Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a dilema....i guess

i have been reading "the D70s is too slow, shutter lag, only 3FPS, bad AF system, weak AF motor, etc etc for sports photography"

1. is there a link that compares AF time/power? and other relavent data of comparable cameras?

i didnt want to spend this much money, but after fiddling with the 180 f2.8, i need something.....

and alittle sooner than i expected, but our new friends (our wedding photogs we hired) liked the photos i took and want to "hire" me for hockey tourneys/ basketball, and if interested do weddings next yr (weddings intimidate me alone, but with knowledgable people i shall be comfortable)they also like the fact i can dabble in photoshop (they set up on site and print action shots immediately) so i could do that too (translastion, if i take shitty pics!!! lol)
    so i want the 70-200 VR.....i can justify if i make i bit of money, then its not just a $2000 hobby lens right!?!?!?

BUT NOW THE WIFE IS MAD, she says i am stealing her thunder, she WANTED to get into photography....(she has $25bucks saved up...lol)

so i could get retarded and get another body, but wonder if I could benefit from the D200 or if its 1.. too much, 2. not worth doubel the cost of my D70s, thus get another D70s with maybe a 17-55 f2.8 for her to use??

what do u guys/girls think...

1. link to compare AF speeds and other crap
    2. D200 worth 2x the D70s
    3. not doing pro sports, so i am SURE the d70s is fast enough?

i guess i am lucky my wife lets me waste money..

thanks all
    NIKON D300/W BAT GRIP!
    sigma 18-200 dc
    Nikkor 70-200VR
    SB-800
    Extreme III 1GB card
    Extreme II 2gb card
    Lexar professional 1GB
    STEALTH REPORTER 650AW
    Tiffen UV filter

Quote Originally Posted by phatkid77
    i have been reading "the D70s is too slow, shutter lag, only 3FPS, bad AF system, weak AF motor, etc etc for sports photography"

1. is there a link that compares AF time/power? and other relavent data of comparable cameras?
    Most of the basic data can be found side-by-side HERE. But auto-focus speed is relative (depends on things like lens used and distance), so I don't know anywhere that can actually give any objective comparison. If you're shooting for on-site photos to sell, you certainly don't need 10MP. The continuous frame speed would obviously help, especially if you had the time to cull the single good one from numerous surrounding shots, but again, that would probably be better left till you're home in front of the computer with more time on your hands. I don't know about the other D70 issues you mention, but of the two cameras--and limited to the business of selling photos on-site, I'd tend to go with the D70.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

i didnt want to spend this much money, but after fiddling with the 180 f2.8, i need something.....

and alittle sooner than i expected, but our new friends (our wedding photogs we hired) liked the photos i took and want to "hire" me for hockey tourneys/ basketball, and if interested do weddings next yr (weddings intimidate me alone, but with knowledgable people i shall be comfortable)they also like the fact i can dabble in photoshop (they set up on site and print action shots immediately) so i could do that too (translastion, if i take shitty pics!!! lol)
    so i want the 70-200 VR.....i can justify if i make i bit of money, then its not just a $2000 hobby lens right!?!?!?

BUT NOW THE WIFE IS MAD, she says i am stealing her thunder, she WANTED to get into photography....(she has $25bucks saved up...lol)

so i could get retarded and get another body, but wonder if I could benefit from the D200 or if its 1.. too much, 2. not worth doubel the cost of my D70s, thus get another D70s with maybe a 17-55 f2.8 for her to use??

what do u guys/girls think...

1. link to compare AF speeds and other crap
    2. D200 worth 2x the D70s
    3. not doing pro sports, so i am SURE the d70s is fast enough?

i guess i am lucky my wife lets me waste money..

thanks all
    I think everything else you wrote is irrelevant. You have the money to get another camera, your wife has expressed an interest, and you haven't gotten her a camera yet? You are the kind that gives us Y chromosome types a bad name. You do know that Valentines Day is tomorrow, and that it's really not about supporting the Hallmark Card business?

