR's and the cheaper all in ones have taken over, and it'll continue to move in that direction. If you really want to insist that this market still exists, it has been replaced entirely by the Ultrazooms which sport much of the same functionality at less than half the price.

Now, if you're looking for a a G6 replacement, look no further than the A620 or the A700 which are very suitable successors to the G6.

If you're looking for a Pro1 replacement, the S3 IS is pretty much what you're looking for.

Why D50? Is there something bad about the Rebel XT? Canon's doing fine as far as I know...