Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Tamron Lense

Going to be taking pictures this year at a race track with D70s and was wondering if any one had experience with Tamron AF70-300

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70300_di_a017.asp
    Brian

Check out the Sigma 70-300 APO lens. It seems to have a better reputation than the Tamron.

After reading what others have said is this lense (T/S) good at night?

70% of my pictures will be at night
    Brian

Right, a race track at night. With a D70s. And no experience. Good luck getting any decent photos. And no, a 70-300 lens of that ilk will hardly do. And it is lens, not lense. Bring a good flash too.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Right, a race track at night. With a D70s. And no experience. Good luck getting any decent photos. And no, a 70-300 lens of that ilk will hardly do. And it is lens, not lense. Bring a good flash too.
    Wow you don't have to be so negative dude. Sure getting a good photo at night with a consumer lens is hard but it can be done. And quit bashing the D70s in the Nikon forums. Question: why are you even in the Nikon forums if you aren't going to give helpful advice?

Brian, if you are able to purchase (or already have) a tripod/monopod that would really help your night shots with a slower lens because of the slow shutter speeds you'll be getting at night. Fences, trees and cars also make great stabilizers. You really just have to try it out for yourself and see what you get. If it really sucks then try something else next time, its not like it cost you anything. Such is the beauty of digital

I'm sorry if coldrain is giving you a bad idea of what the people here at dcresource are like, most of us are willing to help in a nice way

Andrew
    Last edited by sherlock; 02-18-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    Wow you don't have to be so negative dude. Sure getting a good photo at night with a consumer lens is hard but it can be done. And quit bashing the D70s in the Nikon forums. Question: why are you even in the Nikon forums if you aren't going to give helpful advice?
    I wonder where I was "bashing the D70s". Oh well. And, you probably did not read his post, he is talking about:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Simonseth
    Going to be taking pictures this year at a race track with D70s....
    ... 70% of my pictures will be at night
    I am saying he will have a hard time doing night time racing photos with a D70s + 70-300 cheapo lens. And that he will need a good flash unit. You call that bashing the D70s, I call that realistic advice.

And just because I have a Canon does not mean I can not have a valid opinion, and also the forums really are not just for fanboy blahblah
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I wonder where I was "bashing the D70s".
    Your post just sounded very negative, like he couldn't get any good results at night if he was using the D70s. You could've said exactly what you said in the next quote -->

I am saying he will have a hard time doing night time racing photos with a D70s + 70-300 cheapo lens. And that he will need a good flash unit.
    ...now if you had just said that then it would've sounded like you were trying to give advice, not scoffing at the idea of getting good results with the D70s.

And just because I have a Canon does not mean I can not have a valid opinion.
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but why be so negative about it? If we have the knowlege to help people then we should be willing to, not being so damn negative.

Oh yea, just because I have a Nikon doesn't make me a fanboy either.

I did not call you a fanboy, and my 1st post was clear enough. And I happen to own a Nikon SLR as well. Glad we got this sorted out

HMMMM no experience; two years of three tracks per week

I guess your right about the NO EXPERIENCE

Just changed camera's looking for help and get blasted

I guess some people just won't help others out

Thanks, Oldrain

Mini Sprint

Thanks sherlock
    Last edited by Brian Simonseth; 02-18-2006 at 11:15 PM.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Simonseth
    I guess some people just won't help others out
    At least someone agrees with me...