Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

D70 Nikon Capture

I own a Nikon D70 and now I have an idea of how to use it I am delighted with it. I am now exploring RAW, TIFF and JPEG and have not yet decided which format I am going to concentrate on. I have PhotoShop Elements 2 and ACDSee 7 which can handle RAW file editing quite well. ACDSee allows me ajust RAW for Levels, Curves, Color Blance and Hue/Satruation. Should I buy Nikon Capture as well or perhaps take the plunge and buy PhotoShop CS for Christmas? I expect to print my best pictures 13 x 19 with a Canon i9900.

Charles C. Weston

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. Weston
    I own a Nikon D70 and now I have an idea of how to use it I am delighted with it. I am now exploring RAW, TIFF and JPEG and have not yet decided which format I am going to concentrate on. I have PhotoShop Elements 2 and ACDSee 7 which can handle RAW file editing quite well. ACDSee allows me ajust RAW for Levels, Curves, Color Blance and Hue/Satruation. Should I buy Nikon Capture as well or perhaps take the plunge and buy PhotoShop CS for Christmas? I expect to print my best pictures 13 x 19 with a Canon i9900.

Charles C. Weston
    After using RAW (NEF) for a while it's usefulness, in my day-to-day shooting, is debatable considering the memory efficiency factor and post processing required.

Shooting in Fine JPEG nets photos that are just as printable (with no observable difference) in large format, and using PS-CS (or any of the PS versions after 5.0) allows very fine manipulation of JPEG images comparable to anything achievable with RAW images.

I'm sure there is a purist out there somewhere that can site the advantages of shooting in RAW, but so far I haven't found any. Photoshop seems to negate the reasons for using RAW in the first place.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/