The value of the D200 is only as much as you decide it is. I cannot tell you. For me, I would still have a D70 if mine hadn't been stolen. I couldn't justify buying the D200. But since it was stolen and the insurance company is supplementing a new purchase, it was worth the extra -- to me.

The D70 is not the worlds greatest sports cam. It's only 3 shots per second. But, there have been a lot of really great sports photographers that left their camera on single shot mode, because you regularly get the great shot because you are good, not because you are lucky.

AFTER you go get your wife a D70s or D50, I recommend you concentrate on great glass. That's what will get you more chances at really great photos.

Save a few (quite a few) bucks and get the 80-200 AF-S or the Sigma 70-200 HSM if you really feel you need that type of lens. VR won't really help on moving subjects anyway! Just my 2 cents
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Quote Originally Posted by Jason25
    Save a few (quite a few) bucks and get the 80-200 AF-S or the Sigma 70-200 HSM if you really feel you need that type of lens. VR won't really help on moving subjects anyway! Just my 2 cents
    Make that 4 cents

And, the AF of the D70s is very good. And if I am not mistaken the motor is different from lens to lens, so I do not know what you have been reading, but it seems like you should not take them too serious.

As far as I can see, you just have to learn how to deal with lower light sports photos. You can not do magic with not much light, so you have to learn how to do that with f2.8 lenses like the 180mm you have now.

And I agree with Eric, a D50 for your wife for valentines day
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

thanks guys......the D70s is not even $200 more, so i would just get another one of them.....

as far as the 80-700 AF-s, can't get these new anymore? correct

i've read (limited tho) that the nikon locks on better in low light VS the sigma. and the Sigma has issues in cold weather?

i like the idea of the VR, and if i get new, my buddy whom deals with store X all the time....i asked him to get a deal for the 70-200 VR and the SB 800, he automatically saves the 8% for owning a buisness, so any extra would be great!

cory
    NIKON D300/W BAT GRIP!
    sigma 18-200 dc
    Nikkor 70-200VR
    SB-800
    Extreme III 1GB card
    Extreme II 2gb card
    Lexar professional 1GB
    STEALTH REPORTER 650AW
    Tiffen UV filter

thanks guys......the D70s is not even $200 more, so i would just get another one of them.....

as far as the 80-700 AF-s, can't get these new anymore? correct

i've read (limited tho) that the nikon locks on better in low light VS the sigma. and the Sigma has issues in cold weather?

i like the idea of the VR, and if i get new, my buddy whom deals with store X all the time....i asked him to get a deal for the 70-200 VR and the SB 800, he automatically saves the 8% for owning a buisness, so any extra would be great!

cory
    The AF 80-200 f/2.8 D isn't an AF-S lens, and it is available new for about $900. I've not heard of cold weather problems with Sigmas. I've found that Sigma's with HSM are just as fast as Nikkor AF-S.

If you can spring for it, the Nikor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VR is a terrific lens, and you will never regret spending the extra money. The SB800 (or 600) is also a must have.

Good shootin'.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Lot's of great wedding photogs shoot with D70's, your money is better spent on glass. If you are even considering entering the wedding game, you should spring for the 70-200 VR. It won't make much difference at hockey games, but it sure will in dark churches and reception halls!
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

perfects.....thats all i needed....lol

i am getting the SB 800 as a quote ive read online "you'll never find your self saying i wish i had a less powerful flash""

thanks again

cory
    NIKON D300/W BAT GRIP!
    sigma 18-200 dc
    Nikkor 70-200VR
    SB-800
    Extreme III 1GB card
    Extreme II 2gb card
    Lexar professional 1GB
    STEALTH REPORTER 650AW
    Tiffen UV filter

You're right, the 80-200 AF-S has been replaced by the 70-200, but there is such an animal

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200afs.htm
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10