Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help me decide between D50 and D70s kits

I know the D70s kit lens is superior to the D50 kit lens. I wonder if the better D70s body and better lens will result in noticeably better photos than the D50 kit. The difference between the two is 500 bucks.

Any big reason(s) to recommend one over the other? Is the difference between the two really worth 500 dollars? I will use the camera for a variety of things, including available light, action photography, family, portait, landscape, and macro.

I did notice that the D7os felt a little more comfortable in my hand.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sandy

D50 vs D70

I recently purchased a D50 from Beach Camera (my first dSLR) and I have not regretted the decision. My first SLR was a Canon EOS Elan IIe which was a beautiful camera and I initially wanted to stick with Canon. Therefore my leading candidates for a dSLR included the EOS 350XT, the D70, and the D50. After reading numerous reviews, it seems that for most amateurs and enthusiasts, you will get great results with any of the Nikon/Canon dSLR's. (I am not as familiar with Olympus/Pentax/Fuji so I can't comment) Decisions should come down to budget, feel of the camera, and specific features that appeal to your specific needs. I chose the D50 as it is slightly more compact than the D70, (although not as small as the Canon), and produces great results out of the box with the kit lens (18-55mm). I crossed off the Canon after playing with it in the stores. Although the ergonomics/fit and finish of my old Elan IIe were fantastic, the plastics and hand grip of the XT didn't feel as good in my hand. For around $600 the D50 w/ the 18-55m kit lens offers a terrific value and exceptional performance which is hard to beat. Good Luck and keep us posted!

The D70s is a big bigger and heavier, it also is the oldest of the two. The D50 gives the nicest results out of camera with JPEG. I am not sure if that advantage is as big when you use RAW, but for RAW you have to factor in an extra 100$ (or more, depending in what country you live) for Nikon's excellent Nikon Capture 4.

The D70s processes the images a bit more in-camera, and that can lead to artifacts (it can, does not mean it will show up in most photos). It has a lighted info display, a depth of field contol button (closes aperture so you can see the resulting depth of field through the lens), more AF points, more white balance options, more advanced falsh options (for when you use more than 1 flash light).

The d70s's kit lens may be superior in build quality, but maybe not in optical performance... it vignets rather extreme at 18mm, and distortion (barrel and pincushion) are quite evident. The 18-55 D50 kit lens is surprisingly capabale, even though its build quality is less. It is a nice contrasty lens.

The D50 has a bit better image quality, USB 2.0 instead of the D70s's USB 1.1, and its more compact.

It is up to you to choose which one you prefer, both are very nice cameras. The D50 will leave you with more financial room for nice lenses.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Help me decide between D50 and D70s kits

Thanks both of you for your excellent responses. Unless I learn of some other overwhelming reasons, I will likely go with the D50 and save a bunch of money.

If I had the dough to spare, I would buy the D200 without much question, with the higher megapixel count, fps, and aperture compatibility with older Nikon lenses etc. But, the D50 sounds like a good compromise, As the song goes, "You can't always get what you want....." But then, there is always something else, like the D5. I certainly don't drive a Caddy, so I'm accustomed to compromises as is most of the world.

The one last major concern I have is if the 6.1 megapixels are enough for me. I won't blow anything up larger than 11 x 14, even that will be rare. But I like to enlarge and crop details at times, and I hope the pixel count will sustain me for a few years. (buyer's remorse- After all, sharpness is one thing a camera needs to do well). I know technology advances, and I don't need to be up with the latest of anything (I still run Windows 2000), but for my cropping interests that is my concern. My wife especially hopes this camera will be a long term keeper.

I look forward to any comments on this you folks would have. I am trying the D50 out at home now as Walmart has a liberal return policy. Somehow, I can't help wondering if 8 or 10 megapixels would make a significant difference in my photos.

Best,

Sandy

Have a look at this article: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Basically, doubling the number of pixels on a CCD only increases effective print length and width by 41% given the same pixels/inch.

Going from 6 to 8 mp would increase the effective print size by 15% (square root of 8/6).

Bottom line, 6.1 mp should serve you well for many years to come.

-murray

D50 versus D70s

Quote Originally Posted by murrays

Basically, doubling the number of pixels on a CCD only increases effective print length and width by 41% given the same pixels/inch.

Going from 6 to 8 mp would increase the effective print size by 15% (square root of 8/6).

-murray
    This post is a stunning revelation for me. Thank you, Murray. I am more comfortable than ever with my decision to go D50. At age 62, I am still amazed at the wealth of knowledge that exists in cyberspace.

Very grateful,

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by murrays

-murray
    An outstanding read definately explains a lot. I'm just going to have fun.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Difference in 6 MP vs 8 MP size

The Nikon D50 which is a 6MP camera produces 3008 x 2000 pixels
    The Canon 350 XT which is an 8MP camera prodcues 3456 x 2304 pixels
    The Nikon D200 which is 10 MP produces 3,872 x 2,592 pixel images

Do note that when you go from a 6 to 8 to 10 megapixels, you are not getting a linear increase in pixel counts. For example, going from 6 to 8 MP, you gain a 15% increase in pixel count in each linear dimension. Going from 6MP to 10, you gain a 29% increase in pixel count in each linear dimension. If those differences are important, than it may be worth it to get the extra pixel count to play with - especially if you are planning to do alot of cropping. Of course going from a 6 MP D50 at $600 to a D200 at $2000 comes at a 233% premium

Was D50 vs D70s now Nikon zoom lens

Now that I decided on the D50 kit, what do you folks think of the 55 to 200 zoom nikon lens (G lens-not true ED) that comes with the nikon D50 2 lens kit? Lens retails at $270.00 alone. The 70 to 300 ED Nikon lens alone retails locally at $350.00. Circuit City has the two lens D50 kit for $855.00 plus tax.
    Thanks for all your help.

Sandy

It is up to you to choose which one you prefer, both are very nice cameras. The D50 will leave you with more financial room for nice lenses.

I ordered the D50 one lens kit from "Dbuys" at $589.00 complete. They had the lowest price, five stars, and many positive reviews. On the phone, I found them to be rather rude when I asked lots of questions, including what was in the kit, whether this was not a gray market item, full USA Nikon warranty, etc.

So, my question is, how can I tell if this is the real McCoy or a gray market item? When I will receive it in a few days, I will have ten days to return it. Do you guys have any experience with this outfit?

Thanks,

Sandy